New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Help with a Bally E-1000 Reel Reader partially working  (Read 6070 times)

Offline danatlvc

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 52
  • danatlvc Is on the verge of being accepted.danatlvc Is on the verge of being accepted.danatlvc Is on the verge of being accepted.danatlvc Is on the verge of being accepted.danatlvc Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
Help with a Bally E-1000 Reel Reader partially working
« on: December 18, 2015, 06:01:45 PM »
Howdy All,
I have a reel reader on a 3 reel machine in the 3rd position that lights up as it should when coined it. After the first & second reels stop all of the reader lights go out & it tilts. About one in maybe 10 times the lights stay on for the 3rd & it will lock up. I moved this reader to position 1 & 2 & it does the same thing, so it's the reader. When I do test 5 it reads the reel. Also the traces all look good. Could the brown resistor on the reel reader pictured possiby be causing this? It looks to have been replaced before by the look of the solder joints. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 01:52:42 PM by danatlvc »

Offline dhellis

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • dhellis New User has no influence.
Re: Help with a Bally E-1000 Reel Reader partially working
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 06:24:25 PM »
The 470 ohm resistor is used as a voltage drop and is needed because the supply voltage is 50 volts
and the 5 lamps are 5 volts, wired in series. The only way for the resistor to cause the problem is if
it were arcing internally. That resistor also gets pretty hot, it is rated at 2 watts and ohms law will show
that the circuit draws 1.6 watts. The bulbs are #680 and if one burns out they all go out.

I wrote a procedure for testing these boards without the need for a 50 volt supply and placed that
on another members website, it is located here.

http://www.coinslots.com/tips/bally-e-series/

One thing that is mentioned in the article is to make sure that the lamps and the photo transistors
are clean. I use a Q-Tip soaked in alcohol, press hard in the small hole for the photo transistors and
twist the Q-Tip and then just swap the lamps.

I mention this because you say that the reel reader works sometimes and this would indicate that the
voltage on one of the collectors of one photo transistor is reduced enough to give a false reading.

Offline danatlvc

• danatlvc Is on the verge of being accepted.danatlvc Is on the verge of being accepted.danatlvc Is on the verge of being accepted.danatlvc Is on the verge of being accepted.danatlvc Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 06:43:02 PM »
All the lamps work & I fully cleaned the reader & lamps, so it's not a dirty lamp unfortunately. That's why I'm stumped because one it 10 or 12 spins it works? Strange? Thanks

Offline danatlvc

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 06:58:38 PM »
Update - One of the lamps is out. What type of lamp would I need & would you possibly know where I could purchase them? Thanks?

Offline dhellis

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 07:01:27 PM »
The bulbs, as mentioned in my previous post is a #680. finding just one will be
difficult because they come in a box of 10. The same eBay vendor (foxslots) also
has these for sale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BALLY-SLOT-MACHINE-Eseries-50V-READER-680-BULBS-/150497745353?hash=item230a5d59c9:m:menxIkdONJGbUAxAKI383fA

Offline danatlvc

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 07:18:28 PM »
Thanks so much for all your help on this machine  :hail: I didn't take notice of the #680 mentioned in previos post & was searching 5 volt bulbs with no luck  :Scratch-Head: 

Offline dhellis

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 07:19:49 PM »
Not a problem, let us know how this turns out for you..

Offline danatlvc

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 01:58:17 PM »
I changed the bulb that was out & they all light up now with no change? The other 2 reel readers work as they should, but when it gets to this one nomatter it's position all 3 board bulbs go out with a machine tilt like before. Once in 12 or so spins it will complete a stop???

Offline dhellis

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 02:33:31 PM »
Have you tried swapping say, reel reader 1 with reel reader 3 and see if the error which
I presume to be a 43, changes to a 41?

If it does not change then I would have strong suspicions of the wiring harness for the
3rd reel reader. If it does change then look for breaks of the traces on the board near
the connectors as well as the the photo-transistors.

I don not own a machine, only the tester/simulator and my cards are all 5 volt using IR emitters
so can not see if the lights go out or not

Offline danatlvc

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 02:51:13 PM »
It does the same thing no matter in position 1 2 or 3, so it's in the board for sure, not the wire harness or plug etc. The traces all look good & why I'm puzzled. It stange though that once in a blue moon it will stay lit when it is it's turn & complete the stop. When it does finally complete it's stop tilting due to the door is open it takes many times to Reset & usually I have to go back & forth with the Test button to get it to Reset which is odd?

Offline Neonkiss

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 27
  • Neonkiss New User barely matters.Neonkiss New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 06:47:57 AM »
Next to check would be the reel reader board. It's located inside the front of the reel assembly. Most likely the board is bad if swapping the readers results in the same tilt code.

Offline danatlvc

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 08:48:42 AM »
I tried that with the same results. Thanks

Offline ramegoom

• Reputation Power: 22
  • ramegoom New User barely matters.ramegoom New User barely matters.
  • NLG
    • Caspers Electronics, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2015, 04:20:57 AM »
It's possible that the bad reel is moving too slowly or not consistently. If it doesn't rotate at the same speed as the others, the CPU will sense it and set a tilt code. Also, if the stop solenoid is sluggish and the reel doesn't stop where it's expected to stop, a tilt will result.

Remember, where the symbols actually stop is pre-determined by the programming, BEFORE they stop, when the initial pull takes place.

Try swapping the stop solenoids with another one from another reel. Or, take a good look at how they operate and observe if there is any sluggish operation. Clean and oil all moving parts, but be sure the solenoid plunger is dry and clean.

Offline GOS

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 84
  • GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2015, 04:31:49 AM »
this is an E-series - not a stepper slot - reels stop is mechanical

Offline danatlvc

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2015, 07:17:18 AM »
This reader does the same thing weater installed in reel position 1,2 or 3 so it's in the reader itself somewhere. All traces look good, all 5 lamps are working? Could it possibly be one of the phototrasmitters? I visually checked the 5 of them & they all look good?

Offline GOS

• GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2015, 07:22:02 AM »
Using a multimeter on continuity test and a flash light - seperate the board - hold the section with the photo trans over a lit flashlight and test both legs of each phototrans - if you get 0000 the trans is shorted.

Offline Amechanic

• Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2015, 04:11:14 PM »
The phototransistor will not look bad, they are not like a fuse. The only way to tell if one is bad is to test as GOS said or if you had a tester for one built by dehills here. I own one and they work great for testing and repairing bad reel readers, both 5V & 50V ones. Takes any guess work out of that repair.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline GOS

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2015, 04:13:23 PM »
this test works for the 50v - and will sometimes work on the 5v as well!   

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal