New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Pay reset button on hopper (889) needs to be pressed from time to time  (Read 1081 times)

Offline DavidBelg

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • DavidBelg New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Here's a nice story.
An older friend of mine has an 889-zzy.   He's 67 and in the hobby for years, I'm 40 and not so long in the hobby as he is.  :Tongue_Out:

He bought the machine 15 years ago after the previous owner had died.   The machine has fruit rolls but a jackpots only reel glass.
On winning positions, the machine paid but kept paying.... So confused by all this... the machine stood there.... as the 'masterpiece' in a 20 machine collection but non functional and not knowing what was the problem, wrong reels, wrong glass, wrong everything?

I recently told him, you really should look at that nice machine and figure out what's the problem.  So I spend a few hours on it and of course (quite easy actually), the hopper was not stepping up.  After some adjustments it did and paid out correctly on all fruit combinations that you can imagine!     So conclusion, he has the wrong reel glass and a working machine after 15 years!

Only major problem now that is left is this:
From time to time, the machine stops paying (even sometimes mid in a 2 cherry pay).    It pays a part of the coins and the machine stops, but all lights remain lit so no safetime timer isssue I think.   Unplugging and reinstalling the hopper or pushing the "Pay reset' button on the hopper fixes this and it pays the rest of the coins.  See picture for that button.   When the machine is in this state, it does not accept new coins and the reel glass (insert coins, coin accepted, winner paid are all out).

What could cause this?  I am not familiar with the "pay reset" button or logic.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 02:32:25 PM by wolftalk »

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 167
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
Re: Pay reset button on hopper (889) needs to be pressed from time to time
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 05:50:17 PM »
you win some kind of prize ... my listing ends at 889-ZZX :-)

if the ZZY was made much later, you may have the hopper cutoff relay stuff in there.  See the circuit on page 23 of the 5000 manual (https://bingo.cdyn.com/slots/bally_manuals/)

it's similar to the safety circuit, but responds very fast.  It is designed to prevent people from sticking a wire up the coin outlet chute and holding up the coin out roller arm so the payout counter doesn't step.   

if the hopper switches aren't closing every 300 milliseconds (time it takes for a couple of coins to eject), the capacitor discharges and the hopper cutoff relay loses power, causing the payout relay to unpower.

the hopper cutoff circuit was mostly used on high denomination or large hopper capacity games.

Offline DavidBelg

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 05:08:50 PM »
Thank you so much!  This will help me a lot in solving this issue.   I don't have the machine with me now but will pass the info to the owner or take this info with me next time when I am there.

Offline DavidBelg

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 03:35:08 PM »
I've visited my friend today and checked the hopper.
I've verified the switche on top of the assy (big black microswitch), I've verified the two leaf switches on the stepper.  I've verified the roller arm switch on the plastic wheel.
All test ok.

I've noticed that the small roller switch is wired that way that's open when pressed and closed when it's not pressed by the wheel.  Shouldn't this be the other way around.

Problem however still remains, COuld it be that theh capacitor got out of spec?

See pictures attached of the hopper.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 06:20:58 PM »
the microswitch on the payout counter in your second pic is in the safety delay circuit.  A problem with that one would cause game shutdown.

the microswitch in your first pic is the hopper pulse switch in the hopper cutoff relay circuit.  It is normally closed and briefly opens when a coin goes under the roller.

my description wasn't very good.

the purpose of the hopper cutoff relay circuit is to detect if someone is holding the roller up with a wire thru the coin exit hole to the coin tray.    If they are, the microswitch stays open, the capacitor discharges and the hopper cutoff relay loses power.  That turns off the payout relay, which turns off the hopper motor.

---------
option 1
---------

you could disable the circuit ... for home use, it's not needed.  To disable the circuit your would:

1] remove the hopper cutoff relay
2] jumper the terminals on the socket that is in the circuit to power the payout relay.

below is how the thing worked on the 1088.  Doesn't look like some of your wire colors are the same.   You'd want to jumper the switch that is highlighted in yellow closed (directly connect one side of the payout relay to wire 70).   You could also do some rewiring to the relay sockets to connect wire 70 directly to the payout relay coil.

if it's not clear, need better pics of the wiring on the back of the payout relay and hopper cutoff relay.  The coils inside the relays are on terminals 13 and 14 of the relay case. 

---------
option 2
---------

if you want the circuit to work, then yes, a problem with the relay, capacitor, diode or resistor will cause a problem. 

test 1: look at the hopper cutoff relay

turn on game and push the pay reset button.  The hopper cutoff relay should power and stay powered until the power is turned off.

tap on the hopper cutoff relay and make sure it stays powered.  If tapping causes it to unpower, could be a poor socket connection or dirty switch inside.

test 2: jumper the hopper pulse microswitch always closed

if the problem goes away, the microswitch is flaky

test 3: swap the two relays next to the reset button

if the problem changes, it's probably the relay.  You may be able to open it to clean switches or move wiring to unused switches (if any).

if none of that makes a difference, it's probably faster to just replace the diode and capacitor.  Inspect the resistor to make sure it's not burnt and the wiring/leads look ok.  You can also measure it to make sure it's not way off 47 ohms +/- 10%

Offline DavidBelg

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 11:33:59 AM »
Aha!  Now I understand better.  The switch was connected differently and in normally open, so the capacitor got only power when a coin was under the pawl.
I'll ask him to relocate the lugs at the switch first and test again!

Thank you again for the help and time to write this up so detailed.  Otherwise it would be a long way search...

I swapped both relais already yesterday but that didn't change anything.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 01:40:15 PM »
Aha!  Now I understand better.  The switch was connected differently and in normally open, so the capacitor got only power when a coin was under the pawl.

that would do it :-)

Offline DavidBelg

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 02:03:04 PM »
And this solved the issue!

Wolftalk you rock!  Thank you again (in his name)  :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal