New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: G23 Touchscreen comm Netplex version error after replacing brainbox  (Read 2156 times)

Offline sccarlso

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • sccarlso Is working their way up.sccarlso Is working their way up.sccarlso Is working their way up.
  • NLG
Seeking advice as I’m not sure where to start.

Fully operational G23 AVP with 620? brainbox. (4gb ram, 2.1Ghz proc but no pcie video, only on board.

I replaced it with a 660 brainbox, no other changes.  First would be to clear it.  Booted with ekey7 & diag.

Diagnostic came up fine, but no touchscreen function.  So I can’t clear it.
So I turned the jackpot reset key to invoke touchscreen calibration, and it returned

No touchscreen devices detected.  Touchscreen Controller version:
Netplex Device:  Device Version Error

After about 5 minutes it popped the red screens for processor ID mismatch.  Ok, logical.  Reset with the jackpot key to clear memory. Then went to initializing system, then the warning to verify all settings before putting into service.   Turned the reset key expecting to be able to setup, but  same thing.  No touchscreen so can’t do anything on the touchscreen.   ???

Anyone have advice on the cause and how to correct it?.  Nothing has changed except the brainbox swap..

Thanks!

Online Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: G23 Touchscreen comm Netplex version error after replacing brainbox
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 08:49:31 PM »
Have you checked the touchscreen usb cable to make sure it's fully plugged in at the bottom of the monitor and on the cabinet controller?  Also make sure you have the usb cable from the brainbox to the cabinet controller connected properly.

Offline sccarlso

• sccarlso Is working their way up.sccarlso Is working their way up.sccarlso Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 08:58:00 PM »
Unfortunately yes.

Only USB cable unplugged was from the old brainbox and plugged it into the same spot on the new one.

Switched to the other USB port on the brainbox just to check but no change. :(

Online Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 09:23:02 PM »
I'd revert back to the original brainbox and make sure it still works with that one.  If so, then it would appear there's something wrong with the 660.

Offline sccarlso

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2023, 09:35:12 PM »
Hmmm.

Only other change was the std bottom TFT touchscreen screen was connected by VGA as the brainbox had VGA and DVI, upper was connected by DVI.  As the 660 has the dual DVI, I used a new DVI 24+5 cable from the touchscreen to the video card.  Don’t see how that would affect anything as the display is fine.  But worth mentioning.

Pretty sure it’ll work again.  But a drag connecting the old one back without any diags that I can get while this one is installed.

Thanks Tilt!

Online Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2023, 09:53:12 PM »
VGA/DVI is just the video signal.  The touchscreen uses the USB interface, so your new DVI cable wouldn't affect it in any way.  My thought was that maybe you pulled one of the USB connectors off or loose during the brainbox swap, but you checked that and it was all good.  It might be possible to use a USB mouse connected to brainbox in lieu of the touchscreen, I've never tried that.  If you have one laying around give it a shot, you don't have anything to lose.

Offline sccarlso

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2023, 11:03:55 PM »
You know, I’m a network engineer of 20 years.  I don’t generally make such stupid mistakes.
But I do know things don’t work when they’re not connected….   lol.  Senior moments are starting and I’m only 53! 

The brainbox on a 620 has the USB power supply on the outside. 
On a 660 it’s on the inside.  Cleaner look, but of course, also a different harness.

When I swapped, the main PSU power cable was separate from the USB power cable.  But um, had to disconnect the USB power cable too!   But I just pushed it aside. 

Unplugged the power to the brainbox from the backplane and put the 660 in with its different power harness on it as it’s short.  AND, the USB power plug was wrapped around it.  Plugged it into the backplane.  But since ya don’t see the USB PSU on top.  You eh…forget because you can’t see it right there!

So brainbox had power.  But the power plug from the USB PSU that comes out the back on a 660 was just wrapped up, and the power cable from the old 620 was still connected to the center plug on the backplane that of course is marked “USB power”, and the other end was the cable I had just pushed aside is just hanging as the USB power for the backplane uses the new harness.  :duh:

Sheesh!   Not putting the 660 back in tonight.  But the only reason I realized it was by putting the old box back, and the touchscreen still gave the error.  Except this time I could see the USB PSU wasn’t connected!  Plugged it in, touchscreen is naturally fine when USB has power. 

Tomorrow I’ll swap it back.  And this time.  I’ll remove the USB Power cable from the center of the backplane, and I’ll plug the one into it from the different harness from the 660!  Everything has to be plugged in!

But credit still to you.  If I hadn’t put the old one back it wouldn’t have been obvious at all!

Hope my being stupid might help someone else!  Ha

Thanks Tilt! 

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2023, 04:33:23 AM »
My working partner moved a machine once, turned on the power switch and nothing happened.
He's starts digging around thinking there's something wrong with the power harness...swaps it out, no change, so then changes out the power supply...still no go.
After checking fuses, and everything else, he comes to get me to go take a look at it.
I walk over there with him, look behind the machine and see that the plug is out of the wall  :duh: :rotfl:
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline sccarlso

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2023, 07:52:03 AM »

I’m usually the one that finds that stuff, lol

Or the wife is about to throw her iPhone saying it doesn’t work!
Then I walk up, tap the screen twice and everything works.  Heh

All that remains which is blocking install of my MLD screen is the dang power cable!
Really don’t want to keep looking & looking for the cable.

The TFT has a 9 pin molex, but the MLD has a 6 pin molex!
My G23 has a 440w PSU.  So I know the 9 pin that’s in there just has empty pins that aren’t even connected and it was just a pinout change.  The required power wires are there.  And I have 6 pin molex connectors.

If I could find a pinout diagram of the 9 pin TFT & the 6 pin MLD power connectors at the displays.  I could simply clip off the 9 pin one, and just rewire the power cables to the correct locations on the 6 pin molex for the MLD screen power and be good to go. 

I have the schematic for the power from the backplane.  But not for the TFT & MLD display connectors as IGT doesn’t make the monitors.  So I haven’t been able to find pinouts for the monitor sockets themselves.

Will be happy to get my MLD screen powered up & in there.

Online Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2023, 09:59:27 AM »
Ha ha, glad you got it sorted out and that it was operator error.  It happens to all of us from time to time  :Tongue_Out:.  When something new doesn't work as expected I like to revert back to the way it was before I started messing with it just to make sure everything is still working, and then proceed.  There's that one in a million or so chance that when you turned the machine on with the 660 brainbox that the touchscreen controller decided to crap out when you did.  I know, not likely, but Murphy is not nice and has done stuff like that to me before.  It also helps find things you may have overlooked like the power connector. 

Here's a pic and wiring diagrams of the G23 MLD and G23 Non-MLD power connector.  The MLD is just 4 wires, +24VDC and ground (X2).  Should be a simple job if you already have the connectors and a pin removal tool. 

« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 10:33:32 AM by Tilt »

Offline sccarlso

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2023, 12:55:26 PM »
Hey thanks!  Was looking for it in a pile of diagrams!

Looks like a simpler cable than the TFT one.  That helps.

The pinout ID of the connectors always drives me crazy, and I don't want to put a pin in the wrong place! 

What's the pin number ordering if looking at the socket on the bottom of the MLD screen with the tab facing up as in this pic of my MLD screen?

Also, if I can't find the cable, at least I found the exact plug as it doesn't have standard pin shapes so you can't plug it into much else!  I got like 5 of them, as others have posted in classifieds looking for the plug as well.

Digikey part # A97674-ND
Manuf part # 172339-1
CONN PLUG HSG 6POS 4.14MM

Thanks Tilt!!!

Online Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2023, 01:25:48 PM »
I'm not good at mirror images, but it should be like this looking at my pic of the connector, the drawing, and your picture.  It also shows the pin numbers on the Engineering drawing of the part number you provided.

Offline sccarlso

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2023, 02:10:29 PM »
Many thanks!  Pin outs “should” be standard, but always helpful for a verification when you’re not absolutely certain!  😁

Online Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2023, 02:15:13 PM »
Yeah, don't want to let the  :burningresistor: out!

Online Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2023, 10:47:31 PM »
Well, did you get working?

Offline sccarlso

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2023, 11:21:16 PM »
I did!

Wasn’t a tough job, but they had to use a dang AMP connector so the monitor plug looks like a molex, but the 6 pin socket on the monitor has square pins and U shaped pins vs a std molex. But Digikey had it.  Once I had a matching plug it was all smooth!

Thanks Tilt!  👍

Online Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2023, 11:31:21 PM »
Good deal, glad you got it hooked up and running  :applause:  Thanks for the update!

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal