New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: This Mills is available near me what do you think?  (Read 2738 times)

Offline RobinAK

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • RobinAK New User barely matters.RobinAK New User barely matters.
  • NLG
This Mills is available near me what do you think?
« on: April 12, 2021, 09:25:20 PM »
So I think its working. I'm waiting to confirm.  Haven't see it in person. What does a machine like this sell for? I have no idea whats reasonable. I have no idea what to look for. I have no exp when it comes to a machine like this.

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 300
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: This Mills is available near me what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 06:55:29 AM »
Since some of these machines have been reproduced, the price has been driven down. I have people trying to sell me their antique machines, asking big money, some sources I know will tell me what machines are going for and what price they will purchase them ,common machine types (how many were made), coin type (quarter machines are more desirable)  and condition are factors used to determine prices.   

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 265
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 08:21:27 AM »
Golden Nugget machines are highly reproduced. Some back as far as the 70's I believe. This is a Mills High Top but those of course have been reproduced as well. I suspect this one has been repainted. I see some bumps and rough spots. 
Can you post a photo of the mechanism? That's important to see. A super shiny mechanism may indicate a reproduction rather than one that's seen 70 years of use. Does it have the key for the back door. And, inside that door should be a small door, locked with a different key. Removing that door enables access to the cash box. Having an original cash box inside adds more value to the machine as well. A close up photo of the award card would be nice. Reproduction cards were just printed on metal whereas originals have the symbols embedded in the metal. Some reproduction machines paid out for a single cherry "win" as well. My '47 Mills pays out only when two cherries are hit.
Also, it has a "jackpot." It's that glass in front with nothing behind it. When you play the machine, that "pot" fills with coins, once the coin payout tube fills.
It works like this: After winless plays, that tube fills, then all subsequent coins are pushed into the jackpot. Once that reservoir fills, the coins are then diverted to the oh-so-wonderful cash box, where the owner made his profit. But, time to time the lucky player will hit three bars.  :propeller:
THIS TAKES JACKPOT is seen above the three bars on the award card.
That hit releases a holding door that drops all those coins behind the window into the tray, along with 20 more from the coin tube.
What all that said, It's important to make sure those mechanisms are all there. When the machine mechanism is removed, you will see the jackpot mechanism on the inside, or you SHOULD see it. Otherwise you will have to buy all the parts. It's no fun to have a jackpot machine without the jackpot. Takes away the fun of playing the machine!  :talktothehand:
What's he asking for it? Generally, antique machines maintain a higher value regardless of location as opposed to newer (80's 90's 00's) machines that can vary state to state.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 08:45:12 AM by shortrackskater »
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline 63mini

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 115
  • 63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 06:33:13 AM »
RobinAK,

From your photos, that's a pretty nice looking Mills Hi-Top.  Did you end up with it?  It does have a reproduction back door.  Also, it appears the reels are sitting a bit to the left in the photo (They made need a slight adjustment).

As, shortrackskater mentioned.  Be sure that it's complete.  Quite a few Hi-Top's had their jackpot assemblies removed.  If you can get photos from the seller showing the insides and the mech. that would help.

Offline RobinAK

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 06:44:46 AM »
Thank you all for some great information. I feel much better having some clue of what to look for. So as of now. I have not see the machine. The seller is very slow to respond. He is asking 800 with make me an offer. He said it does work but it is jammed he knows how to un jamm it but is having a hard time locating the key to do so. So as of now no access to the insides.

Offline RobinAK

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 06:46:50 AM »

How can you tell the door is a reproduction? I trust your information.. just wanting to learn.  Thanks!

RobinAK,

From your photos, that's a pretty nice looking Mills Hi-Top.  Did you end up with it?  It does have a reproduction back door.  Also, it appears the reels are sitting a bit to the left in the photo (They made need a slight adjustment).

As, shortrackskater mentioned.  Be sure that it's complete.  Quite a few Hi-Top's had their jackpot assemblies removed.  If you can get photos from the seller showing the insides and the mech. that would help.

Offline 63mini

• Sr NLG Member
  • 63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 07:10:19 AM »
RobinAK,

On that machine the door should look like the one pictured below.  They were stamped and not flat.  However, there are a few reproduction ones that look very similar to these.  The asking price seems fair but, I would not jump on it unless I could see the inside and play it.  As for the jamming.  Most of these machine will suffer from grease that hardens with age and will cause binding and jamming.  It may just need disassembly, cleaning and re-lubrication.

I have also attached a photo of one I picked up a few months ago for $450.  It was missing the escalator and is a bit of a Franken Machine.  So, as you can see the machine you are looking at is better condition.

Offline RobinAK

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 02:01:34 AM »
Well... I now own the machine... I'm worried  :CaptainHappy_worried: lol. I don't think its looking good. But you guys know way more than me. So I could not see inside. Seller never found the key. Once home I drilled the lock. So here we go. First photo is on the wood base. Some sorta stamped number at the rear of the machine. The 2nd is what I saw when I got the rear door removed. Gotta be a buck in nickles inside the machine. At least I'm making money back right away  :rotfl: . No jackpot mech. So thats a bummer. The cash box is there. but the door for it is not.   

Offline RobinAK

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 02:02:55 AM »
More pics. So I'll say what I paid after I get the bad news  :24: .

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 08:57:04 AM »
In 90% of the cases, jamming is caused by the escalator.
And in your machine, look at the first photo you posted. You'll see the spacing is different with the first two nickels from the left. THAT's the jam right there.
NEVER force the handle in a jam situation or you'll damage more parts. Rebuilding escalators is fairly easy. Sometimes they just cleaning since they get gummed up. Try placing that nickel where it should be in relation to the normal spacing. And look at the nickel to make sure it isn't damaged. I had a tweaked nickel that caused a jam.
From the photos, which are hard to see when zoomed in (not sure what you're using the resolution is horrible), the front casting looks reproduction to me. Plus it doesn't align with the rest of the machine as seen in the first photos you posted.
It looks like a jackpot mechanism was never there which further re-enforces that I think the front is repo. The rest of the case may be original and perhaps most or part of the mechanism.
Hopefully that wasn't an original lock on a repo back door. If so, you just drilled about $150 into metal bits. The existence of a cash box is good.
If it works, or you can make it work eventually, then all is not wasted.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 09:14:16 AM by shortrackskater »
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 09:15:12 AM »
RobinAK
I've updated my response three times so read it again if you're posting now.  :yes:

Offline 63mini

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 10:29:20 AM »
RobinAK,

Well, I guess congrats on your purchase.  It's a shame the seller couldn't have provided interior photos beforehand.  Now, that you have it opened up this is where the surprises start.  It appears that the mech is newer.  Maybe, from a Sega machine or re-cast.  Are there any "MLB" part numbers in the metal castings of the mech.  They would be similar to the one on the front castings.

As shortrackskater mentioned.  You do have a jam in the escalator as seen in the third photo you posted today.  I would try clearing that jam.  If it keeps jamming up then, the escalator may need to be disassembled, cleaned and lubed.

Offline RobinAK

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2021, 11:05:20 AM »
Of the mech parts that I have found numbers on I have not seen MLB 😔. Im thinking maybe just makenit work and keepnit or sell it off and break even or part it out... last night it was getting late. Will spend some more time on it before making any decisions.

Offline 63mini

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2021, 11:52:39 AM »
 Looking at some of the photos again it appears that some of the parts may be cast aluminum.  Does a magnet stick to the left side "A" frame and the operating fork on the back?  The operating fork will be the round bar that goes across the back just above the clock.

I would say for now to keep it and play with it. At least, it will help with the inner workings of the game.  That education is worth something.

Offline RobinAK

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2021, 12:03:21 PM »
I think its been painted. I will mag test tonight. Im thinking ill keep it at least for now also. Learn about it. Hopefully get it working. Go from there.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2021, 07:51:52 AM »
Looking at some of the photos again it appears that some of the parts may be cast aluminum. 

Ed - I also forgot to mention, those "R MLB" numbers concern me. I'm far from expert on these, but I've never seen that number on my Mills slots. Could the R mean reproduction?

Robin - Sooooooooooooo what did you pay for this machine??? We're dying to know!  :propeller:

Offline RobinAK

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2021, 08:23:39 AM »
Yeah I was thinking the same with the "R". The tray the reels sit on in the cabinet also has a MLB number on it but with no R. I got the reels to spin last night. Not 100% function reel mech by any means but they did spin.  The A frame and the Bar are not magnetic. Sorry I thought I posted what I paid in one of my replies. I paid 400.00  :banghead: :24: . I think I am going to go through it and get it functional. Probably keep it just because its my only pure mechanical. Or until I find something to replace it then see if I can recoup some cash. I gave the seller a polite update. Hes feels really bad. Monday I'm meeting him to pick up my new unused kegerator set up from him for free  :rotfl: . That will go up for sale when I get it home.Should get a few hundred from it.  So not really to bad of a deal in the end. Oh and yesterday I scored a S200 haywire and a S+ Go Bananas for 200. So I'm already getting back on the up side from my mills investment  :24:

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2021, 08:31:32 AM »
Before you overbuy stuff... get that escalator unjammed. There should be three (or 4) screws holding it on, I think. It will come straight out. Place it down and shoot photos of it before you take anything apart. It probably just needs cleaning.
And for more extensive reading... head over to
https://coinopcollectorforum.com
Create an account and just browse through. I'm there under the same username. Member "Monti" is great with parts and information and owns a nice shop up in a part of California I've never heard of... way north of me!!
If the site asks you for a code, and you don't get it, let me know and I'll PM it to you.

Offline RobinAK

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2021, 08:46:11 AM »
Overbuy slots? Is that possible?  :24: . Thanks for the link. I know of Monti. Got a couple parts from him for my EM. The Mills will probly turn in to a later on project. Im in Alaska.. snows finally melting. Its summer time and the slots will be on the back burner for the most part. Cant pass up on IGT's. Slots in general are not too common around here.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal