New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: AVP 3.0 Brainbox Issues  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Ash100

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 65
  • Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!
  • NLG
AVP 3.0 Brainbox Issues
« on: March 18, 2022, 10:59:45 AM »
I've got a few SMLDs and G20s and every one of them have a standard 3.0 or 3.0M Brainbox, and they're all problematic.

Is this just the nature of the beast? It seems like they'll only boot when they feel like it, or just shut down and re-boot during game play. I've even got one that starts to boot, makes the beep and the Splash Screen and then nothing for an hour.

Another won't even boot with the eKey and Diagnostic, but I just set it up and enabled the games.

I don't know if they're just worn out or were garbage to begin with. I'm hesitant to buy any more 3.0 MPUs to replace them if they're just going to do the same thing.

So, my questions are this..

What fails causing a no boot condition? Or makes one shut down and reboot over and over?

Is there any advantage of upgrading to a 625 or 660 Brainbox and eliminating these older ones all together?

Would the 625 and 660 be more stable and have a longer lifespan?

Thanks.

Curtis ash100
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 12:30:02 PM by Ash100 »
Eat 'till you're tired, Sleep 'till you're hungry

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
Re: AVP 3.0 Brainbox Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 12:04:00 PM »
A lot of these had a lot of service time, so the caps on the mainboards begin to fail.  The 625's and 660's are newer, so they will typically have less miles on them.  I have a couple of 3.0 and 3.0M boxes that periodically reboot requiring a cabinet memory clear, and they are now spare parts.  I had my G23 randomly freeze and boot during gameplay, but I isolated that to the main power supply (I found bulging caps inside).  I replaced it with a newly capped power supply and the reboot issues went away. I suggest you open up the main power supply and look at the caps carefully, that may fix some of your issues.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Ash100

• Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 01:10:46 PM »
Thanks Rick,

After doing a little more research and reading your "Observations from a Noob" post in 2017, I was able to piece together a few MPUs over the last few days.

Since I had so many dead ones laying around, I decided to organize them by types and part them out.

I took all of the good working main boards and upgraded them to the Turion 2.1ghz Processor making them 3.0M models. I also upgraded the RAM to 4gb and tried a PNY SSD in them.

That alone made a huge difference.

Next step is to find a few of the e4690 Video Cards and I should end up with 3 good playing Brainboxes.

I did notice, however, that the weakest link in these systems seems to be the PCI Card.

3 of the 6 I have all failed the read/write tests and error out during wipes. I'm not aware of any way to clean up a bad sector, so they will just go into a box until someone decides that they might be able to repair or replace the memory chips.

And finding the video cards may also be a problem, as they now seem to be obsolete. I'm wondering if there is a good suitable sub out there that will work in place of the e4690?

I see the red ones from the 2.0 come up from time to time, but am unsure if they would work. So I am hesitant to buy one to try out.

Thanks again for your insight.

I'll post again if I make any more progress.

Curtis ash100

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 02:17:03 PM »
For 3.0 you have to use the E4690's to the best of my knowledge, but honestly I've never even tried the old ones.  The video cards only help on some of the newer games, but regular avp fam 14 games will work without a video card.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Ash100

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 10:31:30 AM »
I did confirm from a friend/tech that the older red cards form the 2.0's will not work in the 3.0 Brainboxes.

I was able to purchase another 3.0M Brainbox that has the e4690 Video Card installed.

The problem I'm having now while testing this box is this.

With the Video Card removed and using the standard video outs from the MPU Board, I get the correct image on both upper and lower monitors, but I have no touchscreen function. When booting to the Diagnostic and trying the Touchscreen Calibration Wizard, it tells me there is no active touchscreen available.

Is that a problem with the MPU itself?

So, I installed the Video Card into the Brainbox and hooked up the Top Monitor DVI Cable to the right output on the Card and booted to the Diagnostic. I received a No Sync message on the Lower Monitor and the Diagnostic Menu appeared on the Top Monitor. Which is a non-touch.

I powered down and switched the cable to the left output of the Video Card and got the same exact thing (Image on Top). Is there a Top and Bottom on these cards?

With the Video Card still installed, I hooked everything back up the old way to the supplied outputs on the MPU. That just gives me a No Sync message on both Monitors. So, I guess the Video Card overrides the normal outputs?

I don't have the DVI to VGA Adapter/Cable yet to see if I can get the correct images on both Monitors. I'll try that once it shows up.

Am I doing any of this correctly?

That's my main question.

And I'm hoping I didn't receive a bad Brainbox since the Touchscreen won't work with the Video Card removed.

Thanks,

Curtis ash100

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2022, 07:51:06 AM »
When you use a video card, both monitors must be connected to the video card.  Your assertion is correct, when the video card is installed, the on-board video connectors are disabled.  My boxes are installed horizontally, so the bottom connection goes to the bottom monitor and the top connection goes to the top.  The touchscreens on these machines are usb based, so if you are getting a no touchscreen present error, I suggest you look at your USB bus to see what is going on (loose/bad cable, etc).

Offline Ash100

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2022, 02:04:06 PM »
Almost good news.

I bought an adapter to go from DVI to VGA, which now I think wasn't a good idea, I've since then ordered an actual cable with the different ends instead of the adapter. 

My Video Card works, I think anyway. I have the correct images on both screens and the Touchscreen issue disappeared.

This is what I'm facing now. See photos.

The menu page, and only the menu page displays incorrectly. Notice the Tab for Roulette, it's buried off to the side somehow and the games aren't centered. Possibly to do with that adapter?

The actual game screen is displayed correctly though. Which is weird.

So, either the Adapter I'm using isn't working correctly or I've got a bad load from my Game King Loader.

I'll update this again after the cable swap.

Curtis ash100

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 405
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2023, 06:47:04 PM »
Ash,
Did you ever resolve this menu screen being off like that?
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Slotman

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Slotman New User barely matters.Slotman New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2023, 05:57:50 AM »
I have setup at least a dozen G20/G23 with 4690 video cards and have used this DVI to VGA adapter while keeping everything else stock.  This is an Active adapter so it actively converts the signal and doesnt just do a pin swap like a cord would.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3XZ9SD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have also used this with good luck.  Notice it is "active" as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09XN1NHG6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal