New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally 873 NO payout  (Read 10909 times)

Offline DirtinLa

• My Pet Peeve
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • DirtinLa New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Bally 873 NO payout
« on: October 15, 2016, 06:50:28 PM »
Where do I begin. Got my 25-925 coil intoday and installed it the coin stepper now works

Tested the hopper 110v to the motor and it spins

went through all the switches and steppers and all SEEM fine

Where do I start my trouble shooting and how?

Thanx in advance

-=Fred=-
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 09:06:06 PM by DirtinLa »
MY PET PEEVE: Those who ask for and receive help on the forums and then never bother to post the ultimate outcome/fix

Offline Jon

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
    • Just for fun
Re: Bally 873 NO payout
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 07:31:35 AM »
Do you have a copy of the manual

Offline DirtinLa

• My Pet Peeve
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 07:38:08 AM »
yes I do?
MY PET PEEVE: Those who ask for and receive help on the forums and then never bother to post the ultimate outcome/fix

Offline Jon

• Sr NLG Member
  • Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
    • Just for fun
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 07:55:32 AM »
The first thing you need to do the same with any machine is familiarize your self with the switches and what they're called and where they're located that will be on page 12 and 13 and then we go to page 21 the winter circuit for a 3 & 5 line machine it will tell you where everything goes and comes from it is not exact to a 955 but it is really close I am curious if the payout relay is putting power through it when you tested the motor did you test it through the payout relay or did you put power directly to the motor

Offline DirtinLa

• My Pet Peeve
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 08:34:47 AM »
Hi Jon,

I have em pinball experience so I know switches inside and out.

Perhaps I don't have specific manual but one that covers the 873 5 line 25cents machine I have

http://rwatts.cdyn.com/download/bally_em_manual/bally%20em%20manual.pdf

The hopper I did only one test which was to power it with 110V.  I took the whole mechanical parts of the hopper

and cleaned and rebuilt cause it wasn't working at all. I then went thru all the switches and stepper before reinstallation

and all looked good. Hopper runs great under one 110 and I was able to jump 50 volts to the relay and it worked then too.

I did find a CLUE. The winner paid light remains lit which leads me to believe the hopper is NOT resetting. I have manually

I believe reset it  http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=18776.0

But not quite following the 4 ways to reset?

This sounds like a GREAT place to start. Let me go do some troubleshooting

Thank you

Fred

Offline Jon

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
    • Just for fun
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 08:43:03 AM »
http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=10610.0

Try this on the reset circuit I asked told me know to write this seven or eight months ago he did a wonderful job being that it is not in the manual

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 11:37:00 AM »
Try setting up a payout, say 10 coins. Tracy the circuit across the reel wiper boards. Starting on the 3rd reel board grey 90 wire to the 1st reel wiper board where it exits to the beau plug through the machine to the 10 coin solder joint on the payout step up unit. Should get continuity all the way. This should help eliminate this portion of the payoff circuit.

The 90 wire is activated through a series of switches and the discribed above, if all condition are met the hopper should run.

This circuit is typical for the 742 and 809, but your machine could be slightly different.

Offline OldReno

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 75
  • OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 09:54:33 PM »
Does the machine play?  Will it take coins?  Do you get handle pull? Does coin accept lite come on?
Pay problems you should worry about after you get game play.
Sounds like you know what you're doing.
Winner paid lite should go out after hopper reset solenoid fires and latches out its links.
Linkage latching physically pushes open winner paid lite switch you will find...its behind payboard by 100 tooth gear.
Lite will not go out until physically pushed open. What is confusing is that payboard can reset & win paid lite can still be on. Throws a lot of folks.
The real picture of the Face on Mars.

Offline OldReno

• Sr NLG Member
  • OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 10:03:15 PM »
Until you find out why your B25-925a burned, you should not leave machine on unattended for too long. ( i know the coil # by heart, having replaced enough of them)
They can take up to 10-20 minutes before they start smoking...
Just a caution, hate to see you have to replace it twice.
Generally they burn if the EOS switch stays closed, that upright switch opened when odds step up solenoid fires.
As i recall the EOS can get bent closed when putting top unit back in if you're not paying attention and bang it on case.

Offline DirtinLa

• My Pet Peeve
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 10:33:18 PM »
Thanx everyone. I worked on the machine on and off all weekend.

I wish I knew the terminology, anyway now when you put a coin in it doesn't release the handle and it's not stepping.

I hear the 1 coin relay clicking but it not firing the release coil at the handle. I have cleaned and gone thru everything again[size=78%].[/size]

I'll let y'all know what find out. all solenoid are working

Reno the machine was dead when I got it and I don;t leave it plugged in

thanx

Fred

Offline Denmark

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Denmark New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 05:25:18 AM »
Did you check the switches behind the air cylinder - if they dont close when handle is i rest position,it wont release handle relay,check for broken contacts there..
The air cylinder tents to get mega gummi ,so that might be the case.

Offline DirtinLa

• My Pet Peeve
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 06:50:34 AM »

Reno, I missed your post:"Generally they burn if the EOS switch stays closed, that upright switch opened when odds step up solenoid fires. As i recall the EOS can get bent closed when putting top unit back in if you're not paying attention and bang it on case."

I know I have no bent or closed switches but (EOS) I presume end of stroke is the switches on the multicoin stepper?

Does the machine play?   YES  Will it take coins? YES   Do you get handle pull? NO

Does coin accept lite come on? NO Has in the recent past but not right now

Sounds like you know what you're doing.  NOT really, just very mechanically inclined with limited pinball EM experience.

Winner paid lite should go out after hopper reset solenoid fires and latches out its links.

Reno: Is this what you were speaking of that fools PPL? Would the winner paid and coin accepted both come on?

Here is what mine was doing; The winner paid lite stays on.  at one point the coin accepted lite would come on and the winner paid lite

would go out.

"Lite will not go out until physically pushed open. What is confusing is that payboard can reset & win paid lite can still be on. Throws a lot of folks." 
I was reading about this that it can partially reset the machine but not do a total reset. Don't quite understand  why.

Denmark:  Yes I did check and adjust those switches. I also went through and tested every single solenoid.

The good news is the hopper is at least beginning to turn. When I hit the coin in microswitch

sometime the hoppers pays me two or three coins.

I believe the machine to be possesed and it feels if it don't give me something I am going to give up on it LOL

It will not beat me!

-=Fred=-

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 10:47:22 AM »
Have you tried operating the machine by pulling the handle lock lever forward which allows the handle to be pulled.
Sometimes this will reset the machine or help locate a problem.
Photos show the release lever.

Offline OldReno

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 12:40:27 PM »
Fred, first thing to start a game is to push down on the coin in switch. Downstroke of that should trip your coin relay assembly. It is located on left rear side of reel mech. That turns on the coin accept lite & conditions machine to release handle on upstroke. Tripping the coin relay by coin switch or by hand closes coin accept lite switch & closes NO sw in handle circuit. If coin relay doesnt trip you get no game play.
Circuit to coin relay goes through a NC switch on the handle stack, if its open coin relay wont fire.
That handle sw is a two way, when handle drops, next coin in pulses odds step up since you already tripped the coin relay.
Take it from there see what you can find.

Offline DirtinLa

• My Pet Peeve
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 09:51:02 AM »
Thanx guys, I got some sleep last night and didn't do anything on the machine except to plug it in and

hope it magically worked LOL  which it didn't...

The machine when I first got it was stone cold dead. NO ELECTRICITY.  but you could pull the handle and

the reels spun and stopped. Wouldn't accept a coin, went straight through. Simple fix 1 fuse and had

lights. Other fuse(50V) and had electricity. after some research I found the burnt up B25-925

and ordered one... in the mean time

while waiting I went thru all the reel mechs and went thru the multicoin relay switches and got the hopper

functional.

I also found a screw jammed into handle release lever, which explained the free pulls and removed

it. The coin mech now worked.

the  Machine would then say coin accepted, winner light would go out sometime, and would take a coin

but no payout.

the b25 coil came in and I installed it and the machine would step thru all the coins (5) but if you wanted

to put in 10 it wouldn't stop you like it should and return them to the tray. well still no pay out.

So I begin at the reel mech and double and tripple check all the switches and coils... all good and clean

and functioning. Do the same to the hopper. Do the same to the handle switches and the multicoin. jumped

all coils and they all work. everything steps fine as well but won't step when you put in a coin and won't reset the handle

Put it back together still no payout and now it will accept a coin but won't say coin accepted and will not step.

winner paid lite stays on and SOMETIME when I hit the coin accepted switch wire the hopper will spit

coins at me  LOL

I flip the little coin accepted switch wire and you hear the coil fire up in the top unit. I ass-u-me that

is the coil marked first coin, but it's not going any further then that coil.

Question on the flow of electricity, coin goes in and flips that little switch wire. that switch goes where

first? to the "first coin relay" or does it goto the coin relay stack on the reels?

reason for my question is I'm quite certain all switches are good BUT I need to know where to search first?

Sorry I am so long winded.

-=Fred=-

Offline OldReno

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2016, 10:52:20 AM »

1st coin in sequence
Here's what happens when you push down on the coin switch...(note wire colors may be different for your machine).
Signal travels from 30 wire to 23 wire. 23 goes from door to a handle release sw NC to a 21 wire. It leaves handle stack and goes to reel mech to a coin relay sw 58 wire NC. This 58 wire is connected to coin relay coil which immedately fires & trips the coin relay -- moving all of its switches.
If your coin relay trips, then coin accept lite turns on immediately. This is how a mechanic knows coin relay tripped without even opening the door.
If you're not sure if it tripped, then pull out your reel mech and look at it.
If it does not trip, then put your meter on ohms & test all of the above switches.
Also ohm out your coin in switch, as often people will wire them backwards   It should read 30 wire to 74 wire NC and 30 wire to 23 wire NO.
And when you push down on coin sw the readings reverse.

The reason for accepting more than 5 coins is you may be missing the coin lockout coil armature which is hidden behind the coin acceptor. If the lockout coil is on it pulls the armature away from the hole in the coin acceptor which keeps it from blocking (locking out) the coins.
If lockout is on it accepts coins. If lockout is off it rejects coins back into the tray. If lockout armature (paddle) is missing, then no coins are rejected, and you can insert as many coins as you want. 
Hope that helps. We'll get through this bit by bit.

Offline DirtinLa

• My Pet Peeve
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 12:06:11 PM »
Awesome info. I'll let you know what I come up with tonight

Offline DirtinLa

• My Pet Peeve
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 05:03:27 PM »
I ohmed the wire from the coin switch to the handle switch  your colors were correct 30 to 23  then 23 to 21 then I traced the 21 to the plug it ohmed from the 21

follow me here please. Looking into the cabinet the 21 ohmed to the left plug on the big round on the right and the bottom 3rd one from the right.  on the left plug it ohmed to the same two connectors but only partially

then I traced the coin coil that trips the reel switches and it went to a completely different plug

now this was at one point working  I saw it working and I haven't disconnected or redid any wires so something isn't right

bunches of pics attached

Offline Jon

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
    • Just for fun
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 05:09:48 PM »
Can you get a better picture of these wires going to the switch please

Offline DirtinLa

• My Pet Peeve
  • NLG
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 05:44:32 PM »
pics you requested

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal