New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: How to get backlight reel lights working?  (Read 5399 times)

Offline jonbbrew

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 34
  • jonbbrew Is working their way up.jonbbrew Is working their way up.jonbbrew Is working their way up.
  • NLG
Re: How to get backlight reel lights working?
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2023, 02:02:23 PM »
Only the ring of lights on the 4th bonus reel has LED bulbs.
You need a controller like the one sixcardmark pictured.
Remove the blue jumper plug and plug the harness into the 4th reel.
If you don't have three free connectors behind the reel shelf, you need the harnessing for the driver board too.
You might also need the harness that runs back to the MPU enclosure I/O board if you don't have that.
Plug 'em all into the driver board and you're done.
Thanks for all that information but I’m really having a hard time following it. I thought from my previous post that I do have the correct board for a fourth bonus real game set up. Now it looks like you’re stating that I need the other kind of board like the one on the left of your post. I am confused. I don’t know anything about the wiring schematics for an S2000 so I don’t know what I have or what is missing to make the back lighting work.
How about throwing me some positive KARMA love by clicking on the left!

Online RB

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 351
  • RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2023, 03:05:29 PM »
Jon, your controller board is fine if it is good. Everything appears to be connected properly. Check the other end of the 12 pin harness for connection to the cabinet I/O. I don't like the fact that it is installed sideways (90 degrees CCW) but that shouldn't stop it from working. The jumper in the fourth reel position is also correct. The fifth position is used for the bonus reel. If you have 13/25vdc power at the 6 pin connector and it is plugged into the I/O everything should function assuming the parts are good. Do not forget rule #1.
Quality doesn't cost. It pays.

Offline jonbbrew

• jonbbrew Is working their way up.jonbbrew Is working their way up.jonbbrew Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2023, 11:32:15 AM »
Only the ring of lights on the 4th bonus reel has LED bulbs.
You need a controller like the one sixcardmark pictured.
Remove the blue jumper plug and plug the harness into the 4th reel.
If you don't have three free connectors behind the reel shelf, you need the harnessing for the driver board too.
You might also need the harness that runs back to the MPU enclosure I/O board if you don't have that.
Plug 'em all into the driver board and you're done.

First of all, I appreciate you in advance for your patience with me at some of the terminologies. I’m still trying to learn. So here are a few pictures.

To be clear, this is a three real machine with a fourth bonus wheel. That works perfectly fine with the exception of no back lighting. The reels are backlit. They have incandescent bulbs that have metered working. I just have no idea on the wiring, diagram, equipment, etc. needed to make this work. I also read that it could be a game ship issue but like I said, the game works perfectly fine. Sorry but if there’s any way to post pictures with highlights or arrows that explain the routing or how to test things I would appreciate it. I’m just super basic visual.

Online RB

• Sr NLG Member
  • RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2023, 12:12:33 PM »
I/O connection confirmed by picture. Do you have power to the controller board? Red +13vdc, orange +25vdc. If not, try reseating the power supply. Sometimes they are not secured properly and can lose connection when moving the machine or during shipping.

Offline jonbbrew

• NLG
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2023, 12:56:41 PM »
I/O connection confirmed by picture. Do you have power to the controller board? Red +13vdc, orange +25vdc. If not, try reseating the power supply. Sometimes they are not secured properly and can lose connection when moving the machine or during shipping.

This?

Online RB

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2023, 03:03:38 PM »
Yes the 6 pin connector as already mentioned in reply #22.

Offline jonbbrew

• NLG
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2023, 03:25:59 PM »
Yes the 6 pin connector as already mentioned in reply #22.
there is power to the board as the two leds or whatever they are are lit. Also, when unplugged there is a little red led that comes on. So it appears the board is powered. Now what?

Online RB

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2023, 05:05:32 PM »
Try another cabinet I/O and then the controller board itself. Process of elimination. Remember rule #1. Check your backplane for anything that might be disconnected too. There should be 10 molex connectors intact plus the reel harness and ribbon cable.

Offline jonbbrew

• NLG
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2023, 07:13:02 PM »
Try another cabinet I/O and then the controller board itself. Process of elimination. Remember rule #1. Check your backplane for anything that might be disconnected too. There should be 10 molex connectors intact plus the reel harness and ribbon cable.
It’s the only S2000 I have.

Offline jonbbrew

• NLG
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2023, 12:07:17 PM »
Can anyone help guide me to solve this and get my backlights to work? I can take more pictures etc. just need sone guidance.

Offline jakah440

• Reputation Power: 29
  • jakah440 New User barely matters.jakah440 New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2023, 01:17:43 PM »
I have this exact game set up currently. same backlight controller. everything looks to be correctly connected. I am using led replacement bulbs for the incandescent bulbs on all reels.

Works great. The LED are slightly lit at all times and light up fully when a winning combo hits.

On the backlight controller there are two LEDs one red and one yellow. with the door open and the machine powered up the red LED is on solid and the yellow one flashes like it is communicating with the I/O
Is yours doing that also?

As RB mentioned yours is turned 90 degrees but you should still be able to see them. Mine has a metal cover on it but is not necessary

Offline jonbbrew

• NLG
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2023, 01:53:54 PM »
On the backlight controller there are two LEDs one red and one yellow. with the door open and the machine powered up the red LED is on solid and the yellow one flashes like it is communicating with the I/O

As RB mentioned yours is turned 90 degrees.
So I dug into it a little bit deeper and there’s only one screw holding the board so obviously the previous owner or somebody has gotten into it. On a sidenote, it also has non-backlit reels strips, so I was looking at replacing them, but wanted to make sure the lights worked first before spending a huge amount of money with Sunkist.

So with the one screw it has I spun it around to your orientation. I have another light off to the left like in my picture before I turned it. But I can see there are supposed to be two lights like you have. I only have one Amber one out of the two that’s lit up and it’s flashing.  it appears it’s the left one of the two.

Offline jonbbrew

• NLG
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2023, 02:10:21 PM »
I have this exact game set up currently. same backlight controller. everything looks to be correctly connected. I am using led replacement bulbs for the incandescent bulbs on all reels.

Works great. The LED are slightly lit at all times and light up fully when a winning combo hits.

As RB mentioned yours is turned 90 degrees but you should still be able to see them. Mine has a metal cover on it but is not necessary
What’s also weird but I noticed a while back is when I was moving around some connections. I noticed if I pulled out the six prong Molex, the red light that you’re referring to would show up with the yellow blinking next to it but it really hasn’t changed anything. So can you confirm that all four of the white Molex plugs on the board are connected to a harness? I just have no idea about the wiring schematics since there are black ones that are empty. It’s confusing.

Offline jakah440

• NLG
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2023, 02:42:40 PM »
Yes all of the white molex plugs are filled with connectors. none of the black ones are occupied.

if i power off the machine, never unplug anything on these machine when they are powered up, and unplug the 6 pin molex. when i power up the machine i have no backlights but the machine works fine and the red and yellow LED are on with the yellow one flashing.

So with that i would have to say there is a problem with your 6 pin molex not supplying power for the lights. did you meter it? should have both 12 volt and 25 volts as mentioned above.

Check that 6-pin cable it goes right up to the power supply connector. make sure your power supply is fully seated.  might even remove the screw that holds it in and slide it back and then slide it forward with a little extra push to make sure it's seated.

Offline jonbbrew

• NLG
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2023, 02:51:50 PM »
Yes all of the white molex plugs are filled with connectors. none of the black ones are occupied.

if i power off the machine, never unplug anything on these machine when they are powered up, and unplug the 6 pin molex. when i power up the machine i have no backlights but the machine works fine and the red and yellow LED are on with the yellow one flashing.

So with that i would have to say there is a problem with your 6 pin molex not supplying power for the lights. did you meter it? should have both 12 volt and 25 volts as mentioned above.

Check that 6-pin cable it goes right up to the power supply connector. make sure your power supply is fully seated.  might even remove the screw that holds it in and slide it back and then slide it forward with a little extra push to make sure it's seated.
Will try that and get back shortly. Thanks. I am also wondering if the board is bad since it has been toyed with, there is not plastic protection for the circuitry on the back so not to contact the cabinet, etc.

Also, can you post a pic or video of your reels lit up and/or playing?

Plus what leds did you use for your reel lights?

Offline jonbbrew

• NLG
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2023, 03:06:55 PM »

Yeah so it appears as it’s only getting the 25v but nothing on the red line

Offline jonbbrew

• NLG
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2023, 03:25:02 PM »
here is a picture of the bulb  i got them off eBay some time ago so i don't have a link. but like these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/121043584332?hash=item1c2ec2854c:g:U2IAAOSwqnBjUZoD&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4Jm%2FB8mO3xQZPZ5xULSNpzYMVP%2FBltyCLv76BpxyqawScYYPYsLaEyn4HTfpPDExRWnuZVdOlO2IR819ajkSLJZlhWYjiANaplEBVTushrm%2BjY3XJUDg1AmDAOmexZ1YsbTsKhGDhSIqOTRGAUQVP5jMAFD6fdlhvP%2BZez8vBo%2Fpm8L3sxXl9lYdOvsAK%2Bs80o17Xj0ISTR%2Fw80GCqR1nSvYTA6QBoRlxgHMi1%2BncRQ2ms9q%2BmuQuW6wlNmg%2FVDBxdcG1WEVZ3j2Gyw2r0q8NsOQkZV9ZzymnXnQPu0LeGXd%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_7NgtyaYg

Here is also a video of the machine.
https://youtube.com/shorts/Bwg16e1cjz0?feature=share

Let me know if you need anything further
Thank you I appreciate the help you’re giving. Yeah so where do I go now knowing that it’s not getting one side of that current? It doesn’t appear there’s fuses like an S plus's. So does that mean I just need to find a power supply?

Offline jakah440

• NLG
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2023, 03:26:09 PM »

did you try re-seating the power supply?

Offline jonbbrew

• NLG
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2023, 03:41:17 PM »

did you try re-seating the power supply?
I have it out right now, but I’m going to put it back in just a moment. But there’s no fuses, correct

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal