New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Performance increase with a Mississippi JUR chip???  (Read 2987 times)

Offline Yoeddy1

• Kit addiction expert
  • NLG Support Staff
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 174
  • Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!
  • "Get busy livin, or get busy dyin." -Andy Dufresne
    • Yoeddy's Slot Machine Videos
Performance increase with a Mississippi JUR chip???
« on: July 31, 2015, 02:51:29 PM »
Ok guys, I may get laughed out of the room on this one, but I'm going to put it out there for those that like to investigate performance related issues.

In my BB1 I'm running an NXT1 (blue board with the Intel Celeron CPU and 512 megs of RAM).  The game that I'm running (currently) is Zeus II on a 13.x OS.  I haven't tested this on 9.x.  I have the game set up with multidenom of .01/.02/.05/.10. 

I was running with a Louisiana JUR chip which consequently ran the annoying clicking meters.  Today I changed the JUR chip to a Mississippi JUR chip which disables the meters.  Here's where the fun starts...

The entire time I ran the Louisiana JUR chip, I noticed that when the meters were clicking away during gameplay, the performance was a bit sluggish with the reel spins until the clicking stopped.  Usually, this would mean when I pressed the spin button on a max bet reels 1 and 2 would start off slower with the meters clicking, and then the performance would get better for the rest of the reels when the meters stopped clicking.  This was on .10 denom which would create more meter activity compared to .01 cent.

With .01, I didn't notice as much of a performance hit with the reels spinning because there wasn't as much clicking compared to .10 when doing a max bet spin. 

Now that I've replaced the Louisiana JUR chip with the Mississippi JUR chip, I don't notice the performance hit with reel spins on any denoms, and they all perform the same (better). 

So I guess the question is...

Do active meters tax the CPU with additional cycles that impact performance in some fashion compared to inactive meters?  The financial data is still being written and logged in the system, but without the meters spinning away.  I know many think I'm somewhat insane, and that is true to some degree, but who isn't right?   :arrowthruhead:

Cheers!
Jason

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and win one meellion dollars!!!

Offline idesign

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 150
  • idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Performance increase with a Mississippi JUR chip???
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 07:35:02 AM »
Well, you obviously changed the timing belts when you added the MS chip?   :24: :24:

Seriously though, Wow, all I can say to this is you need to add another hobby to your collection.  You have too much time on your hands to be thinking about these mundane questions well beyond the hobbyist realm.
If it ain't broke don't mess with it.....

Offline iramack

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • iramack Is working their way up.iramack Is working their way up.iramack Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 08:03:51 AM »
Well, you obviously changed the timing belts when you added the MS chip?   :24: :24:

Seriously though, Wow, all I can say to this is you need to add another hobby to your collection.  You have too much time on your hands to be thinking about these mundane questions well beyond the hobbyist realm.

:I_agree_1: :I_agree_1: :I_agree_1: :I_agree_1:

Offline Haywired

• Formerly Triplediamond
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 23
  • Haywired New User barely matters.Haywired New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 08:52:39 AM »

:me_too: :me_too: :me_too: :I_agree_1: :I_agree_1: :I_agree_1:

Offline Yoeddy1

• Kit addiction expert
  • NLG Support Staff
  • Reputation Power: 174
  • Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!
  • "Get busy livin, or get busy dyin." -Andy Dufresne
    • Yoeddy's Slot Machine Videos
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 08:53:16 PM »
Mundane?  Perhaps, but I guarantee that there are some that will try this behind the scenes simply out of morbid curiosity.  Job, family, etc...I have plenty to do no doubt.  My mind never shuts off (unfortunately), and 2-3 hours of sleep per night allows for many projects and "mundane" activities to get done I guess.

Thanks,
Jason

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and win one meellion dollars!!!

Offline cowboygames

• If I'm Not Here, Check The Golf Course
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 204
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
  • You Can't Find a Better Friend Than a Dog
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 09:15:58 PM »
No biggie Jason, I dwell on the difference in spin time between the reels every time I push the button. Can't help, I can see it and it gets to bugging me after a while....

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 169
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 10:56:27 PM »
Do active meters tax the CPU with additional cycles that impact performance in some fashion compared to inactive meters?

I guess it wouldn't shock me if they did, Jason.  The machine has to send a pulse for every click of the meter, so it's taking up some processing power to send out all of those pulses.  Combine that with not-so-robust hardware that seems to be the norm in video slots and sure, it seems reasonable to me that you could see a slight performance hit with the CPU having to devote some of its energy to pulsing the physical meters.  Glad to hear that the machine is running better for you with the new chip.   :yes:
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal