New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally 1090-30  (Read 886 times)

Offline hoekma

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • hoekma New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Bally 1090-30
« on: August 16, 2020, 07:29:16 PM »
Hi Everyone!   :wave:

Last week I saw a post on Nextdoor.com for a $100 Bally slot machine.  Needless to say, I made an impulse buy and now join the ranks of people who have brought these gems back to life. After several days of starting to learn  how it works, I was able to bring it from a point where the wheels would not spin to where they now lock open, and wheels 1 and 2 release in sequence.  Wheel 3 is a bit hit or miss whether it locks.  Sometimes it locks in when #2 locks in, sometimes it locks in sequence, and sometimes it never locks at all.  So my first question is, from other pictures I've seen, do the slotted arms that come down with the clock look like they're configured correctly?  Other pics look like #1 starts in the top hole, #2 in the 2nd hole and #3 in the third hole. Not sure if that is different for this particular model, but this is the way it was when I picked it up.  It seems if they were up one hole the third one might make a more positive release.  Right now the amount it pushes down is barely enough to release the pawl latch.  However, if I manually push it down a bit more, it feels like the clock rod spins a little more and it releases. So maybe the clock drive isn't unwinding enough? 

« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 10:12:59 AM by wolftalk »

Offline hoekma

• NLG
Re: Bally 1090-30
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 07:43:56 PM »
Heres the machine

Offline hoekma

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 07:44:31 PM »
"born on date"

Offline hoekma

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 07:46:23 PM »
Tag on the inside

Offline hoekma

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 07:49:25 PM »
and finally the picture of the slot holes that the clock arms are set on to release the stops.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 10:29:33 PM »

good job figuring out how it works.  The hole usage in the timer links is right. 

in pic below, the green arrows point to the successively smaller gaps between an idler and associated crank (purple arrow is crank).  You can't see the idler for reel 3 due to the variator spring, but it shouldn't be touching the crank. 

you should not be able to push the crank towards the back of the mech once the bits come to rest ... the timer lever to the left of the 1st reel crank should be resting against the edge of the rectangular opening in the unit frame above the clock and stopping the shaft rotation.

sounds like your diagnosis of the clock interaction with the shaft is right ... something is causing the shaft to not rotate fully and the crank is holding the reel 3 timer link forward.  Cruddy clock, way out of adjust switches holding the clock timer link back, worn roll pin allowing slop in the shaft connection ...

got pictures of the clock and area above it?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 06:42:03 AM by wolftalk »

Offline hoekma

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 08:39:44 PM »
You bet,  film is cheap these days!

I also took this home video of the behavior I'm seeing:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB5P-07q9_U

Probably should have been done on super-8 to be period appropriate  :Tongue_Out:

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 09:25:14 PM »
I ran the video thru a sepia filter for the old time feel ...

at the beginning of the vid where you're hold the fan, it looks like there's a gap between the reel 2 idler and the crank.  There shouldn't be ... the crank should be what's holding the idler back if the fan hasn't starting spinning since the kickoff.

it looks like your reel 2 idler is stuck to the shaft (the idlers are what your original red arrows are pointing at - the piece with the peg that goes into the link holes).  You're kinda bottoming out the #2 timer link and stopping the shaft from rotating as far as it needs to.

you should be able to easily rotate the idlers with your finger and draw the timer links back after the spin is over.  If you can't, the shaft is gunked up and needs cleaning.

my data for the 1090 only goes to model 19.  If you have the following info, I can see if what you have is close to one of those machines (or do you have the paperwork?)

- P-684-xxx numbers stamped into the slotted reel index discs
- m-645-xxx number on the payout counter disc
- any numbers on the reel wiper boards ... ideally of the form w-1041-xxx, but sometime there's just the xxx or nothing
- if really got spare time, the symbols on the reel tapes in order from the top, including blanks.  The top is where the tape overlap is.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 07:34:24 AM by wolftalk »

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 07:33:45 PM »
A good cleaning of the kick/index mechanism will do wonders.
All shafts, bushings and pivot arms should move freely.

Offline hoekma

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 09:51:56 PM »
Guys --   :thank_you: 

A little WD40 on the stuck piece of #2 to get it moving independently from the clock arm followed by a little 3-n-1 oil and it's working like a dream.  Got it to start a payout and now that's jammed by a couple of quarters that made it past the little arm that is supposed to kick it out of the front of the machine, but I think I'm cookin' with gas now.   Just need to find the right coin tray for the front since it doesn't have one and a cabinet to get it up to stool height.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal