New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Help with my IGT S Plus Reel 2 not working  (Read 1126 times)

Offline polishfreight

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • polishfreight New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Help with my IGT S Plus Reel 2 not working
« on: April 05, 2020, 04:41:38 AM »
Hello, I have a IGT S+ Slant Top Slot Machine. Its been working great until I changed the game yesterday. I changed the game from Blackjack to Diamond 5's. I've done this before but this time I've encountered a problem. I got the game up and running, put credits on it then when I would play it Reel 2 would not spin and I would get the Error 42 Error Code. I would open the door and close it, it would work fine again for awhile, but then after awhile it would tilt again. I would repete the process and would be ok. Then finally it just stopped all together. So I swapped the reel assemblies to see if it was that. Nope, its isolated to reel 2. I checked the connector underneath the reel assemble and appears its connected correctly. When plugged in the reel isn't stiff like reel 1 and 3 with the power on, so something is preventing power getting to reel 2, I just can't figure this one out at all. Any advice you can give would greatly be appreciated... Thank you......

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 411
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Help with my IGT S Plus Reel 2 not working
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 07:10:54 AM »
Pull out the MPU and carefully remove the SS chip.
Check the legs of this chip to see if any of the legs are folded underneath the body of the chip.
If okay, re-install the chips you had previously and see if the reel error goes away.
Leave the SP chip if you didn't have to change it when you switched the game.
If the reel error goes away, the problem is with the SS chip of the new game.

Let us know if this works, if not, I have something else you can try.

Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline polishfreight

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 09:08:48 AM »
Hello,
Thank you for your response. I did try that and same thing happened. Reel 2 will not work. When I turn machine on Reels 1 and 3 get energized and are stiff but Reel 2 its as if there is no power getting to it. Very strange. Machine worked great for years. I'm not sure whats going on. I took an Ohm meter and checked the resisters on the board 12345 all reading the same, and none of the 123 are burnt. I thank you for your help..

• Topic Moderator
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 09:29:15 AM »
okay....leave the reels where they are but pull out the first two reel Molex connectors and swap them back into first two the reels above.

When you do this, the problem should go to the 1st left-most reel, while the middle reel becomes energized and holds it's position.

If so, then the problem isn't the reels themselves but further down the line beginning with the reel harness>>>motherboard>>>MPU.

Best way to start is by removing the reel harness from the machine ( the three reel Molexes and the motherboard reel connector Molex) and checking each end of it for continuity with a multimeter.

There could be an unseen break in one of the wires on the 2nd (middle) reel from when you swapped the game initially to the new game you were trying to install.

Take your time and make sure to follow each colored wire pin from the 2nd reel Molex housing back to the large black Molex pins that plugs into the motherboard.

Be patient, you will find the break in one of the wire circuits.....usually a ground wire towards the outside pins of the Molex housing where it connects to the second reel connector pins....sometimes people exert too much pressure on the outside wires as they try to yank/wiggle the reel Molex housing out.

Anyway, a break in the harness wiring is much easier and cheaper to repair rather than pulling out some bucks from your wallet to go buy a working MPU board or sending it out for a professional to repair a possible burned out reel driver chip.

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline polishfreight

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 10:15:05 AM »
Hello,
Thank you for your response. I did try that where and the problem is in that reel 2 connector.

So the thing is that I didn't move any wiring harness or connectors when I changed the game. All I did was pull the board and swapped out the chips and reinstalled. Never went close to any wires, so I'm not sure what could of happened.

I will try removing and try to find it. I did take my meter and reel connector 1 i was getting 8.?vdc on top pins 1 and 3, whereas  on reel 2 connector on top pins 1 and 3 I got nothing but second row of pins #3 I was getting 9.?VDC. So I don't know. Where is the Reel Driver Chip? Any way I can check that or test that? I thank you for all of your help...

Offline polishfreight

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 10:18:30 AM »
Oops I forgot. Would a Ram Clear solve this? I don't have the chips anyway. I just trying to think. Thanks.

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 04:42:56 PM »
No, a RAM clear would not resolve this.

With the power off, remove your MPU board again and look carefully at all of the pins on it that plug into the motherboard (fixed board in the back of your machine) to ensure that none of them got bent or damaged when the board was removed and re-inserted.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 300
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 05:58:42 PM »
check the pins inside the  plug on the base of the reel assembly, sometimes they get pushed back into the plug itself,  this could cause   the problem you are having.

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline polishfreight

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 06:03:28 AM »
Thank you. I appreciate your help. I will let you know what I find out. I"ve swapped games many times in the machines I had and never encountered something like this. Hope I can identify it and get it going. If its a bad reel driver chip, then I don't know how to check that or where that chip is on the board. I tested the reel resisters. All 5 are reading the same so i'm sure thats not the problem. Wish it was as simple as a motor cause I have a few of them extra, but its not. Thanks again, I appreciate it...

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 300
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 06:36:35 AM »
there are four wires that control the stepper motor, three control the emitter and detector optics and two are a jumper.  the four wires leave the plug on the bottom of the reel assembly and go to pins 18-19-20 -21 of J-7(motherboard),  they go from that plug to J-2 of the cpu board pins 21b-20-a-20b-19a, they go from their to IC-U2  pins 16-14-1-3.

hope this helps

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline polishfreight

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 06:52:59 AM »
It does, Thank you I'm going to check it out today. Just out of curiosity if you know. What wires on that reel 2 connector are supposed to have vdc? Thanks again....

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 12:45:11 PM »
Remember, when you initially swapped the game from to the other, all you did really, was remove the MPU to swap the chips.
However, a few things could of went wrong during that procedure.
Number one was the legs of the chips that you installed.
You could of folded a leg underneath the chip body or bent a pin went pushing the MPU back into the motherboard.
Did you change both the SS and SP chips or just the SS chip?

I was hoping you'd look for a break in the reel harness rather than look for voltages in the 4 reel motor wires.
Setting your multimeter on continuity and looking for the break would solve that problem immediately.
Finding the vdc power is okay but that needs a ground wire to work.

You really need to respond to Reply #6 about the MPU pins.
I think Knagl's diagnosis was better than my thinking/leaning towards the reel harness since you "Never went close to any wires"

Offline polishfreight

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 01:49:42 PM »
Hello,
Just the SS Chip was changed out. I did look at the wiring harness from the reel shelf all the way back to the board where the mpu gets seated to. The wiring harness looks good, all wires in the connectors, and didn't find any broken wires or frayed wires. I checked the voltages to see if there was any dc power coming into that reel 2 plug. I tested continuity from the reel 2 connector back to the big connector where the other wiring harness gets connected to. Each wire tested ok for continuity.

I did check the pins to make sure none was broken off or bent, all looks perfect. Very strange. Maybe its the Reel Eprom? Or perhaps maybe something wrong with the board that the mpu gets plugged into? I may try another Reel Eprom and see if that does anything, and maybe something shorting that other board out in the back. Its got to be something. Just can't seem to pinpoint. I thank you for all your advice... I've worked on these games and can't believe this one.

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 02:03:46 PM »
What happens if you put the original SS chip back in?

Offline polishfreight

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2020, 02:06:29 PM »
Hello I tried that last night, and the same thing happens. So perhaps maybe I need to pull that back board and see if anything got behind it and maybe shorted something out. Just seems too weird that this is happening.

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2020, 03:44:14 PM »
Try a different MPU board then.

Offline polishfreight

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2020, 06:32:26 AM »
Hello Update:
I got another MPU board and replaced it. Set the board up as the old board setting, and replaced the game and reel chips. The whole machine came back to life. All reels were working correctly. I was playing machine and Bam! Again  the same thing happened. Closed and opened the lid and that cleared it, but kept coming back and then it would not reset. I did notice that the switch behind the bill validator plate, I don't know how to explain it, but thought something might be wrong with it. I was inspecting the switch and it literally just crumbled in my fingertips. The age of it made it so brittle. So I got a new switch, installed it. Pulled the board, and chips. Then reinstalled the chips, and the board. Machine has been running fine. So not quite sure what could of been the problem? Perhaps the switch? Before I inspected the switch I thought maybe bad optics on the lid? Reels? Anyway its working. Hope it stays that way. I thank you for all your help.....

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2020, 01:05:01 PM »
If the switch was shorted, that would cause a problem along the optic lines.

Glad you got it up and running....plus now you have a spare MPU!

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal