New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally mustang 903-D BM-55 Rebuild the 861 hopper to a 903d hopper  (Read 4442 times)

Offline SPN

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • SPN New User barely matters.SPN New User barely matters.
  • NLG
Hi

I just bought this machine and I have just started the restoration and it looks like the hopper is not the right one for this machine or there is some other issues with the hopper/machine.. When I insert the hopper the 5amp fuse goes and it makes a flash and burn mark on the 100 coin Wiper Assembly

I guess I need to start somewhere and wonder how I can see if it is the right hopper payout unit or what’s wrong?

:thank_you:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 05:22:47 AM by SPN »

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Bally mustang 903-D BM-55 issues with the hopper
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 06:42:20 PM »
It appears high voltage is crossing over into the 100 / jackpot payout.
There could be a loose wire strand or metallic object shorting this particular circuit.

Examine the payout relay top left back of hopper.
Also any related jackpot relays.

Regarding the correct hopper, check the wiper boards for identification inscriptions.
Also the hopper chassis might have been marked with the model number.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 171
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 07:42:50 PM »
the 903A - 903D and 903F all used the same reel wiper wiring, payout counter disc (m-645-144 on it) and reel index discs (unless your reel 3 index disc has 684-91 stamped on it)

the 903-A docs are on https://bingo.cdyn.com/slots/

the reel tapes were different, but that's not really relevant to your issue.

Offline SPN

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 08:39:20 PM »

Here’s a picture of it and it says m 645 - 118

Offline SPN

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 08:41:23 PM »

Here’s the picture of the payout counter disc.. 645-118 so that can maybe be the problem?

Thanks guys 😇😇

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 10:10:18 PM »
now ya gotta verify.

the -118 disc may work ... it just depends on whether the needed trace lengths are there for the payouts you need.  Got a picture of the entire front of the game showing the reel strips and payouts?

you also would need to compare the entire wiring of the hopper unit to what the schematic (and the plug chart on the schematic) says.

if someone just stuffed a random hopper into the game that had the right size beau plug, you'd kinda expect some fireworks :-)

Offline SPN

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 01:33:39 AM »

Here's a picture of the machine :)

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 09:20:50 AM »
ok, the m-645-118 payout counter disc will work fine.  It doesn't have the ability to pay 40, but your game doesn't need it and maybe no mustang models did.

w-923-147 below is what my docs say should be in a mustang, and the second one is how a -118 disc would be wired, so you can verify those.

assuming your payout disc is wired correctly, pull the hopper, stick paper under the outboard wiper fingers,  and use an ohmeter to see if you have an almost zero ohm resistance between the 100 trace and wire 70 on the beau plug or any coil on the hopper.

if the 100 trace is ok, leave a probe on wire 70 and poke the outboard wiper fingers, 50 trace and 200 trace.

also, is where the white wire connected to the 100 trace outboard wiper finger bent and shorting to the metal carriage?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 02:58:59 PM by wolftalk »

Offline SPN

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 02:52:44 PM »

I got no respond either on the 100, 50 or the 200 hundred when I connect from 70 (total orange) but when I tried from 20 I got a respond as you can see from the pictures.

Offline SPN

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 02:53:34 PM »

Picture 2

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2021, 03:23:43 PM »
1] how many pins are on the hopper plug and the socket inside the cabinet?

2] do the wire colors on the hopper plug pins match the diagram below? (I always forget if the diagram is looking at the plug pins or the socket...there's numbers on the thing, but it's easier to match the pattern of unused pins).

if you stick a probe on the 20 trace and poke the wire 23 pin (pin 5, blue/yellow wire) with the other probe, you should get zero ohms.  Poke wire 70 pin and you should get infinite.

it sounds like your suspicion that it's the wrong hopper might be right ... but you can probably make that hopper work by rewiring the beau plug.

a sanity check is compare the wire colors on the plug and socket ... they should be the same at each pin position.  If they aren't, it's not necessarily safe to just rearrange the hopper plug to match.  It may work since bally often used the same colors in the same circuits on differnt games, but you should verify each wire. 

if nothing else, make sure the 120V wires are connected to the hopper motor and payout relay switches correctly.  You really don't want to short the 120V onto the 50V or 6V circuits.

Offline SPN

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2021, 11:29:49 PM »

Yes they look different if you compare the two pictures..

Offline SPN

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2021, 11:33:02 PM »

Here’s the other picture of the socket..

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2021, 12:40:16 AM »
yeah, that's not gonna work.

back to david's comment ... is there any writing on the hopper?  A lot of times black sharpie was used to write the model number on the hopper front.  If you have that, it'll make life easier working out if you have all the necessary pieces on the hopper so rewiring can make it work.

a 30 pin hopper plug was common on 809 models, but it could be anything.

are you familiar with the wire color codes?  e.g. black with red stripe would be 81 or 81-x.

it'd help if you can write down the wire codes or colors at each pin location on the hopper plug.    You can see the pin numbers on the plug housing.

your cabinet socket looks right comparing it to the plug chart posted previously, so without any more info on what model the hopper came from the next step after writing down all the wire colors is see if your hopper has colors that don't match any socket wires, and see where they go on the hopper.

if you're bored, you can rewire the hopper plug to match the socket/plug chart and then verify where the wires go ... gamble that it's going to work so it's not wasted effort.

Offline SPN

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2021, 03:54:10 AM »

Since the hopper was rusty and in general very bad condition I remade it with parts in pretty good condition and I just saw that the old front says 861 if that make any sense?

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2021, 10:10:02 AM »
861 I have no info on, so you're going to need to do one of:

1] move the wires on the hopper plug so they match the socket and hope it works.  You have a reasonable chance and as long as the solid green (40), white (50), and black (80) wires match, you won't be shorting the 120V onto anything else.

2] for each pin on the hopper currently, write down its color and where it's going, then compare to the 903-A schematic and see if the wire color is the same for that function.  e.g. the wire going to the 20 trace on the payout counter is blue/yellow (23);   the wires going to the payout relay coil are orange (70) and grey/yellow (93); etc.

I'd probably do both at the same time ... if the current wire on a pin is the right color, confirm where it goes.  If it's the wrong color, confirm where it goes and move it to the correct pin.

you probably need to move a wire or two on the payout counter to make the right wire colors connect to the right traces per the second diagram in post 7, so I'd check/fix the wiring on the payout counter traces first, then do the rest.

does that make sense?  To do it, you'll need to read the schematic and the color codes on the schematic.

Offline SPN

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2021, 02:04:26 PM »

I’m just done comparing my wiring with the 809b and it’s 99% the same. See picture and the Red Cross is blank on my beau plug

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2021, 04:24:10 PM »
ok, wiring shifted because the 903 has wire 10-2 connecting to a payout relay switch, and that switch doesn't exist on the 809B.   It's for the bell.

do you need help figuring out what to do or are you okay now?

Offline SPN

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2021, 09:42:02 PM »

I guess I need all the help I can get but I’m learning a lot thanks to you :)

So that means that I start with a blank and 13 (2) and 14 (3) and so on.. and is 36-1 and 36-2 the same or do I pass that one?

Do I need to change them all, like start move them over to a new beau plug (I got an extra beau plug if needed)

What about those that not exist like 10-2  45 38-1 

36-1 and 36-2 shal be on the same place or?

38-2 I can see is moved all the way down so I guess that one I move up like on the 903b ..

I will try to start re wiring tonight I guess even that I never done something like this before and I could never done this without you guys :)

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2021, 07:48:35 AM »
in this case, the instance number on the wire id (the -x part) doesn't matter.   You just need to match the color code because all the wires on the hopper plug are different colors.

what i'd do is fill in a table that looks like this:

903 plug
pin #id 903-A /
schem loc.
id 809-B /
schem loc.
function
110-2 / V19nonewire from payout relay to jackpot bell
213 / J3113 / 6Twire to 2 trace on payout disc

if you're not too familiar with the schematics, I can go thru that, but can't get to it until tomorrow.

do you have extra parts for the machines?  If there isn't a 809-B payout relay switch you can repurpose for the bell circuit, it's possible to add another switch if you have the blades, longer screws, and there's an available place to put in in the relay stacks (the blade lifter has a place to add a switch).

got pictures of your payout relay from a few angles?

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal