New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: SOLVED Sound Problem - Not the Usual Hum Problem, This One is Different  (Read 1872 times)

Offline DB26

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 35
  • DB26 Is working their way up.DB26 Is working their way up.DB26 Is working their way up.
  • NLG
Hello all,

I’ve been having this issue with my Super Spin Sizzling Sevens ever since I got it. Basically the machine will occasionally go berserk out of one of the speakers. I’ll explain what I mean.

You’ll play the machine for a spin and all of a sudden the right hand (usually the right) speaker will explode with a loud mess of garbled noise. Sounds like a mix of white noise, droning sounds, and digital puke. (This is the most common occurrence)  Other times it will play a sound too early. For example, its supposed to make a noise when each reel stops ON A SYMBOL. (Not referring to the solenoid) Sometimes it plays that sound before the reel is even stopped. (Usually just The 3rd reel)  Sometimes it won’t play the reel symbol stop sound effect AT ALL (Again, just the 3rd reel) And another variation is that it will play the same sound effect twice in rapid succession. You’ll hear the symbol stop sound begin, it will get cut off and you’ll hear it again.

Also, the duration of the berserk white noise will vary. Sometimes it will bug out for a split second. And sometimes it lasts for a whole bonus game (haywire for example) 

Just a few minutes ago, one of the speakers started to play random sound effects from the MML board as the machine was completing its spins. I heard the usual music and sounds effects with what sounded like a hint of the ticket chashout sound in the background. It played that as well as a random sound the machine doesn’t even utilize. (It must’ve pulled it out of the unused MML files)

I have tried to fix the problem using the advice from this thread:

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=23518.0

I replaced the 1 MFD ceramic caps on the MML board. I also have swapped MML boards AND the sound simm.  I have two boards and two simms and BOTH have this problem.

The board is a 504 rev A Varta battery gone and the other replaced.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 09:35:23 AM by DB26 »
-Robert

Offline Ash100

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 67
  • Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!
  • NLG
Re: Sound Problem - Not the Usual Hum Problem, This One is Different
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 07:13:38 PM »
Wow, that sounds like it could get quite annoying at times.

I'm guessing that you are using the correct SIMM for that game, and the extra SIMM is identical?

Have you tried the basic 0042 Sound SIMM just for kicks?

Based on the part swapping you mentioned, I'd like to think it is not the MML Board or SIMM.

My guess at this point would be the sound amplifier in the top box. If you've got one you can slave in, it's worth a shot.

Otherwise it could be bad circuitry on the MPU board itself. I'm not familiar with the sound circuits or components that route it to the amplifier, but maybe someone with that type of knowledge will chime in.

Thanks for the detailed description.

Curtis ash100
Eat 'till you're tired, Sleep 'till you're hungry

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 410
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 07:21:37 PM »
Can you post photos of the two SIMMs with the labels showing?

A member here may be able to help tell you if they are real or copied ones.

However, the machine shouldn't be spitting out random event sounds from the sound files in the cards.
I'm going to guess that the SB chip or SG chips have a problem with the programming in them - these trigger the events the MPU needs to grab a sound byte from the SIMM and shoot it to the amp board to play something ( it's the DJ!  :rotfl: ) on the speakers.

Not only that, there sounds like the MPU has a bottleneck of getting the audio signals to the topbox audio amp for an event in time or waayy late.
Check the pins on the bottom of the Multimedia lite board.

Also, is there a lot of corrosion on the MPU?
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline DB26

• DB26 Is working their way up.DB26 Is working their way up.DB26 Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 08:22:25 PM »

Wow, that sounds like it could get quite annoying at times. I'm guessing that you are using the correct SIMM for that game, and the extra SIMM is identical? Have you tried the basic 0042 Sound SIMM just for kicks? Based on the part swapping you mentioned, I'd like to think it is not the MML Board or SIMM.My guess at this point would be the sound amplifier in the top box. If you've got one you can slave in, it's worth a shot. Otherwise it could be bad circuitry on the MPU board itself. I'm not familiar with the sound circuits or components that route it to the amplifier, but maybe someone with that type of knowledge will chime in. Thanks for the detailed description. Curtis ash100

I have posted photos of the simms. As far as I know they are correct for the game. I have not tried the 0042. Thank you for the tips and possible solutions. I’ll add these to my todo list.

Can you post photos of the two SIMMs with the labels showing?

A member here may be able to help tell you if they are real or copied ones.

However, the machine shouldn't be spitting out random event sounds from the sound files in the cards.
I'm going to guess that the SB chip or SG chips have a problem with the programming in them - these trigger the events the MPU needs to grab a sound byte from the SIMM and shoot it to the amp board to play something ( it's the DJ!  :rotfl: ) on the speakers.

Not only that, there sounds like the MPU has a bottleneck of getting the audio signals to the topbox audio amp for an event in time or waayy late.
Check the pins on the bottom of the Multimedia lite board.

Also, is there a lot of corrosion on the MPU?

I will check the MPU pins over and report back. As far as corrosion goes, I haven’t seen any. But I’ll look again more closely when I check the pins.

Would it be worth a shot to replace the SB and SG chips with new ones? Currently installed are:

SB100715 and SG000172 1&2
-Robert

• Sr NLG Member
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 08:52:48 PM »
The corrosion eats the tiniest traces on the MPU circuit board....it will look darkened like black, greasy perhaps, but usually different shades of blue-ish coloring around the legs of small IC chips.

When that happens, the game starts acting erratic.Weird things start happening or begin to fail due to the "bottlenecks" of traces eaten away and now even smaller!!
Imagine trying to feed data thru a half-eaten wire? The data "spits" thru too late usually if at all.

That's like trying to stick a 10lb sausage into a 5lb tube.  :rotfl:
Here's a picture of one of my bad MPU's with corrosion damage from a leaking green Varta battery.
I paid like $80 bucks for THAT MPU board at one time...showed this picture to the vendor with the serial number of it in another picture....he gave me a new one which I still have today! :)

Click on  photo to enlarge if you want.....>>>

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Ken

• Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 142
  • Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 08:59:52 PM »
Simms are originals.

Offline DB26

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 12:28:01 PM »
Okay, a few updates (Happy Thanksgiving Everyone)

First of all. It appears my board is a 504 Rev. A. All this time I thought it was a B, but I was wrong. Does this change anything?

Second, I checked all the pins and for signs of corrosion and I can’t find any defects. The board looks clean and tidy.

Third, there are jumpers that have been added to the part of the board that controls the reels. Is that common? See attached photo:

And thank you Ken!
-Robert

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 01:01:42 PM »
The 504 REV A. or B MPU's were considered the best boards to get rid of the humming noise.

I believe IGT did some re-design to the way the audio traces were routed on the circuit board...I could be wrong.

Those little green wires you see in your photo was a modified repair jumper to triac reel chips.

I don't know why that was done but it shouldn't affect your sound problems and it looks like it was done well.

I wish you could of shown us more of the MPU board than just that little particular area though.

Maybe one of our members will spot something on the MPU concerning your audio problems.

Offline DB26

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 01:08:19 PM »
The 504 REV A. or B MPU's were considered the best boards to get rid of the humming noise.

IGT did some re-design to the way the audio traces were routed.

Those little green wires you see in your photo was a modified repair jumper to triac reel chips.

I don't know why that was done but it shouldn't affect your sound problems and it looks like it was done well.

I wish you could of shown us more of the MPU board than just that little particular area though.

Maybe one of our members will spot something on the MPU concerning your audio problems.

I’m sorry, here are more photos. I have uploaded them offsite due to size restrictions:

NOTE: Photos RESIZED AND ADDED by moderator. Offsite images WILL DISAPPEAR over time. I guarantee it. Then they become useless for other members that may have the same or similar issues in the future.

https://ibb.co/VBbtMVq

https://ibb.co/PGDTpMy

https://ibb.co/7R1HcQ7
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 06:32:11 PM by shortrackskater »
-Robert

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2020, 01:12:44 PM »
That's okay...all I do is re-size the larger side of  photo to 1000kb using MS Paint.
Hopefully someone will have a better idea to get your sound working better.

But wow! Your pictures are pretty clear on that website and your board really looks nicer than mine! haha

Whoever did the green wiring work knew what they were doing...I'm impressed with their work. :cool_thumb_up:
I'd have a few questions for him!  :yes:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 01:43:56 PM by Stayouttadabunker »

Offline DB26

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 01:19:58 PM »
That's okay...all I do is re-size the larger side of  photo to 1000kb using MS Paint.
Hopefully someone will have a better idea to get your sound working better.

Ah, I do most of my posting from my phone. The phone will resize, but it will rarely be under 1000kb. I should start using my actual computer again. Good tip on MSpaint.

Yes, hopefully someone has a solution. If all else fails, I’ll probably upgrade to an enhanced board.
-Robert

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 01:37:57 PM »
For now you can try to single out if one of the speaker wires are bad too.
There are 3 pairs coming out of the audio amp board in the topbox.
Two pairs for the topbox ear speakers and one pair that runs down to the coin tray speaker.

Unplug two of them and listen if you get bad sound listening to one speaker at a time....check all three speakers one at a time doing it like this.
At least you can rule out the speakers and the wiring to them if you perform this check.

Offline DB26

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 05:15:32 PM »
For now you can try to single out if one of the speaker wires are bad too.
There are 3 pairs coming out of the audio amp board in the topbox.
Two pairs for the topbox ear speakers and one pair that runs down to the coin tray speaker.

Unplug two of them and listen if you get bad sound listening to one speaker at a time....check all three speakers one at a time doing it like this.
At least you can rule out the speakers and the wiring to them if you perform this check.

Good idea!
-Robert

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 05:24:30 PM »
I'm not going to say checking the green/white speaker wires is going to fix your problem but you might get lucky.
If you have some sort of De-Oxit spray, it helps form better contact between the pins inside of the Molex housings too.
Oxidation of metal connections is always a problem with older machines.

What year was yours built?

Offline DB26

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2020, 06:14:12 PM »
I'm not going to say checking the green/white speaker wires is going to fix your problem but you might get lucky.
If you have some sort of De-Oxit spray, it helps form better contact between the pins inside of the Molex housings too.
Oxidation of metal connections is always a problem with older machines.

What year was yours built?

I know, but I’m glad I have a few avenues to travel. Keeps me busy. This fix isn’t driving me insane at this point. I enjoy the hunt. Haha.

I do actually have a can of deoxit sitting on my shelf right now.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 06:48:03 PM by DB26 »
-Robert

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 267
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2020, 06:37:04 PM »

I resized and added the photos, using the generic photo view program on my MacBook. Most all regular computers (remember those things?) have basic programs that easily can change size.  :yes:

Offline DB26

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2020, 06:45:22 PM »

I resized and added the photos, using the generic photo view program on my MacBook. Most all regular computers (remember those things?) have basic programs that easily can change size.  :yes:

Thank you for doing that!
-Robert

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2020, 07:02:28 PM »

Glad he did, now I see what your problem is.  You've got a old SB chip that has known bugs and are using old SG's too.  You should be using SB101122 with SG000399.  Bet ya a six pack that fixes your problem. :chug:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 07:45:07 PM by Tilt »

Offline DB26

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2020, 07:10:55 PM »

Glad he did, now I see what your problem is.  You've got a old SB chip that has known bugs and are using old SG's too.  You should be using SB102122 with SG000399.  Bet ya a six pack that fixes your problem. :chug:

Well that just made My Thanksgiving a little more thankful! I guess I’ll be purchasing those new chips and trying them out. Thank you so much for your help!

-Robert

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2020, 07:48:18 PM »

Glad he did, now I see what your problem is.  You've got a old SB chip that has known bugs and are using old SG's too.  You should be using SB102122 with SG000399.  Bet ya a six pack that fixes your problem. :chug:

Well that just made My Thanksgiving a little more thankful! I guess I’ll be purchasing those new chips and trying them out. Thank you so much for your help!
Glad to help, and I made a typo in my post, it's SB101122 and SG000399 that you need.  Not 102122.   I modified my post to correct it.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal