New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: New Member, Hi and basic directions  (Read 9020 times)

Offline off-track

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • off-track New User barely matters.off-track New User barely matters.
  • NLG
New Member, Hi and basic directions
« on: August 18, 2015, 06:39:57 PM »
Hi, my name is Scott and I'm a slot-aholic.  :wave:

Sorry, I just encountered NLG and obviously have a LOT of treading to do but was hoping for some basic direction.  I just purchased my second machine, am in the process of getting it to 100% and have some basic questions. 

I think the machine is a IGT S+ but keep seeing conflicting information on the location of the MPU as far as identification goes.  Five buttons and four segmented numeric LED displays.  Am I on the right track and if so, should I post any further questions to that forum section?

Offline Paul

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 49
  • Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
Re: New Member, Hi and basic directions
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 07:08:57 PM »
Hi Scott
Welcome to your addiction.
Yes you have a S+ so post your question and
we will help you get it worked out.

1st rule of electronic repair.
"Thou shall check voltages"
⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 07:10:32 PM »
If it has a bill acceptor (or the place where one used to be installed) it is an S+
(I think I'm right about that, if not others will correct).

If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline off-track

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 07:39:00 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply!

The machine works fine, I'm just looking to make it into a glorified piggy bank for now and maybe some theme changes after that?

When I got it, the belly glass release pin and lock assembly were missing for some reason??  :Scratch-Head:   Got that sorted with a replacement pin from Spin and a run to HD for a cam lock.

Now I'm looking at the best (most inexpensive) way to replace the missing bill validator mechanism.  I see the whole works on fleabay but was hoping for a better alternative??  From the pictures you can see that the outer housing is there but I need some direction from there.  There is the open slot with no text on the yellow insert?  It does not light up but the bulbs may be burnt out?  It appears that I need several parts and some harnesses but am not sure.  There is no connection to the cash box door switch and a "beaned" connector laying on the floor of the housing.  If any more pictures of the interior would help just let me know. 

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 08:05:46 PM »
yes, pictures would help. In particular the lower and middle part of the machine showing what wiring is (or isn't there) running from the bill acceptor area on right side of machine down to motherboard and mpu board area. Also a closeup picture of the front of main door where the bill acceptor would go.

Are you able to play the machine using coins? There may be folks here on NLG that have the bill acceptor parts you need. And in some cases a newer model bill acceptor called a WBA (instead of the older DBV model) can be installed.

I think your machine's original bill acceptor would look similar to this photo, this is the DBV model.

(hopefully I'm not off in left field on this). The bill is inserted into the head. The head verifies it is a legit bill, then passes it out the back of the head to the transport. The transport moves the bill horiz a few inches and then it curves downward where it is fed into the bill stacker and cash can for storage.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 08:59:48 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline off-track

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 09:05:53 PM »
From what I've been able to figure out so fa,r that appears to be exactly what I need?

BV power supply, carrier, transport, validator, cash box and harness.  I have seen some references to a set chip but??

The attached pictures show what I have other than the "motherboard".  For some reason I can't capture that but there is a black connector that is empty.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 09:34:28 PM »
From what I've been able to figure out so fa,r that appears to be exactly what I need?

BV power supply, carrier, transport, validator, cash box and harness.  I have seen some references to a set chip but??

The attached pictures show what I have other than the "motherboard".  For some reason I can't capture that but there is a black connector that is empty.

The SET chip is an eprom that you temporarily plug into the mpu board in place of the PROGRAM eprom. The sole purpose of the SET chip on an S+ machine is to enable the bill validator (also called bill acceptor). There are different IGT SET chips, they are known by their number, like SET015 for example. When you power up the machine with a SET chip installed the screen will give you a menu with a selection to enable the bill validator. Once selected you save your settings, then power down, remove the SET chip and reinstall the PROGRAM eprom.

Sometimes people get confused on the terminology on slot machine motherboards due to their thinking about a computer. On a computer the motherboard is the main system board that contains the microprocessor and memory chips. But on a slot machine the motherboard is the somewhat simple board that the mpu (main system board) and wiring harnesses plug into. The microprocessor board with the game software is called the "mpu" board. It is mounted on a metal tray for protection, sits vertically alongside the wall in the lower area of machine. It connects to the motherboard that is mounted on the floor of the lower area. On the top edge of the mpu there should be a volume control for sound, it is often blue in color. All of this is behind the coin hopper.

The yellow insert near where the bills would be inserted probably used to be something like the one in photo below.

So, it looks like nearly all the bill acceptor parts were removed. I'm about at the limit of my expertise, don't want to steer you wrong, so we need to let others more familiar with the S+ machines give advice on how to proceed with replacing the bill acceptor.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 10:06:36 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline Shaggy

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 06:16:31 AM »
Welcome to NLG. Yeah don't worry about the lights not working, they hook up to the harness and get their signal from the b/v. You're also missing the power supply and the interior cage for the b/v and stacker. It looks like a WBA case but I can't say for sure. You need some parts but they can be found here. The set chip is the last link in the chain. You have a "newer" style S+, I have one like yours and an older one that never had a b/v. Hold tight you'll get plenty of responses.

Dave
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline Shaggy

• Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 07:55:10 AM »
Here's some pics of one of my S+ machines. You can see the power supply an hook ups and the inside of the cage. This is a WBA validator. The last one shows the side with the power supply off.

Dave
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline off-track

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 06:56:53 PM »
You have a "newer" style S+, I have one like yours and an older one that never had a b/v. Hold tight you'll get plenty of responses.

Thanks Shaggy.  I think that explains some of my confusion?  Everything I was seeing (and my interaction with Spin) said that an S+ had the MPU on the left side of the hopper.

Obviously my camera skills suck.  Your pictures tell me much more.  From what I had determined I am missing the BV power supply mounted to the outside and you confirmed that.  I didn't know that it plugged into the white molex connector above the MPU though.  There is also a open two wire black connector there with red and green wires? 

I had figured that all I have is the outer cage and need a bunch of parts.  The PN on the cage I have is 71227800 C and the beaned wire laying on the bottom inside is green and green/blue. 

What's the best way to go about finding the missing pieces? 

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 05:13:18 AM »
A couple of different ways.....Put out an ask for anyone who may have the needed parts. But posting wanted to buys is supposed to be limited to the classifieds. The home page has a list of vendors who may have some or maybe all you need. Without being a contributing member you can't advertise in the classifieds. But for a small donation you get 30 days access to all the contributing member perks. As for the wires in the bottom of the cage those are the bill stacker (cash can) optics. You can deal with those later. A lot of the vendors read these posts and may reply with a list of items needed. Personally I would make a 10 or 20 dollar donation and advertise in the classifieds. Then you can go to the download section also. Sounds like you have a good start. Good luck.

Dave

Offline off-track

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 07:00:10 PM »
This may be a dumb question but, since I'm not allowed to even view the download section, exactly what can I expect to find there that would be useful?

I see there are several vendors listed on the home page.  Which would you suggest contacting for pieces parts?

I found the belly latch pin just searching and landed on a company called "Spin Inc" in FL.  Pleased with that transaction despite some initial confusion as I mentioned above.  Ever heard of them? 

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 07:15:24 PM »
No I haven't heard of them. But the download section has all the sheets for your particular game chip and settings to enhance that. It may not be something you necessarily need but if like me I changed chips in my triple diamond and tokenized it. I needed the download to set the machine up. This may not be something you need, but it's available. Off the top of my head..... Midwest slots, Bestbuy slots CVslots, Rudy's deals. I'm not on there but send an e-mail and see if they have some or all the parts you need. Tell them what you're doing and ask for a parts list and quote. I think you can find what you need.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 08:19:09 PM »
Another source of good information on your machine are the NLG "sticky notes".

In the root or 1st page of each forum here on NLG there are what are called "sticky notes". These are discussion threads that have valuable information and how-to's on several subjects that commonly come up. These sticky notes are highlighted with a red thumbtack icon and a different background color than the normal thread, they are always at the top of the first page of that particular forum. In case you haven't seen or read them here is the first page of the IGT S and S+ forum:

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?board=80.0

Spin Inc is a fairly well-known parts place, I've dealt with them on some hard to find parts and was very satisfied. The owner has been involved in slot machine parts sales for some time. I think they might generally do business with other companies instead of individuals but I haven't been shooed away.

http://www.spininc.com/

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 301
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 08:26:16 AM »
you will need the following parts to install the bill acceptor:

power supply for a WBA bill acceptor:  has two harnesses one to the machine supply and the other to the transport plug.  requires two metric nuts to secure it to the side of the  housing.
transport shelf assembly and harness: this is the part that will accept the transport unit and hold the cash can. the harness wires are routed out the back and connect to one of  the harness from the power supply .
this unit requires four screws to mound it to the housing in the machine, two on the backwall, and two on the side wall, one in front and one in the rear, usually only one is installed in the front.  two different sizes and they are metric.
the transport consists of four parts, the transport itself, the head and the software and the DUCKBILL. make sure you get software for a S+ machine, IDO-023 with the latest version software (new TENS) new fives are available but cost more. make sure you get the right DUCKBILL, it has to match the opening of the housing on the door.
cash can for a WBA.  the bottom door will swing down and prevent it from being set properly, usually I put a crease in the bottom metal and this will hold the door shut.
set chip to enable the bill acceptor.  a procedure to 1- enable the bill acceptor, 2- set the denomination.
it appears that you have the lamp board assembly in the machine (above the opening) you may need new lamps for this, #86 bulb, these can be tested in the 25 cent denomination  lamp holder.
those two wires can be routed out the back of the housing, they have to remain spliced together.

Hope this helps

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline off-track

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2015, 08:53:06 PM »
make sure you get the right DUCKBILL, it has to match the opening of the housing on the door

How do I identify the correct DUCKBILL?

it appears that you have the lamp board assembly in the machine (above the opening)

Curious why it is the bezel just a blank yellow bar though.  Is  the denomination label just a decal that's missing, or is it something else?

Is there a way to use the test button/reset switch to see if the BV is enabled without the use of the set chip?

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 03:56:41 AM »
make sure you get the right DUCKBILL, it has to match the opening of the housing on the door

How do I identify the correct DUCKBILL?

it appears that you have the lamp board assembly in the machine (above the opening)

Curious why it is the bezel just a blank yellow bar though.  Is  the denomination label just a decal that's missing, or is it something else?

Is there a way to use the test button/reset switch to see if the BV is enabled without the use of the set chip?

When ordering parts ask for: Duckbill for a Wba validator to fit an S+. I'm sure they changed out the bezel to keep people from trying to stick money in there. You can change it out too. There is also a large decal on the front of the door to show denominations the bill acceptor will take. The one on the reel glass is replaceable from the inside. Usually just taped in.

Fixed a broken quote box. -knagl
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 07:12:09 AM by knagl »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 05:16:08 AM »

I think if you press the test switch and look at the settings screens one of them will say BV ENABLED or something similar. Give it a try, will be good to get familiar with the various menu screens. Don't change anything you aren't certain about.

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2015, 05:36:43 AM »
http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=514.0

Here is a thread from this page to help with typical settings on an S+. The S+ doesn't have a vfd so all the settings will be numerical. This is where the documents for your particular game chip would be handy.

Dave

Offline cowboygames

• If I'm Not Here, Check The Golf Course
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 204
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
  • You Can't Find a Better Friend Than a Dog
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2015, 05:46:22 AM »
It is an S+ so there won't be an "worded" messages. All menu options will be listed as a numeric menu number in one display window with a current setting indicated by another numeric code in a second window. This is where the download section will come in handy because it has a pdf file that will tell you what number corresponds to what menu and what the second display window number indicates as far as a current setting for that menu option. You'll use this not only to enable your BV but also to set options such as credit, hopper BV limits and the value of each coin inserted. There's a lot to learn...

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal