New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Project machine. New here.  (Read 6010 times)

Offline Talarspeed

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Talarspeed New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: Project machine. New here.
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2018, 07:49:03 AM »
      Update on this project:

I was able to remove the chassis without any problems. The metal frame seems to have been spared from rust that was covered by the chassis. This is also apparent where the hopper sat.

https://imgur.com/k7XsFi8

Although it worked (sort of), I’m not the happiest with the condition of the chassis, especially the power. The motherboard doesn’t look the best but it could be cleaned. I’m also having a sound issue which I will post separately. (I believe that someone cranked the volume wheel on the MPU board past its limitation).  My plan is to scrub the internal frame where the rust lies, remove it and treat the area.

I’m going to take the advice of some folks here and post a WTB for the chassis and/or components. Basically I’m going to sink more money in this project than it is worth. But I’m having a blast so far . . . and I’m learning a lot.  Thank you to everyone who has helped so far!

Other pictures:

https://imgur.com/zpcNmbz

https://imgur.com/EEDxGde

https://imgur.com/A3CGojx

https://imgur.com/Y14oLz9

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2018, 07:52:50 PM »
I am reposting your photos below just to make it a little easier for everyone to see them. But to do that I needed to reduce their filesize, so if anyone wants to see more detail just click on the link in the OP's post above:

If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Talarspeed

• NLG
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2018, 06:55:54 AM »
Below is a picture of the result of 1 treatment of scraping and naval jelly to the inside of the frame. I'm going to go one more round and then spray it with a sealant.

Also I did a test patch on the chrome frame using an old technique of aluminum foil and water.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2018, 07:45:16 AM »
That is definitely an improvement.  :cool_thumb_up:

Did you get your WTB request posted to find another lower cabinet (like the one listed at WWG)?
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Talarspeed

• NLG
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2018, 07:57:44 AM »

Did you get your WTB request posted to find another lower cabinet (like the one listed at WWG)?

Haven't posted it yet because I'm still deciding on some things . . .  I was going to pull and clean the motherboard and see what it looks like underneath.
The lack of sound seems like a disconnected speaker wire, but I still believe there might be an issue with the volume pot at the MPU board. Once I reassemble this, I'm going to check for sound. I have the feeling I will be replacing the MPU board.
There is also the ugly hopper. It did work, but I got a couple of 3200 errors.  My plan here is to disassemble, clean, scrub/scrape and put back together.

My emphasis has shifted to making it cosmetically look better since I believe I can get it working well.

I'm also going to build a stand based on a previous one that I finished last week. (Ron (RB) helped me with getting an S2000 while I rebuild this project).

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2018, 08:19:56 AM »
That's probably a good idea to look over all the main parts before ordering. If you were to need additional parts then maybe you could get them all from one seller. Jim at Midwest Slots often has chassis parts like this and he does a lot of work with S+ machines. His sponsor banner is on the NLG home page, you can contact him to see if he has what you need:

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/

And there are probably other folks here that may have parts you need.

On the mpu board, if it otherwise works well and you can solder you can replace that broken sound pot.

On the hopper, error 3200 refers to a coin jam, so it may have a bent "knife" or other coin handing part. Visual inspection will usually show the problem. You can post photos of the hopper for us to see and make suggestions when you get around to the hopper.

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2018, 09:45:02 AM »
You might want to clean and service the hopper. The coin optics could be dirty giving you your 3200 error.

As for the surface rust, don’t be afraid to use a flat blade scraper on it or some 80 grit sand paper. I usually just scrap anything loose off. I have a silver/ aluminum color paint that looks good inside these cabinets. See the inside of a S+ Haywire I’m working on. It had rust across the front coin tray lip into the cabinet bottom. I cleaned it with CLR, then scrapped the loose rust and reapplied the CLR. Rinsed with water. Once dry I sanded the areas where the rust was. I then sprayed with the aluminum color spray paint.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2018, 09:56:39 AM »
That does look good and would save him the cost of replacing the lower cabinet insert. He could still buy replacement wiring harnesses if needed and change them out.

Offline Amechanic

• Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2018, 10:29:59 AM »
These are the paints I use. The white works great for making the plastics look new again, and the other is what I use on the cabinets and other inside parts look like new. This could be used even on the rusty hopper.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2018, 10:40:29 AM »
......The lack of sound seems like a disconnected speaker wire, but I still believe there might be an issue with the volume pot at the MPU board. Once I reassemble this, I'm going to check for sound. I have the feeling I will be replacing the MPU board.

Here is what a 10mhz mpu board looks like, this is an mpu that belongs to another NLG member. You can see the round blue volume pot at the top edge of the photo. It will have 3 solder legs attaching it to the board. Your mpu board may look slightly different, they made a few different versions of the 10mhz board, but all are equivalent.

There are folks here that sell tested & working mpu boards if you decide you need to get another one.

Offline Talarspeed

• NLG
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2018, 10:53:40 AM »
You might want to clean and service the hopper. The coin optics could be dirty giving you your 3200 error.

As for the surface rust, don’t be afraid to use a flat blade scraper on it or some 80 grit sand paper. I usually just scrap anything loose off. I have a silver/ aluminum color paint that looks good inside these cabinets. See the inside of a S+ Haywire I’m working on. It had rust across the front coin tray lip into the cabinet bottom. I cleaned it with CLR, then scrapped the loose rust and reapplied the CLR. Rinsed with water. Once dry I sanded the areas where the rust was. I then sprayed with the aluminum color spray paint.

Thank you for the paint suggestions!  That looks really nice and kind of what I'm aiming for. I have used a wire brush, sandpaper and different scouring pads to remove the surface rust; all followed by naval jelly. The plan is to paint/coat the interior- primarily the bottom of the frame. I'm going to scrub down the interior walls to see if those stains come off; starting with Simply Green.

Offline Talarspeed

• NLG
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2018, 01:52:02 PM »
      Giving an update on the project so far . . .

I pulled the all of the components off the chassis in order to see the power supply and mother board.  The wiring was sketchy . . . maybe it was just cosmetically ugly. I was on the fence with some issues.  I knew that I was going to replace the MPU board because the volume pot didn’t turn easily and I was having a sound issue.  I really didn’t like the looks of the power supply and some of the wiring (even though I had run the machine).

I truly appreciate the advice of the experts on this board. Several of you contacted me via PM with suggestions. One frequent suggestion was to stay away from World Wide Gaming. There is nothing like experience of those who know when you’re new to learning something. But I went with them for the chassis replacement, and here is the reason why:  I knew I was replacing the MPU board and was going to be down for some cost with the item and shipping.  The possibility of running into other issues seemed high with the current board(s) and power supply.  This is an early S+ machine and I haven’t seen this exact setup that often. WWG had the exact replacement of board(s), power, chassis and full wiring harness.

Regardless, the replacement came in and I installed without a hitch . . . or so it seems. I’m still having a sound issue which is on a separate thread.

I’m also seeing that it is not paying out correctly which seems to be tied to the 3rd reel.  This is a Triple Diamond with an ABC reel combo. All 3 reels are different as should be, so I am questioning the installation of the strip(s).  I started to peel the strip on the 3rd reel to look for an IGT number, but it is very brittle and I could tell that I would damage it if I continued to peel it.  I backed off for now on that aspect. I am considering posting a WTB ad for replacement of ABC version, or an AAB with new chip combo.

This machine doesn’t take bills. No validator installed. It is currently $0.25 denomination. I am considering converting it to a nickel machine.  Would the current quarter hopper work? I don’t know much about coin comparators- would the current one work or are they denomination specific? I will be taking the current hopper apart and cleaning it.

Thank you again for all of your support!

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2018, 02:09:35 PM »
The parts you ordered from WWG will most likely be good and work fine, I think the only issue people have with them is the higher cost they seem to have on everything.

Do you mean the machine payout from the hopper is wrong amount, or that the amount won (displayed on the Win Meter) does not match what the strips and award glass say?

There are some built-in tests on your machine, accessed with the white TEST button. One of the tests will step the reels & strips thru each possible setting, from 1 to whatever. You could try running it and check it against the payout glass. On a used machine sometimes the strips or glass or SS chip don't exactly match, someone may have installed the wrong one. There are some variations in many of the games that IGT made, such as strips that are slightly different. So it might be good to check them.

The strip part number is written on one end of the strip, topside but underneath where the two ends of the strip overlap. It is sometimes a problem trying to remove the strip ends and not cause damage. Instead of doing that you can ask someone to post a photo of the correct 3 strips for your game and compare their photo to your strips to see if they are the same.

The document for your mpu board SP709 chip tells you how to do the strip test. And the IGT diagnostic cards (link below) have the strip test (see pg 2) you can run.

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=18866.msg99570#msg99570

I think you said in another thread that you have SP709 and SS4780, and this is what your machine glass looks like:

http://www.newlifegames.net/igtbible/IGT%202CM/Game%20Library%20-%20S-Plus%20-%20Triple%20Diamond%20(2%20Coin%20Multiplier).htm

So, unless you want to change the award (upper) glass you will need to stay with either "ABC" strips or "AAA" strips, with the appropriate SS chip, as shown in the chart at link above for your current setup. "AAB" isn't listed for that award glass you have.

You can convert the machine to nickels, will need to replace some parts on the hopper, along with the denom sticker on the center of the reel glass, it just tapes on. The coin comparitor should be ok, just remove the quarter and install a nickel. The chrome quarter coin entry head will let a nickel thru, you may not need to change it.

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.   :wave:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 02:42:23 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2018, 02:46:05 PM »
On the payout problem, any chance someone got the reels & strip installed in wrong order from left to right? The reel assemblies just pull out, may have gotten reinstalled in the wrong order.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 03:35:32 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2018, 03:53:39 PM »
If your third reels off, it’s possible the strip has turned on the reel basket. The hopper to change it to a nickel from a quarter, your going to need a nickel hopper coin wheel and shelf wheel. Then you are going to need a nickel coin guide for the coin in optics and a nickel coin head.
And remember...

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2018, 08:53:00 PM »
If you can post the "SS" (REEL) chip number in your machine, I can send you the PAR sheet for it which lists the reel strips on it, specifically what order the symbols on the strips should be in, and what order the reel strips belong in.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2018, 08:58:23 PM »
 :I_agree_1: :agreepost:
And remember...

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2018, 09:32:06 PM »
If you can post the "SS" (REEL) chip number in your machine, I can send you the PAR sheet for it which lists the reel strips on it, specifically what order the symbols on the strips should be in, and what order the reel strips belong in.

Good idea! In a different discussion thread he said it was SS4780:

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=20845.msg110194#msg110194

Offline Talarspeed

• NLG
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2018, 01:49:23 AM »

The chips are SP709 and SS4780.  RB is sending me new strips (and a different chip) for this machine. They're very brittle and the silver spangled aspect of the reels are peeling in certain spots.

Thank you!

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2018, 09:21:56 AM »
I can't find a PAR for SS4780 (anyone else have one?).  This is the reel strip listing for the SS7752 chip, which is similar to yours and may use the same strips.

This reads from left reel to right reel.  Symbols are:

~~ - blank
1B, 2B, 3B - single, double, and triple bar
7 - Red 7
TD - Triple Diamond

Line #   1 ~~ ~~ ~~     
Line #   2 1B 2B 1B     
Line #   3 ~~ ~~ ~~     
Line #   4 TD TD TD     
Line #   5 ~~ ~~ ~~     
Line #   6 2B 3B 2B     
Line #   7 ~~ ~~ ~~     
Line #   8  7 2B  7     
Line #   9 ~~ ~~ ~~     
Line #  10 1B 3B 1B     
Line #  11 ~~ ~~ ~~     
Line #  12 3B  7 3B     
Line #  13 ~~ ~~ ~~     
Line #  14 2B 1B 1B     
Line #  15 ~~ ~~ ~~     
Line #  16 TD TD 2B     
Line #  17 ~~ ~~ ~~     
Line #  18 1B 2B 1B     
Line #  19 ~~ ~~ ~~     
Line #  20  7 1B  7     
Line #  21 ~~ ~~ ~~     
Line #  22 3B 3B 3B   
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal