New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: IGT G23 Upper monitor  (Read 4554 times)

Offline Red_Devils

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Red_Devils New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: IGT G23 Upper monitor
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2022, 09:58:53 AM »
Your seller sounds like an honorable guy! Who was it?

James from In The New Age, Unfortunately he said it won't be ready to ship for another couple of weeks so that's why I'm trying to get this one working :)

Offline brewtoo

• brewtoo New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2022, 11:42:15 AM »
Keep after it! I bet you end up with two good machines before it’s over with. I enjoy tinkering with them more than playing them. Let me know if you want me to verify any voltages on my machine. I have the exact same MPU.

Offline Red_Devils

• NLG
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2022, 11:52:44 AM »
I appreciate it, but I don't know what to make of when I connect the small ATX board and there's 12VDC coming in to the board from the machine but nothing coming out of the 24 pins, I'm thinking maybe the 440W power supply could be bad, right now I'm at a loss and I have nobody else to ask :(

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2022, 02:58:56 PM »
Check your ATX power supply tester for continuity between pin 16 (PS_ON)  and pin 15.  Without the PS_ON signal being tied to ground the power supply will not turn on and all you'll get is the +5V Standby voltage.  This seems like a more likely cause than three AVP ATX PS boards being bad the same way.  I attached a pinout and a couple of pictures.  The AVP power supply does not use or generate a -12VDC output. 

The AVP ATX power supply is really a DC-DC converter.  It takes the 12VDC coming from the 440W PS and converts it to +12, +5, and +3.3VDC outputs. 

Have you tried checking the voltages right at the MPU ATX power supply connector?  Orange wires are +3.3, Red is +5, and yellow is +12.

Offline Red_Devils

• NLG
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2022, 06:07:27 PM »
Well I have some progress! I bought a new CPU fan and installed it, now I got the machine to power on using the external power supply still  no joy using the internal power supply. But I've now got a Red screen :(
Any help would be be greatly appreciated.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2022, 07:50:44 PM »
That's great!  I figured the CPU was fried.  Turn the jackpot reset like the screen says and see what happens next.  Do you have an Ekey 7 for it?

Offline Red_Devils

• NLG
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2022, 08:08:31 PM »
I turned the key and nothing happens, all the way to the right and then back again? I do have an E7 USB but I have no clue what to do with it. I inserted it into the brainbox and nothing happened. Like do I have to reboot it with the key inserted? Where is the test switch located?

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2022, 08:19:04 PM »
Yes, to the right or towards the rear of the machine.  It's a spring loaded switch and returns to the off position when you release it. 

Is the ribbon cable connected between PCI card & the cabinet controller board?  If you can get  the error to clear you'll probably need the ekey to re-enable the games.

Offline Red_Devils

• NLG
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2022, 08:34:31 PM »
Nothing happens when turning the key. I press the white button on the PCI card where the ribbon cable plugs in and nothing happens. I also unplugged and replugged in the ribbon cable from the brainbox and the backplane, error still doesn't go away, I swear I take one step forward and two back :(
If I'm right in thinking there's nothing I can do with the E7 key until this error goes away correct. Do you have any other ideas Tilt?
Thanks

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2022, 08:46:48 PM »
Sure seems that way doesn't it?  Let me dig through some drawings tomorrow and see if I can come up with anything.  Right now you're pretty much stuck until you can clear the error.  Do you have a diag usb drive too? 

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2022, 07:35:29 AM »
If turning the reset key doesn't clear the error, check the ribbon cable for damage and that it is connected firmly on both sides.  If it still doesn't work, you may have an issue with the PCI card where the grey ribbon cable plugs in, this is the card responsible for reading the door switches from the backplane to the mpu.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2022, 07:52:39 AM »
Here's the wiring diagram from the switch to the cabinet controller.  Check the switch for continuity and at J5 too. 

Offline Red_Devils

• NLG
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2022, 08:33:45 AM »
Tilt, I made a little more progress last night. The reason why I couldn't clear the error was because the backplane board wasn't fully seated in the socket. I pushed it in and rebooted then I was able to push the white reset button and see all the logs, I then turned the jackpot key and cleared the error. Now when it boots up to the game I'm unable to play. I think it's because there are credits on the game which I have no idea how to clear. Also There are 2 open door notifications at the top right of the screen (T and F) I don't know what these are for. I do have an Ekey and Diag key, but I'm not even sure if the diag key is working because when it's in the machine I don't see any difference in the menu options on the screen, but I can't make any changes with credits on the machine. I have tried hitting cash out and nothing happens. It seems the lower screen is locked and I can't change volume, cash out, add credits or anything. I think I'm so close to getting this game working. I have noticed that when the machine is started the bottom light on the candle is flashing. Thanks for sticking with me through this Tilt.

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 236
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2022, 08:40:45 AM »
T is top box
F is belly door

Diag key must be inserted along with the ekey7 before you turn machine on.

Offline Red_Devils

• NLG
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2022, 08:53:05 AM »
Is Top Box the upper monitor? Also will these door open notifications stop the machine from playing or doing anything? The Belly door isn't surprising because I have it powering from an external ATX power supply. Thanks for helping out a total novice :)

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2022, 08:56:57 AM »
Yes top box is top monitor, all doors must be in closed state for game to play.  You can pull the door cherry switches out to simulate a closed door state.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2022, 09:00:32 AM »
Nice work Red, you're almost there! :applause:

Yes, the open door errors will prevent the game from operating.  Here's pictures of the switch locations.  They have a maintenance feature, pull out on the white plunger and it will close the circuit for the door so you can operate with it open.  The topbox may not be closing correctly from the damage?

I was expecting to see "No game enabled" after you got by the red screen error, glad that you didn't have to go through the re-enabling process.

Edit:  Mark beat me to it.  Post for the pics anyhow.

Offline brewtoo

• brewtoo New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2022, 10:31:38 AM »
You can pull the door cherry switches out to simulate a closed door state.

Cool! I just learned something new!

Offline Red_Devils

• NLG
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2022, 06:49:34 AM »
The machine has been playing just fine now. The top box open notification is a little finicky due to the damage but it's ok. I just wanted to put here that if someone else has issues with a G23 and it turns out to be the CPU fan, then for some reason that will cut the power from the small ATX board. After I replaced the CPU fan everything started working again. I have put the machine back together and it's now working normally, well almost..... Now I have to wait for a battery to be delivered the Tell tale battery needs to be replaced :)

I just want to give a big thank you to everyone for all the help and advice, you guys have been awesome!  :hail:

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2022, 07:07:40 AM »
Leave machine turned on and that battery pack might charge enough to let you play.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal