New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: IGT G23 Upper monitor  (Read 4430 times)

Offline Red_Devils

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Red_Devils New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: IGT G23 Upper monitor
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2022, 02:25:25 PM »
I was getting +25v on the 3 red wires, but the fan on the side of the MPU is locked up, I tried to move the blades of the fan but they wouldn't move :(

Offline Red_Devils

• NLG
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2022, 02:26:56 PM »
I was getting +25v on all 3 red wires, but I tried to turn the fan on the side but it's completely locked up I couldn't move it :(

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2022, 02:39:36 PM »
No airflow in these things is not good, it will definitely kill the mpu.  When you power up, you should hear a "beep" within a few seconds.  If you are not hearing that, then your mpu is most likely bad.  Since the rest of the machine powers up, you don't have a short (which is good).  Also keep your eye on the red LED that is next the white switch on the right hand side of the MPU (where the ribbon cable plugs in). After power up, the little light should blink once.  If it doesn't, it means there's no power to the mpu.  You may want to pull the mpu out, remove the top cover and have a look to make sure everything inside is plugged in.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Red_Devils

• NLG
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2022, 02:50:28 PM »
Rick, There's no beep and I've never seen the red light flash. It will try and pull it out to check the connections, but I fear the dropping of the machine by the shippers has more than likely damaged something. I need to get a hold of the seller to let him know that besides the outside damage the machine has more issues.  :'(

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 384
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2022, 02:54:17 PM »
+25VDC?  It should be +12VDC.  Something isn't right there.  Hopefully your meter, because if your power supply is putting out +25VDC on a +12VDC line you're going to have some problems for sure.  Check it again with a different meter if you have one.

Offline Red_Devils

• NLG
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2022, 03:14:04 PM »
+25VDC?  It should be +12VDC.  Something isn't right there.  Hopefully your meter, because if your power supply is putting out +25VDC on a +12VDC line you're going to have some problems for sure.  Check it again with a different meter if you have one.

That's totally my bad, I'm always picking the wrong voltage on my MM  :ashamed:

I pulled the MPU and all connections are snug and tight, there is no power getting to the board, the small fan inside doesn't spin and I goofed on the large fan it is fine, it spins freely. I would suspect the power board in the MPU is bad, seeing as power is going in from the connector but nothing is reaching the board inside.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2022, 03:54:42 PM »
That's OK, better that than having +25VDC on that line! 

It sounds like you may have a bad ATX power supply, but it may be something else on the MPU board too.  Sounds like you've checked for the obvious, so I agree, it's time to let the seller know you have other issues in addition to the physical damage.

BTW I was really surprised to see the top monitor appears to work, but there may be damage not visible until you have a full screen image on it.

Offline Red_Devils

• NLG
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2022, 04:46:11 PM »
i would just like to thank you guys for all your help. I have written to the seller and I will update you all with any new information.

I was surprised also to see the screen saver moving around the top monitor and it doesn't seem to have any internal damage but, the are plenty of scratches and dings because of the broken glass. It definitely needs a new monitor along with probably a whole new top box assembly and now the MPU has issues. I think it's best if he can take it back and send me a new one. I knew I shouldn't have accepted the delivery when I heard the glass dropping when they delivered it, oh well we all make dumb mistakes, I was just excited to receive the game after a month of waiting for it :)

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2022, 05:16:06 PM »
Glad to help.  Yeah, it probably would have been best to refuse the shipment, but live and learn as they say.  Hopefully the seller will take care of it satisfactorily. 

Offline Red_Devils

• NLG
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2022, 03:32:36 PM »
So I have an update. I contacted the seller and he said he'll send me a new machine and to keep this one for parts. So I'm a tinkerer and while I'm waiting I thought I would try and figure this out.
I bought a new AUX power board but it doesn't look the same as the old one I took out, it was $100 so I thought why not. Anyway after swapping the board nothing changed, still the MPU failed to power up. I once again checked the 12VDC on the red wires and it was good. But it's still now pushing 12VDC to the board, I checked all 24 connections on the connector and I'm getting a couple of +5VDC but on the rails there is supposed to be +12VDC iss only showing .39VDC. So I connected an external ATX power supply to the box and the big fan on the side fires up but the CPU fan turns a little then stops, hmmmmm not good I think, I did hook up all the connectors to the game and the little red light flashes on the far right PCI card and it looks like it's getting power. But as I suspected after a couple of mins of it being powered on I hear a beeep, beeep from the board and of course the CPU is getting overheated because the fan isn't running. My question is in your guys's opinion do you think this mainboard is faulty and if the CPU overheated could that cause the machine to not send +12VDC power to it? I'm really scratching my head here because ever though the machine was dropped I can't see that causing issues with the mainboard.
Even connecting the machine to an external ATX power supply I still never saw a signal come to the monitors

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2022, 04:44:37 PM »
That's really generous of your seller!  You'll have a bunch of good spare parts if you do have a problem with the other new one.

Which ATX board came out of your machine, the one on the left?  I have a brand new one you're welcome to and see if it helps with your problem.  The ATX power supply should have +5VDC, +12VDC, +3.3VDC, -12VDC, and a 5VDC standby.  It appears yours is missing some of them. 

I never paid any attention to the fan on the CPU so I took the top cover off and powered it up.  The CPU fan comes on for a second or two, then turns back off.  A couple of seconds later it comes back on again followed by a single beep, then the CPU starts the bootup process and displays' the Blue AVP screen on the upper and lower monitor.  The beeps are part of the power on self test.  How many beeps does yours make?

Offline Red_Devils

• NLG
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2022, 05:09:04 PM »
The ATX power supply on the right is the one I took out of the machine. The one on the right is what I replaced it with.

Yeah, the CPU fan turns on for a second on power up but never comes back on again. it stays like that for about 2 minutes them makes a beep, pause beep, pause beep and doesn't stop, no signal to the monitors and the heat sink for the CPU is too hot to touch. Did you notice on the IGT PCI card that there are 4 green and 4 amber lights on it, is that how yours is? This is when it's powered by an external power supply.

The only places I've seen on the internet to replace the mainboard is you have to buy the whole brainbox and that costs $500 plus shipping and I don't know for sure if that's what the issue is  :banghead:

Offline Red_Devils

• NLG
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2022, 05:10:58 PM »
"The one on the right is what I replaced it with."

Sorry the one on the left is the replacement

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2022, 05:56:57 PM »
That doesn't sound real good.  I wouldn't think the CPU should get that hot that fast.  My PCI card has the same lights lit as yours does.  Try reseating your RAM SIMMs if you haven't already, and pull the video card out and see if it will boot with it removed.  The video ports on the motherboard will be active when the plug in card is removed. 

Yes, some of the parts for these machines are pretty expensive.  Hopefully you can get this CPU working.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2022, 06:02:33 PM »
You may want to considering getting an ATX power supply tester.  I got one like this.   It doesn't load test it, but measures all the output voltages so you can see at a glance if something is missing or over/undervoltage.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q8SUYHW/

Offline Red_Devils

• NLG
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2022, 09:41:52 PM »
Tilt, I actually do have one of those testers not as fancy but it is showing me an issue I don't understand.
I can probe the 3 red wires and get 12VDC going in to the ATX but attaching the tester I'm only getting 5VDC which explains why the board isn't powering up. The issue is it does it on both the original board and the board I just bought. The exact same thing on both boards, what am I missing?

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2022, 10:08:04 PM »
It appears your tester isn't turning on the AVP power supply.  The only voltage it shows is the +5VDC Standby which is on all the time.

Offline Red_Devils

• NLG
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2022, 10:24:15 PM »
Tilt, That's the issue, the tester just shows the voltage going through the 24 pin connector, the other end of the 24 pin is plugged in to the ATX power supply and like I've probed before the tester is confirming that the ATX power supply's only delivering 5v to the pins that go to the mainboard and yet there is 12v being sent to the board. if I plug in the external power supply (from an old computer) all the lights on the tester are on, if I plug it in to the main board the fan on the side turns on and the IGT PCI card gets power but the machine doesn't boot, I hear no beep like the BIOS is booting, it stays on for a couple of minutes until the CPU starts to overheat because the CPU fan isn't turning on, then it starts to continually beep. There's no DIP switches on the small ATX boards I can see that would stop the 12v power from going through to the 24 pin connector as far as I can see.

It looks like I have 2 main issues;
1. The small ATX board in the machine isn't delivering anything but 5v to the 24 pin connectors, I have tried 3 different boards and all do the same thing
2. Bypassing the small ATX board and using an old computer power supply powers the motherboard but fails to boot the machine and the CPU fan isn't starting to keep the CPU from overheating.

Offline Red_Devils

• NLG
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2022, 10:58:32 PM »
Here's a pic showing 12VDC going in from the machine and nothing coming out at the 24 pins. It does the exact same thing on all 3 boards I have. :banghead:

Offline brewtoo

• brewtoo New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2022, 09:43:23 AM »
Your seller sounds like an honorable guy! Who was it?

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal