New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally Game Maker 7217 Trouble With Set Up.  (Read 556 times)

Offline Ash100

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 67
  • Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!
  • NLG
Bally Game Maker 7217 Trouble With Set Up.
« on: January 26, 2024, 01:54:12 PM »
I've got a Game Maker that I'm trying to do the initial set up on and I can't get past the One Time Configuration pages.

Every time I start it up, go through the initial settings and get to the extra set up pages the monitor goes blank then reappears with a blue screen and the text "Please Install Clear Chip Minimum and Maximum Wager Settings Must Be Configured".

So, I'm assuming that the MPU is going into a reboot halfway through my set up and wiping out my saved data, forcing me to perform the Clear again.

I have all 4 Green LEDs on the MPU and the Red Reset LED doesn't blink during the cycle. But the longer I leave the machine on, the quicker the cycling gets.

Is this indicative of a bad MPU?

Maybe a Thermal Shutdown?

And is it repairable? I haven't seen too many Game Maker Boards on the open market.

Thanks,

Curtis ash100
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 02:29:24 AM by Ash100 »
Eat 'till you're tired, Sleep 'till you're hungry

Offline Chris-socal

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 42
  • Chris-socal Might someday be someone...Chris-socal Might someday be someone...Chris-socal Might someday be someone...Chris-socal Might someday be someone...
  • Keep tinkering until it works!
Re: Bally Game Maker 7217 Trouble With Set Up.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 09:55:32 AM »
Hi Curtis
Gamemaker boards are available, some if us have two that we swap out so we can have 20 games to play, just swap the hoard.
I am not an expert on the board, that would be Badbaud.
But I seem to recall mine doing this when I was getting it working.
Have you verified all game eeproms are firmly seated and installed correctly? I know it seems simple but sometimes someone installs a short eeprom shifted to the wrong side and the game messes up.
Second, you are absolutely positive the backup battery is above 3v and soldered well? The battery is vital on these.
Can you take a picture of the board from above so we can look at jumpers and eeproms?
It would jelpful to have a second board so we can verify its the board and not PS or back board.

Chris

Offline Ash100

• Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 12:28:19 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

I've checked all of the EPROMS, they're where they're supposed to be and oriented correctly.

The battery holder was previously installed, but I did put a fresh Battery in it.

I just don't understand why it's resetting halfway through the set up process. I'm guessing that the MPU is failing.

I've attached a photo.

Thanks,

Curtis ash100

Offline Chris-socal

• Sr NLG Member
  • Chris-socal Might someday be someone...Chris-socal Might someday be someone...Chris-socal Might someday be someone...Chris-socal Might someday be someone...
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2024, 01:56:36 PM »
Let me ask around.
Out of curiosity, are you intentionally not putting a game chip in P10?
Usually all 10 slots have games, you just pull the one in P10 to insert the reset chip.
When the program tells you to shut down and reset switches Put game back in P10 and restart machine.

Chris

Offline Ash100

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2024, 05:13:01 PM »
It never had a chip in P10.

Everything shown is exactly the way it came to me.

I found it in a friend's warehouse (he's in the Arcade business and sometimes ends up with some slots now and then in his shipments). It had a dead CRT, so I found one that worked from an old Bally EVO. Aside from cleaning it up, this is the original configuration.

I'd be interested in obtaining a second MPU for troubleshooting purposes. And this is my first and only Game Maker, so I'm interested in figuring out all of the settings and so forth.

Curtis ash100

Offline erbs

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 76
  • erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2024, 09:45:03 PM »
Are you sure that your clear chip is good? Not sure if your problem is by not having a game chip in socket #10. I have had several Gamekings and always had game chips in #10 

Offline Chris-socal

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2024, 10:51:15 PM »
Seems like the clear chip has already done its job by the time it shuts down, Curtis said it shuts down during the setup process. The chip has been removed and switches returned to off position by then.
I ran this by Badbaud, he suggested looking at PS. I wonder about monitoring 5v circuit during setup. Maybe it drops.
By any chance does it drop at exactly the same step every time? Perhaps when saving a specific setting or when writing the first setting?

Offline Ash100

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2024, 02:35:26 PM »
Update....

I pulled the machine out today and was able to get completely through the initial set up menu and now it's on the Game Selection Page (Home, I guess). It's showing 9 available Games.

Now I've got to work through the errors.

First one is Bill Acceptor Failure, which is easy. I've got a few extra WBAs that I can Flash to ID003 and test out.

Second error is No Printer Installed, which didn't even let me select a Printer in the set up menu. Assuming it's because I selected no SAS/Primary Host. If it's anything like other Bally products, it requires TITO to operate...maybe??

Next is Door problems. It's showing Service and Drop Doors Open with the Main Door Open. (Main doesn't show open) When I close the Main Door, it shows Open, along with the other 2. Something is backwards??

I selected Pulsed Optics in the set up. The machine is equipped with the Optics on the Main Door with a Cherry Switch below it, and a Cherry Switch on the Belly Door. Opening and Closing the Belly Door has no effect. I don't know where the Bypass Jumper would go for the Drop Door, if it even uses one.

So, that's where I'm at now with this thing.

Good news is, I was able to get through the entire configuration process without any dropouts or power cycling. And it's still on as I type this. I just can't play it yet.

Thanks again for your help and inputs.

Curtis ash100

Offline Chris-socal

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2024, 09:50:10 PM »
Did you take it out of demo mode? Thats not going to answer all your questions but it will prevent the machine from accepting coins or bills.
Was this done as part of your setup instructions!

Offline Ash100

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2024, 03:57:39 PM »
I don't know anything about Demo Mode.

It wasn't anywhere in the Menu Settings when I set it up, so I'm assuming it's not in Demo Mode. It doesn't say Demo Mode anywhere on the Monitor.

It's not going to work anyway until I can get the Doors to show closed.

I have a Coin Comparator, but no Hopper or Coin Head. If  I can get it to where it at least plays, I'll start looking for a Hopper and Coin Head and just do the set up again once I'm to that point.

Curtis ash100

Offline Chris-socal

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2024, 06:17:49 PM »
Open the door
Rotate the switch once
Go to the configuration menu on the far right
Go to Terminal ID
If it is available for setup ( nothing populated) you need to press 11111111111 all the way through.
If it is already set up you didn’t clear it and you are fine.
Beyond that I don’t have anything to offer. You might send an email to K-Lar and ask what they charge to test and repair the board.

Chris

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal