New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: No Sound on Bally E2278  (Read 616 times)

Offline MartynH

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • MartynH New User has no influence.
  • NLG
No Sound on Bally E2278
« on: January 28, 2021, 04:45:30 PM »
I have an E series model 2278, 5-cent 3-reel slot that I've gotten to work and everything seems to be okay except it makes no sound at all, when opening door, spinning reels, or on payouts.  It has the sound board (AS2518-130), and that appears to be working correctly with the proper test point voltages and it makes a nice sequence of sounds when the test button is pushed - but it makes sounds ONLY if either the main reset button by the hopper is depressed at the same time, or the ribbon cable that connects the sound board to a small buffer board located on the I/O board is unplugged.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this would be greatly appreciated!  A schematic for the I/O board (AS-2980-5600) or the small buffer board (M645-640) would be really handy.  I have a multimeter and an oscilloscope but I don't have much idea what I'm looking for here.

Offline GOS

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 84
  • GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
Re: No Sound on Bally E2278
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 05:02:12 PM »
did the sound work at some point?  you may not have the correct P1 eprom.  you checked the ribbon cable from the IO daughter board to the sound board - no bent pins?  try reversing one end of the ribbon cable sometimes not installed correctly.

Offline MartynH

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 05:41:17 PM »
Thanks for the help.  I don’t know the history of this machine. A friends father used to own it.  When the friends father passed away, I was given the machine for free.  It had some minor issues with cables that had come loose and a hopper issue which I fixed.  The machine seems to operate properly now and all of the 8  built-in tests seem to indicate normal operation.  Only the sound not working is left to diagnose and fix.
I could try reversing the plug into the socket at one end but it does seem to be right, based on one wire with a red strip lining up with the pin 1 marking on the silk screen. 

Offline MartynH

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 07:30:58 AM »
Can anyone point me where to look for schematics / circuit diagrams for the bally E2000 series?
Specifically these:
A schematic for the I/O board (AS-2980-5600) and the small buffer board that interfaces the I/O to the sound board (M645-640).

UPDATE:  I found schematics available from:   www.coinslots.com  And purchased the package with schematics and manuals.  Off to start troubleshooting now....
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 08:14:38 AM by MartynH »

Offline MartynH

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 01:20:17 PM »
No SOUND !!

Hi experts!!  I'm afraid I still need some help on my Bally E2278 machine.  I have all of the schematics I need but I'm still having trouble tracking down what the issue is.  Here is what I have found and done so far:

Checked the Sound Board AS2518-130 - It all looks good, correct test voltages, etc.  I did have to plug the speaker back in but that didn't fix the lack of sound.  When I depress the TEST button nothing happens, no sound at all, unless I do one of these actions:

a) Unplug the ribbon cable connecting the sound board to the I/O buffer board, then press the test button on the sound board.
  or
b) I depress the main Test button by the Hopper at the same time as the test button on the sound board.
  or
c) I unplug the ribbon cable connecting the I/O board (AS-2980-5600) to the MPU board (AS-2978-7), tand then press the test button on the sound board.  MPU has a new battery installed.

When one of these are done, the sound test produces a series of different "Atari Like" noises and keeps on going until i either reconnect the ribbon cable, or turn off the machine.

I suspect its something simple, but since I acquired the machine from a friend (it belonged  to his father) and he hadn't used it in years, he doesn't know if the sound actually worked before.
All ribbon cables appear to be fine and I have checked that they are in the correct orientation.  Every other aspect of the machine works expected (lights, reels, payout, etc.).

Any ideas from anyone on what to check next would be very welcome.

Offline GOS

• GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 02:36:09 PM »
did you reverse one end of ribbon cable as mentioned earlier?  is there a wire harness attached to the daughter board?   what is the p1 eprom game?

Offline MartynH

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 07:58:12 PM »
I’ve tried reversing the plug at one end of the ribbon cable but this did not fix the problem.  Also checked that all pins are intact, straight and clean.  There is a two wire cable also connected to the small daughter bd.  It has +4.8 V and ground on it as measured with a meter.

The P1 EPROM is shown in the attached photo. P1 is the second from the bottom.

Offline GOS

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 08:48:11 PM »
i no longer have the documentation for the programs - gave them away when i retired - if someone has info the clue is ES for options on the P1 - indicates sound - I doubt there is an issue with P1 - seems the eproms are all original and if sound worked at some time - then there is something else amiss.  Covered all the areas I would have checked

Offline MartynH

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 07:38:10 AM »
Thanks for your help.  I’ll keep digging.  I did notice what appears to be a jumper that may have been added (or moved) at some point.  It’s a wire between S3 and S4 on the board just to the left of the personality EPROM’s (P1 and P2).  Not sure what that’s all about.  Maybe it’s normal?

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal