New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally E Series Machine Trouble - Won't boot  (Read 6175 times)

Offline gamesmedic

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • gamesmedic New User has no influence.
  • NLG
    • Gamesmedic.com
Bally E Series Machine Trouble - Won't boot
« on: August 12, 2016, 07:00:16 AM »
Pictures attached,

I turn the game on, get the digit "1" in the far right seven segment display. But the machine will not do the self test.

Pushing reset my the hopper can sometimes make the bell go on and off like the back up beeper of a truck. But stops when pressing reset again. All classic signs of a CPU working but a corrupt program. The RAM battery was just replaced with a 3.7 volt lithium, but the machine was failing before this.

My logic probe shows a clock cycle running, so I am assuming the CPU is working fine. My first thought is replacing the Epproms. Anyone have this problem and a fix?

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Bally E Series Machine Trouble - Won't boot
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 09:56:51 AM »
Sounds like your machine has a ram error. The 5101 ram chips are on the small attached ram board.. I've attached a Power up Malfunction code for Series 1000 machines.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline gamesmedic

• NLG
    • Gamesmedic.com
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 10:11:48 AM »
This is the same for an AS-2978-3, 2000 series?

:thank_you:
Alan

Offline gamesmedic

• NLG
    • Gamesmedic.com
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 12:58:58 PM »
Would the solution be doing something like a 'ram clear" as in other Bally machines, or should I just replace the ram chips, or sub board?

Offline Amechanic

• Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 01:24:31 PM »
Your MPU is series 1000.. The AS-2978-3 is the board #.. You should have a Bally tag on the lower right side on the cabinet under the handle.. Your going to have to replace 1, if not both ram chips on that board. Doing a ram clear wont fix this problem. You could try removing the ram board and reinstalling it. Also I would do the same to the power supply boards behind the hopper. You can find the Eam chips on Ebay..
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...

Offline gamesmedic

• NLG
    • Gamesmedic.com
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 01:40:50 PM »
I get  5.4 volts at the mpu board. I don't see what the power supply would have to do with this.

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 02:30:41 PM »
One if the main problems with the Bally E-Series machines are there power supply's and connection plugs. Heat cycles cause bad solder joints on the power supply header pins. Then what happens next is that 20 plug gets hot and burns the molex plug.. There are 4 test lops on the power supply, ground and 3 others, (see pic).. The voltages should be 5V DC, 7.5V DC, and 10V DC..
And remember...

Offline gamesmedic

• NLG
    • Gamesmedic.com
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 11:16:49 PM »
I get what you're saying. I've been reading other topics about these models as well. I will check the connector. I'm used to doing the same thing on Bally/Williams HV score displays.

On a different note, another topic shows on a 2000 mpu board, after replacing the battery with  3.6 volt lithium rechargeable, the charging circuit needs to be modified with a resistor removed and a blocking diode put in its place. I'm wondering if I should do the same on this 1000 board, see attached. Or should I just disable the charging circuit entirely since the battery I used was not rechargeable.

Back to problem 1, do you have a supplier for the 5101 ram chips you prefer or will any eBay 1024k VRAM work?

Alan

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 11:57:30 PM »
Anytime you install a lithium battery in these older machines they recommend you disable the charging curcuit since they were meant to use a Ni-cad battery. I believe any 1024 bit 5101 should work, but I've bought mine off the ad here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251898604630
It even comes with a new socket. That is another problem with these MPU boards is the cheap sockets used on the boards. Check your around the battery for green connections from the old battery. Also check the ram boards header connections. Those like to rot away too. Those are also available on EBay under Bally slots, seller is foxsslots, I this that the sellers ID.
And remember...

Offline gamesmedic

• NLG
    • Gamesmedic.com
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 12:53:39 AM »
:thank_you:

I will order the chips, do the testing/checks and get back to you next week.

Alan

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 04:48:11 AM »
Sounds goods.. Hopefully that will breath life back in to your machine..
And remember...

Offline ramegoom

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • ramegoom New User barely matters.ramegoom New User barely matters.
  • NLG
    • Caspers Electronics, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 07:47:29 PM »
I have been using Li-Ion rechargeable batteries (power tool cells) right along with my truckload of E2000 machines, with no issues whatsoever. The trickle charge characteristics of the CPU board won't overcharge or overheat these batteries, and they'll hold their charge for months with the power disconnected. Got mine off of Ebay, soldered pigtail wires onto the ends, and added a short piece of double-faced tape to secure the battery. The 100 ohm resistor stays on the board, and slowly charges the battery during play time.

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2016, 09:04:33 PM »
Do you know the EBay link ??
And remember...

Offline GOS

• Reputation Power: 84
  • GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 02:27:20 AM »
i sell the nicad batteries for $9.95 on ebay (152028476827) so why all the chatter for a work around?

Offline ramegoom

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 07:58:13 AM »
NiCad's are great if you want to keep the originality, as long as you keep an eye on their state of charge.

I've never seen a Li Ion leak.

I have a stack of Jennings boards that are beyond repair due to very old nicads give up their guts. Most of them, however, date back to early 1980, so age is a big factor.

Personally, I don't trust them for the long run...

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2016, 08:07:09 AM »
I personally don't care what battery I use as long as its safe. I do hate the mess a Ni-Cad makes when they die. Cost is my concern, and if I can find a suitable replacement for less I will use it.
And remember...

Offline ramegoom

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2016, 08:21:46 AM »
Well, if you really want to go bargain-basement, use these rechargeable coin cells:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-pcs-LIR2032-Li-ion-3-6V-Rechargeable-Button-Coin-Cell-Battery-w-Tab-US-Stock-/361500374422?hash=item542b19f596:g:fO8AAOSwG-1W08QM

the 1/10th. of a volt rating difference is insignificant.

The E series boards have a layout for this size cell on the silk screening and foil pads, so Bally must've planned to use that design, but didn't. Probably because the rechargeable coin cells were insanely expensive in the early 80's and the standard Nicads were much more cost effective.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal