New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally 1088 $.05 Handle Trouble Shooting  (Read 619 times)

Offline DrewMcAvon

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • DrewMcAvon New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Bally 1088 $.05 Handle Trouble Shooting
« on: December 09, 2020, 10:47:20 AM »
I rescued a 1982 Bally 1088.  It is a three wheel, center line only nickel machine, it has two tower lights, one yellow and one red, three coin/nickel max. It worked for a few days, but I am now having issues.  The coin is accepted, but nothing is registering and I can't pull the handle.  All the lights work.  The Paid light is on and the first coin panel is lit on the top (as if I put in 1 coin).  When I put in another coin, nothing changes, but the coin goes into the hopper.  The tilt light is off and I reset using the button behind the hopper.  I checked the fuses, none are blown, but the second from right does not seem to lock into place.  This may be the issue, but wanted to check here first for other options.  I downloaded the Bally EM Troubleshooting guide and that points to perhaps dirty contacts in various places on the wheel or hopper.  I can't find an operations guide for this machine. Any suggestions are appreciated.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 01:08:03 PM by DrewMcAvon »

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Bally 1088 $.05 Handle Trouble Shooting
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 11:12:20 AM »
Sounds like it's accepting one coin but not any other coins.

What is the MAX bet ( in coins ) for this game?
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline DrewMcAvon

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 11:55:30 AM »
it is a 3 coin machine, but it will take more.  In fact I think i put in more than 3 by mistake and then this latest issue started.  not sure if related.

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 12:18:34 PM »
There's a few members on here that know a lot more than I about these old Bally's...I'm sure they will chime in and give you a hand!  :cool_thumb_up:
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline slcjeeper

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 28
  • slcjeeper New User barely matters.slcjeeper New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 08:15:35 PM »
Can you post a couple pictures of your machine? The 1088 is a “Buy A Pay” machine. With each added coin until 3, the feature light will advance. Sounds like your dash pot switch might not be setting right. It’s located just above the rear white piston tube on the right side of the reel mechanism. Inside that tube is a plunger that the “U” link attaches to. Often the inside piston seal gets gummed up and gooey and prevents the link to travel back far enough to engage with the dash pot switch. That switch will prevent the handle from unlocking. The same thing happens  if you pull the handle forward slightly and insert a coin, the coin will get returned to you. It’s only when the handle returns fully that a coin will be accepted. Share a picture of the piston tube if you can and let us know how it moves.
Bally 742A-240, 742A-107B, 785-ZP, 809-B, 831-R, 873-K, 1113, 1239-E, 1256-E, V2236-10, V2096-47, S5000+, V5000+, S5500, S6000, IGT PE, Flip-It, Jennings 400, WMS BB1 Goldfish

Offline DrewMcAvon

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 09:25:58 PM »
Attached are some pictures.  The last one is the solenoid on the right side.  To get the handle to move I have to manually flip this.  But it only works once.  I am not sure the solenoid is faulty.  I want to replace the fuse holder that is second to right as it does not turn completely.  I don’t have a schematics, so don’t know if that fuse has anything to do with the solenoid.  I cleaned the solenoid on the left side of the wheel and the one pictured.  There was some gunk, but not much.  I found the ground wire was detected from the frame at the back of machine where the power cord comes in.  I fixed that as well.  I will get a new fuse holder tomorrow and replace to see what that does.  If same issue, I will figure out how to test the solenoid or just replace. Thanks for looking.

Offline slcjeeper

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 09:49:06 PM »
Don’t get too far ahead, were you able to very the functionality of the piston tube and dash pot switch?
 The coil will most likely not be an issue.
Bally 742A-240, 742A-107B, 785-ZP, 809-B, 831-R, 873-K, 1113, 1239-E, 1256-E, V2236-10, V2096-47, S5000+, V5000+, S5500, S6000, IGT PE, Flip-It, Jennings 400, WMS BB1 Goldfish

Offline DrewMcAvon

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 04:19:32 AM »
I will take apart the tube and clean before doing anything else.  Thanks for advise. I have never done that, so any suggestions? 

Offline slcjeeper

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 06:28:03 AM »
If the piston seal is bad and gooey, let it soak in hot water with Dawn kitchen soap for about 30 mins. It will fall right off. For home play the seal isn't needed. It's there to absorb the shock from players slamming the handle forward.

Offline DrewMcAvon

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2020, 07:26:22 AM »
I cleaned the tube and replaced.  The handle still does not pull unless I manually reach in and flip the plate up to the Solenoid on the right side near the handle.  When I pull the handle and win, it dispenses coins but the bell does not stop ringing. The rotator in the hopper stops, but the bell does not.  I have to manually flip the same solenoid to get it to stop.  I am going to replace the fuse holder that I mentioned where the cap comes off.  I think the fuse is still pushed down and turned, but I am not sure.  I think I am dealing with multiple issues, so eliminating variables is my first approach.  How can I test the solenoid?  I have a multimeter.  thanks.

Update: I don't think it is the fuse holder since upon further inspection, the white wire from power cord is attached to the fuse in question.  If it was bad, I would not be getting any power to the machine, which is not the case. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 07:41:50 AM by DrewMcAvon »

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal