New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Going from Fam14 to Fam20 on a G23 SMLD machine  (Read 1385 times)

Offline The laneman

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 57
  • The laneman Is on the verge of being accepted.The laneman Is on the verge of being accepted.The laneman Is on the verge of being accepted.The laneman Is on the verge of being accepted.The laneman Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
Re: Going from Fam14 to Fam20 on a G23 SMLD machine
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2024, 05:48:46 PM »
Thanks

Offline a69mopar

• Global NLG Site Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 83
  • a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
    • www.gtaslots.com
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2024, 05:54:59 PM »
You're welcome

Offline sccarlso

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • sccarlso Is working their way up.sccarlso Is working their way up.sccarlso Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2024, 11:43:58 AM »
Well, have to say, a bit of a learning curve using Fam20.  But I did get it running!  Runs pretty well too!
Fully functional with printer/BV/Tito.  Some minor issues have come up, but I've been able to resolve them so far.

After my first try with a few games loaded (and learning setting up dual SSD's, one primary, and one "data" drive).
Wasn't "required", but hey, why not?  lol   Just needed a somewhat unique cable that was SATA power/data on each end, but both ends are female.  So
I could connect the "data" SSD directly to get power from the board for it instead of a PSU power plug.

Also, fam20 being a 64bit OS, I upgraded the RAM on my 660 board to 8GB.  Harder to find a pair of 4GB compatible chips since they're older memory chips, but did find them, and now it reports 8GB of RAM installed.

So all running, but on my first try, I had about 8 games, but I have no data on machine requirements for the game titles I have. 
Fam20 doesn't seem to do checks when you load games to verify they will run.  So I really only found out after
enabling one without a PSR to reference.  When you enable games, since it will let you load Crystal Core games on an upgraded G23 with a 660 box, enabling a game is when you find out when flying blind if it will work or not.

They might even run (although slow and laggy).  But they will error after you enable it and exit game setup for
it not detecting a touchscreen button panel, a TPP.  So it stops there.  But doesn't crash the machine or anything.
Just have to go back and disable that game.  From what I've found experimenting, not all Crystal Core games "require" a touch button panel.

But something really interesting happened when I loaded the OS/Ascent/Games the first time...

All loaded ok.  And I enabled just two titles to test.   Worked fine.

But then I enabled a much larger game, almost certainly one that it couldn't handle.
And if I recall, it did throw an error after exiting the enable game menu, just can't recall what error or what exact game it was!  So I had to disable it of course.

The surprise was by loading it, and just enabling and disabling that game.  It reconfigured my top monitor as if it was a tall box!

So after I disabled it, the two working games still displayed stretched and sideways on the top monitor!

If only I had noted EXACTLY what steps I had done!  lol   
Instead, I did a full reset, OS/Ascent/Game load as that's what it took to revert the top monitor to normal orientation.

But now I want to back that way dangit!  I have my tall box mod on my other machine, and I should have just hooked it up, because since this changed ALL the other games on the machine to the same tall box format on the top screen.  I would have liked to have just seen how it looked with an actual tall rotated top screen connected!

I "think" it did this by believing it was a G23 32" "tall" model as in the pic attached here, but it wasn't that title.  I haven't been able to find much info on these cabinets as it was replaced with a newer model cabinet.  The only "current" one that's similar with a regular screen on the bottom and the tall display above it is the Crystal Curve Ultra.

But regardless, a specific game being loaded, even though it couldn't play on my platform, it did reconfigure the top display to be a tall box, and it stuck that way for all the other games as well.  So I'm going to keep trying to figure out what game title did it. 

Anyone out there who has messed with a Fam20 setup experience this???   Because I would love to have a tall display on there for all games.
I just can't get the right combination I had done to cause it to reconfigure the top monitor as a tall box.
I'm suspecting that at some point, when you load a tall box game (don't have to actually enable it), even if the platform isn't able to play it for whatever reason.  But just by it being loaded, it reconfigured the format of the top display, and it stuck for all games on the machine, and couldn't be switched back without a wipe/reload.   Again, stupid me, should have documented exactly what game ID's were loaded at the time!

If I can figure that out, my final mod attempt to try to just "max out" a 660 brainbox without using an AVP 4.0 box is video...

Now ya'll probably will think I'm on crack.  lol   But I'm going to try it anyway, it isn't expensive and if it works it will be huge.  Everyone knows the E4690 card is all you can use for Fam14.  But the Fam20 OS/Ascent software was "transitionary".  So it loads on a G23 3.0ME brainbox (a 660), as well as Crystal Core machines.

The Fam20 OS has drivers for new video cards for the Crystal Core series in it.  Those cards are the Radeon E6760 and the Radeon E9260.
The E6760 is a PCIE 2.1 card, and the E9260 is a PCIE 3.0 card.  But...PCIE is backwards compatible.  You can plug newer PCIE card into an older slot, you'll
just be limited by the PCIE 2.0 interface speed.  But I've read you don't lose so much that it isn't still worth it.

These two newer vid cards for the AVP 4.0 box have 4 and 5 MiniDP ports instead of DVI.   But there are adapters for miniDP to VGA, DVI and HDMI.  Even EDID foolers if needed.  And I was able to acquire each of these cards with IGT labels on them, hate the wait for shipping.   So the test is will they actually be recognized and function with a wipe and clean load of the machine when installed?  The drivers are in the OS... 

If I'm right, and it does detect/configure it with a fresh OS/Ascent load, well that just opens up a lot, even if it can't play a high end Crystal Core based game, the whole system would benefit from either of these much more powerful cards.  If I'm wrong, eh, not like I'm out that much, and will just put em on the shelf as I might have a Crystal Core machine down the road.

But for now, just trying to replicate whatever I loaded to cause my top monitor to be reconfigured as a tall box machine.

All comments/suggestions are welcome if you've done anything like this yourself.   If I get a better card than the E4690 running in a 660, or just get the fixed tall box config set again, I'll be sure to post about it! 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 03:26:45 PM by sccarlso »

Offline The laneman

• Sr NLG Member
  • The laneman Is on the verge of being accepted.The laneman Is on the verge of being accepted.The laneman Is on the verge of being accepted.The laneman Is on the verge of being accepted.The laneman Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2024, 01:02:46 PM »
I had the same issue with the sideways monitor.

What type ram did you use to upgrade to 8 gb?

Offline sccarlso

• sccarlso Is working their way up.sccarlso Is working their way up.sccarlso Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2024, 03:18:28 PM »
Can you remember exactly what you did that caused it to change the upper monitor to display sideways????   

I can easily put it back to "normal", but I want to set it back so it displays sideways again to test with a tall monitor but I'm just guessing at which title made it occur after I installed it.

Here's the correct memory.  You can get it on ebay but anyone in the US wants a high price for it.  Can get it from China for cheap if you're willing to wait two weeks for it to arrive.  There are some on Amazon though, I went with that so I could get it faster and it wasn't but $4 more a stick.

4GB DDR2 PC-6400U 800MHz 240 Pin for AMD

It has to be PC-6400U RAM that's only for AMD.   Many sellers on Amazon and eBay are selling the same and even have the same pictures.  lol

The ones I used:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BWFSJYRR?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

These are exactly the same modules.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QV8T3XJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

One seller only had 1 module for next day shipping, and another also only had 1 for next day shipping, so I bought one from each seller, same photos, and they were indeed exactly the same.  No issues at all.  The modules even looked new! 

Offline Retro tech repair

• Reputation Power: 81
  • Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2024, 04:53:06 PM »
Upper monitor turns sideways if you have any tall top game installed and it will stay that way unless you do a partial clear doesnt even matter if you don’t enable the game.

Offline The laneman

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2024, 07:55:03 PM »
I did a partial like retro said.

Offline sccarlso

• NLG
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2024, 07:22:11 AM »
Upper monitor turns sideways if you have any tall top game installed and it will stay that way unless you do a partial clear doesnt even matter if you don’t enable the game.

I thought I had, but I only have PSRs for a few games so I was just guessing.  I’ll try with the title from the pic I posted.  If that makes it flip, exactly what I needed to know!

Do you know if IGT released a series of titles specifically for a G23 w/32” tall top screens? (I thought I saw they also released a G23 w/ a 42” tall top screen as well), which is what I’d have on my custom mod cabinet. 

I’m really interested to see how titles like Dark & Stormy look with a tall screen.  I “think” there are a few similar titles where the video reels extend to the top monitor like that.  But the only way I can tell is to google for videos of game titles to see the arrangement.  I’m not sure what the gaming term is for games with video reels that extend to the top screen.

Appreciate the info!!!   Thank you!

Offline Yoeddy1

• Kit addiction expert
  • NLG Support Staff
  • Reputation Power: 174
  • Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!
  • "Get busy livin, or get busy dyin." -Andy Dufresne
    • Yoeddy's Slot Machine Videos
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2024, 03:36:42 PM »

I thought I had, but I only have PSRs for a few games so I was just guessing.  I’ll try with the title from the pic I posted.  If that makes it flip, exactly what I needed to know!

Do you know if IGT released a series of titles specifically for a G23 w/32” tall top screens? (I thought I saw they also released a G23 w/ a 42” tall top screen as well), which is what I’d have on my custom mod cabinet. 

I’m really interested to see how titles like Dark & Stormy look with a tall screen.  I “think” there are a few similar titles where the video reels extend to the top monitor like that.  But the only way I can tell is to google for videos of game titles to see the arrangement.  I’m not sure what the gaming term is for games with video reels that extend to the top screen.

Appreciate the info!!!   Thank you!

Dark & Stormy was one of the main reasons why I wanted to try the conversion a few months ago.  It ended up being really choppy in the sound department, and somewhat in the video…I think during a bonus round.  I love that game…wish it would have worked out.

Jason

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and win one meellion dollars!!!

Offline sccarlso

• NLG
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2024, 04:10:36 PM »
The sound is noticably better after putting in 8GB of RAM.  Still testing a few things though.

I'm going to make that same call though whether to remain on Fam20 or return to Fam14.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal