New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: My Grandpa's ANTIQUE slot...what is it???  (Read 18925 times)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 263
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
My Grandpa's ANTIQUE slot...what is it???
« on: March 19, 2014, 10:24:56 AM »
THIS is what started it all for me. I have not seen this slot in about 40 years. I only had a mental picture of it. It was willed down to my uncle (who restored it) , and then to his daughter, my cousin, who decided to live a life of drinking, smoking and partying. As a result of that, the beloved slot (which she KNEW we all would have wanted it to stay in the family) was LOST, or sold, or given away... who knows.
Anyway... my sister received this "fine" picture of the slot. I did my best to enhance the blurry image but I don't know what the model was. I think it's a Mills and I see ".... of Quality" on the front. "Mints of Quality?"
Can anyone identify this machine and maybe post a picture of one similar? I'd be forever grateful!  :hail:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 05:43:27 AM by Ron (r273) »
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline SolidSilver

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 65
  • SolidSilver Is a rising star!SolidSilver Is a rising star!SolidSilver Is a rising star!SolidSilver Is a rising star!SolidSilver Is a rising star!SolidSilver Is a rising star!
  • NLG
Re: My Grandpa's ANTIQUE slot...what is it???
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »
It's not a Mills, it's a Jennings: even rarer.
The characteristic curve to the coin input is a clue to the Jennings origin.

Here's a picture of one, similar to yours, but with the product tower on the handle side;
yours seems to have been removed (?)

Gorgeous machine; I'll do some digging and see if I can come up with a more exact match photo,
and further information.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 04:33:40 PM »
 :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 10:13:47 PM »
Any different pics of a Jennings?

Offline ramegoom

• Reputation Power: 22
  • ramegoom New User barely matters.ramegoom New User barely matters.
  • NLG
    • Caspers Electronics, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 09:49:23 PM »
Here is one in my game room. It's a Jennings/Pace revamp, twin jack pot. The top casting looks exactly like your image, and the front is the "revamp" part made by Pace. I think it was fairly common to revamp the machines back in the day.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 12:16:50 AM »
 :thank_you:
Looks similar other than the twin payout area.

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 11:04:57 AM »
I have a Jennings Dutch Boy like this one pictured.. It's a 1926 Nickel Machine...

Gary
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline SolidSilver

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 65
  • SolidSilver Is a rising star!SolidSilver Is a rising star!SolidSilver Is a rising star!SolidSilver Is a rising star!SolidSilver Is a rising star!SolidSilver Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 06:50:14 PM »
Sorry for the delayed response: Uncle Sugar just let me come home after a week of playing in the dirt.
I swear, if God ever gives the world an enema, watch out Camp Pendleton!  :buttwiggle:

Anyway, such "vending" machines were attempts to slide slot machines under local anti-gambling laws,
from the early 1920's to the late 1930's. They usually didn't last long in any particular venue, as eventually
the Town Fathers would tighten up the rules; but in the meantime, they made money. In some cases, even the
name on the machine was doctored to sound like something other than a well-known slot maker like Mills.
The Burnham Gum Machine Works was one, and here's a pic of one that is very much like yours.
Others dispensed cigarettes, matches, and even golf balls at golf courses.

Here's also a closeup of the vending device. A pin projected from the side of the machine to unlock the
mint-drop door, through that not-quite-square plate visible on your slot machine.

By the way, most Jennings vendor units (and there were lots of them) had wooden lower-fronts, where the
payout cup was located. Yours is a bit rarer, as it has a metal plate in that location.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 10:18:05 AM »
Thanks for posting.
Yes I wish I knew what really happened to my grandpa's slot. I'd love to see the real thing instead of fuzzy pictures of it in the background.
Horrible to say this, but I will never forgive my cousin for losing it.  :no:   She knew the HUGE sentimental value of this machine and chose to smoke, drink, and probably snort this machine away for her fix. 
On a HAPPIER note ...
I still recall that, when I played with it, the machine was unrestored and I think the wood was painted blue. He was a member of some sort of "lodge" and this was their (illegal) slot machine. Somehow he ended up with it. My grandparents lived in a cool old house in Pasadena and when we'd go visit them, he would bring out the slot machine and put it on a table in a room that was behind their garage... the "rumpus" room. There were always nickles in it, but of course the machine would eventually gobble them all up. When that happened, there was a string on the back I could pull to release the handle and keep playing!

Offline Jackpot

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • Jackpot New User barely matters.Jackpot New User barely matters.
  • NLG
    • The Sugar Shack Antique coin operated machines
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 03:45:25 PM »
This is very interesting to me, so I did some research on it which includes several pages of photos and information. I scanned all this and will place it where you or anyone else can download it if you like. It may only be available for a while as it will expire. I'll post the link below at the end of this. I find your machine interesting because the very bottom of the front is made of metal, all of these Jennings Counter or Vendor fronts of this model the bottom panel under the vendor front is made of wood and not a metal casting. Also in the other models the top coin viewing window, on the top castings are not round like yours is. The only make and model I can find in my research that has a lower metal casting on it, and also has the round coin viewing window in the top casting, was made by Burnham Gum Machine works in 1924. But, this machine is a very rare example of this "Mints of Quality type of front" on a machine, and this Burnham machine has claw feet and I don't see those on your machine in your photo of it. By the way, value on the Burnham machine is listed as being worth from $4,000.00 and up to $5,000.00 but I really don't think yours was the Burnham model. It could be that this Mints of Quality front was put on another make or model of an old operator bell type of machine like yours, a machine like maybe an early Mills machine But...., and a Big Butt this is to add to all the confusion here is, that your machine does have the proper Jennings type pull handle, and only Jennings used this one. So, I'll have to research the mills machines of this age some, and see if I can spot one with the round magnifying glass coin viewing window on the top casting, and that metal bottom casting under this front casting. Early old operator bell machines did not have jackpots on them and they just had plane wood or casted aluminum fronts without jackpots, and later after the jackpot was invented by Callie route operators just added after market type jackpot fronts on them it to update the old machine. Someone could have done the same thing here on yours, but used a "Mints of Quality" front instead of a jackpot front. You got to love a good mystery! Sorry that your family's machine disappeared, but do yourself a favor and your sister too, forgive her, as this will be her burden to carry on her own. Forgive her, and you will feel a lot better about this. Then just go blow all your money and pick up one like it and I can help you there if needed. Here is that download link if anyone is interested:
https://www.hightail.com/download/ZUczZXR3UzhKV04zZU1UQw
This link is only good for 7 days or 100 downloads so once expired, if you would still like this file drop me a line as I will have it stored.
Jackpot  :soapbox_3:

P.S. I just found you an replacement tody! There is one on ebay right now at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jennings-Mints-of-Quality-c-1930s-Gorgeous-5-cent-Slot-Machine-Rare-/281333972369?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4180cfbd91
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 05:41:01 PM by Jackpot »
Buy-Sale-Repair-Restore old slot machines. I have parts for older mechanical slots, and also Bally E series, and others of this period and newer. http://www.coinslots.com

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 10:36:59 PM »
Thank you for all this research!!! I will download all this right now.
It was my cousin... not my sister though. Haven't seen the cousin in well over twenty years. I probably will never see her again. She pops up on my Facebook from time to time. Forgiving is difficult... but I'll try!

That is TOUGH seeing that one on ebay. I wonder if it's was my Grandpa's? Funny... it was in Pasadena originally. Then to San Diego, where my cousin "lost" it. The picture I posted was from at least 20 years ago I'd think so it easily could have had another restoration. Who knows.  :(

Offline Jackpot

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 02:13:16 AM »
THIS is what started it all for me. I have not seen this slot in about 40 years. I only had a mental picture of it. It was willed down to my uncle (who restored it) , and then to his daughter, my cousin, who decided to live a life of drinking, smoking and partying. As a result of that, the beloved slot (which she KNEW we all would have wanted it to stay in the family) was LOST, or sold, or given away... who knows.
Anyway... my sister received this "fine" picture of the slot. I did my best to enhance the blurry image but I don't know what the model was. I think it's a Mills and I see ".... of Quality" on the front. "Mints of Quality?"
Can anyone identify this machine and maybe post a picture of one similar? I'd be forever grateful!  :hail:

Drum Roll please!

I found it Shortrackskater!
Here is the perfict match to your machine and what it is called. I finally located the right photo for you with the lower casted front, A 1923 Jennings Automatic Mint Vendor. This information is attached as a photo for you here, with information.
Jackpot  :applause: :dancing_2: :applause: :wave:
Buy-Sale-Repair-Restore old slot machines. I have parts for older mechanical slots, and also Bally E series, and others of this period and newer. http://www.coinslots.com

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 09:18:05 AM »
THANK YOU!!! That's amazing... from an old blurry picture, that just caught the slot in the background, you've come up with THE machine.
 :applause: :hail: :hail: :hail: :applause:
I'm going to print this out today and stick it on my wall!
I really appreciate the work you did to find this lost... er... not so lost now machine.

After I posted...
I noticed a teeeeeeeeny difference. The little coin window... this one is square. My grandpa's was round!  :wave:

Offline Jackpot

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 09:58:46 AM »
WOW, good eye, I never noticed that myself and I rebuild these older slots for people so I have an eye for them. I know the castings come in both styles, but we are right on now finding one with that lower casting made in metal and not wood like most of the information in the books. At least you have a clear photo to go with your photo now. And I'll keep an eye out for finding a real example for you.
Jackpot :mail_2: :mail_2:

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2014, 10:11:57 AM »
What's funny was that I still clearly remember peeking into the window on my grandfather's machine.  There was something fascinating about seeing the nickle behind that glass. That memory is very clear to me and this was probably 45 years ago. I wish he was still around...

Offline Jackpot

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2014, 10:25:51 AM »
I hear you there, it might also be a vivid memory because, that glass is really a piece of magnifying glass, so the coin should of showed up really nice and big! That glass was there so anyone walking behind you could see if you were playing slugs or real coins. Later, with the Coin Escalators the coins would go in on the left side and go across the front for 5 pulls so they could really tell if you were playing slugs or not, pace and watling had round escalators so you could see them for a few plays as they went around the coin escalator.
Jackpot :odie:

Offline ramegoom

• Reputation Power: 22
  • ramegoom New User barely matters.ramegoom New User barely matters.
  • NLG
    • Caspers Electronics, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2014, 12:46:05 PM »
See post number 5 above. I posted my Jennings/Pace twin jackpot revamp conversion. Mine had the upper Jennings half, with the round window, and flat reel glass. I think that's the missing part of the puzzle.

Jennings machines from the same era had a curved glass and square window, but otherwise, pretty much the same.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 03:59:19 PM »
I hear you there, it might also be a vivid memory because, that glass is really a piece of magnifying glass, so the coin should of showed up really nice and big! That glass was there so anyone walking behind you could see if you were playing slugs or real coins. Later, with the Coin Escalators the coins would go in on the left side and go across the front for 5 pulls so they could really tell if you were playing slugs or not, pace and watling had round escalators so you could see them for a few plays as they went around the coin escalator.
Jackpot :odie:

YES YES! I remember THAT was why I was intrigued by it.  :propeller:

And thanks for the info... gameroom...er... ramegoom!

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2015, 08:50:15 AM »
Ok it's been over a year. Thanks to jackpot or ramegoom (one of you researched this and I apologize for not remembering right now, I have all that info at home), for finding one of these slots on eBay.
I'd been following it going up and down in price, but thankfully, not selling!
In 15 minutes I'll be on my way to LOOK at it and hopefully be able to buy it! I contacted the shop and the quoted price was lower than eBay, probably due to the fees. If they will go just a little lower, I can afford it.
This will be THE most important and special slot I will ever have I hope, since it's exactly like my grandpa's slot that I played with so so long ago.
Wish me luck.
I hope someone reads this!  :applause:

Offline Jackpot

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 09:41:50 AM »
 :dancing_2: :mail_2: :dancing_2:
Ok it's been over a year. Thanks to jackpot or ramegoom (one of you researched this and I apologize for not remembering right now, I have all that info at home), for finding one of these slots on eBay.
I'd been following it going up and down in price, but thankfully, not selling!
In 15 minutes I'll be on my way to LOOK at it and hopefully be able to buy it! I contacted the shop and the quoted price was lower than eBay, probably due to the fees. If they will go just a little lower, I can afford it.
This will be THE most important and special slot I will ever have I hope, since it's exactly like my grandpa's slot that I played with so so long ago.
Wish me luck.
I hope someone reads this!  :applause:
Cash talks, so bring cash and then plop it down and say this is all I have and all I can do and see what happens, you could always pull out a little mad money if you really had to after that. GOOD LUCK, and I would bet money that you will be bringing it home tonight. It was I that sent you all the info on this jem.
Jackpot :dancing_2: :applause:

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal