New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Help! LCD touch issue..grounding? or bad LCD?  (Read 2984 times)

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
Help! LCD touch issue..grounding? or bad LCD?
« on: February 15, 2014, 04:18:26 PM »
Thanks everyone in advance for the response.  GREAT! Forum.

I have an IGT I+ game call Frequent Flyer w/ LCD touch screen having issue.
Every time I need to touch something on the screen, it won't response unless
I put one hand anywhere on the metal cabinet housing.  After that it will work
for little bit .  But if I walk away for a minute and come back it will not response
again.
Is the LCD dying on me? or I have a grounding issue with the cabinet?
My other game next to it working just fine! using the same outlet.

Thanks

sonoflao

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 06:34:19 PM »

Greetings.

Check out this thread from a while back.  Someone had the same issue as you where the touchscreen only worked if they were touching the metal part of the cabinet with their hand.  Turned out to be a broken ground pin on their plug, so yes, I would suspect a grounding problem.  Try a different cord or a different outlet if you can (or swap plugs in the outlet to see if the problem follows the plug or not).

knagl

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 08:23:27 PM »

try replacing the flouro ballasts in the machine...sounds crazy i know but i've seen it happen!

kforeman

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 10:00:27 PM »

On somewhat of a similar issue, I've seen a going-bad fluorescent tube mess up a progressive sign.
I think when the fluorescent start showing like a "black-hole" near the ends of the tube, it throws
out wicked electrical waves that cause havoc with other nearby electronics.

I couldn't understand why one of my internal progressive signs were flickering like nuts.
I changed out the topbox fluorescent tube because it looked like it was going to blow soon anyways
as a preventive measure and it solved my flickering progressive sign!

stayouttadabunker

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 05:38:33 AM »

thanks, everyone for the replies.

I have tried, running new power cables, new outlets, running new ground directly to chassis.  Game was
running great! for many months.
I will try changing out or remove or replace the fluorescent tube or flouro ballasts to see what happen.

Will post the result later today.

sonoflao

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 07:49:37 AM »

Well, after changing out fluorescent tubes and replaced with new flouro ballasts, problem did NOT!
go away. Scratch Head
In the mean time I will have to keep both feet on the ground and one hand on the chassis while
touching the screen bawling  I'm just hopping it not the LCD itself, thats a very expensive replacement.

sonoflao
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 08:20:21 PM »

it really shouldn't be your LCD giving you touchscreen problems, they are two separate devices.  Randy Fromm said it well at a Techfest i went to in 2004, he said "the monitor is a dumb device, all it does is display what the machine tells it to."

if you have another touchscreen controller in another game or on a shelf i would swap it out and see if the problem goes away.  depending on which style controller you have they can usually be repaired.  if it's an old version it will have 11 electrolytic caps on the board that when these are changed out will fix the issue about 80% of the time.  Clap  if it's a newer style controller it will be mostly surface mount components but if you find the U10 eprom, it's through hole and can be replaced pretty easily; it will usually fix 90-95% of all issues  yes  the part number is ILQ2.

if it's a problem with the touchscreen itself then you can change that out too.  it's a bit of a pain but if you're careful you can peel the tape off and pull it away from the LCD panel.  the double-sided tape that is used between the edges of the touch screen and the edges of the LCD panel can be a pain in the ass but using a heat gun or the wife's hair dryer will help loosen up the adhesive and allow you to pull it away from the panel.  depending on the LCD brand and model you can get most touchscreens from either Happ or AG&E for a reasonable price, under $200 i would think.  Silly Me!

as knagl suggested earlier i would be checking for good chassis ground throughout the machine as well.  and remember that the touchscreen is a netplex device so other netplex devices can screw it up too without you even knowing.  hissy fit the bill acceptor and printer are possible causes of the issue since they are the other netplex devices in the GameKing cabinet.  check their harnessing and maybe swap them out if possible and see if the issue goes away! propeller

let us know if you figure anything else out!!

kforeman

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 08:47:54 PM »

Just for giggles, attach a electrical wire to one of your machines ( Make sure it's got a good connection ) now touch the other end to your other machine, watch real close and see if you get a small electrical arc. If no arc hold the wire to the machine and see if the touch screen works as it should.  If you have one, this same test can be done with a multi meter.
Buzz
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 04:25:10 AM »

@BUZZ
yes I did try that also.  My other hand can be on
the other machine's chassis and touch the screen that is
having problem and it work. 

Yea, I think I will try swap out the LCD controller
from the other game to see what happen.
I will do that and will also post photo.
sonoflao

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 06:26:13 AM »

Thanks, everyone for all the inputs.

After changing out the new controller board, the touch screen starting working now  Clap
My controller does has U10 and U9 eprom, BAD! controller...lesson learned.

sonoflao

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal