New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Game King 3902 Won't boot in cabinet  (Read 384 times)

Offline scottf11961

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • scottf11961 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Game King 3902 Won't boot in cabinet
« on: March 31, 2024, 08:19:02 AM »
Hi everyone.  Need some advice here. Picked up a Game King, and can't get it going. I took out the mpu, cleaned it up a bit..looked for burn marks, replaced the battery, and threw key 22 in it. It booted up to the clear screen, said yes to the 3 ..rebooted...and powered down. I put the base back in, and it goes to the rainbow confetti screen. I do have a known working lobster Larry cabinet, and tried the game king board there, and it worked fine. I put the board back in the original cabinet, and it goes right to the rainbow screen.  So, I figure I don't have an mpu or software issue since it did work in another cabinet.  Then whats my issue?  One thing I did notice was that my "insert tickets" lights on ON, ( right side of monitor ). Game king is not. If I remember correctly, I had that issue with my lobster Larry due to a bad I/O, But I don't think that would be a boot problem

Any advice is appreciated!

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: Game King 3902 Won't boot in cabinet
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2024, 03:19:35 PM »
My first thought is the power supply.  Check the output voltages or just swap the supplies and see what you get.

Offline scottf11961

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 08:43:41 AM »
You called it. .and mad at myself for not knowing that. I had some S2000 power supplies laying around, and booted up first try. Wish I had more games for it. Mostly all poker.
As always,  thank you again!

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 02:29:26 PM »
I've seen that one a time or two and now you'll remember it too  :yes:.  Glad you got it working  :applause:

Offline scottf11961

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2024, 03:06:05 PM »
I have one last question for you. What would cause the red color on the cards to fade away? It was working with no issues, then I went out for an hour and purposely left it on, when I came back, all the red cards were no longer red. I'll add a before and after picture,  and a link to a video for better understanding.  I pulled out the mpu and checked the pins, and all looked good there

https://youtu.be/IoN-CIxfcjc?si=4k4xvVv9yXCCjI5A

Offline scottf11961

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2024, 03:08:53 PM »
More pics

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2024, 03:37:42 PM »
CGF card.  You can try pulling it out and cleaning the contacts.  That sometimes helps, but a lot of times it's just bad. 

Offline sftechgeek

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • sftechgeek New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2024, 04:53:32 PM »
What is the definition of CGF is it a programmable simm? What’s its function and where is that located?

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2024, 05:20:22 PM »
You having a similar problem?

Offline sftechgeek

• Reputation Power: 4
  • sftechgeek New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2024, 07:20:44 PM »
Nope, not at all. Just interested to know the components and where they reside. I have an enhanced 044 board but don’t know all the internal parts. But no issue here.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2024, 04:28:10 AM »
Oh ok.  You can read about the 044 components here:

https://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=880.0

The CGF card I was referring to in the post here is a SIMM card used on the 3902 MPU for the color graphics files.  It's programmable with a special programmer and is located under the multimedia lite 2 (MML2) sound board.

Offline scottf11961

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2024, 05:59:09 AM »
So, I removed the card, cleaned the contacts, and put it back in. No change.  I have a spare 3902, and transferred everything on to it. All the color came back to normal. ...BUT the spare board won't let me set up TITO.  I've set up tito dozens of times, and I know I'm doing it right. Since it's coinless and doesn't have a bill validator..I need the tito. I put the original board back in, set up tito with no issues, and have no red color on the red poker cards. All other red works everywhere else. I'm stumped by this.

Offline scottf11961

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2024, 07:28:29 AM »
Just to update..I'm convinced the board was bad. Not only did I lose all the red color in the cards, after a few minutes I lost printer communication and touch screen communication.  My lobster Larry has the same board and tito works good. I took the board out of there and set it up in the game king with the tito, and it's working perfectly.  Good color and tito is working. The board that I can't get tito to work on ..I put in lobster Larry since Larry has a good mei in it. The original game king board is now in my large growing dead board stack.

:thank_you:

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2024, 09:28:31 AM »
There's white labels with the dates printed on them...how old are they?  :mummy:
Are you killing them or buying machines with old dead MPU's?
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline scottf11961

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2024, 01:14:56 PM »
I go to auctions or private sales and buy the dead machines that no one wants. Some of them have open door errors or netplex errors (usually s2000). Depending on machine, I usually pay $100-200. I get new boards (or refurbished) from Jim, and I have a perfectly working machine. I don't do it for profit.  It's a hobby. I have over 30 machines in my gameroom. I sell only if I need room for another that I like better then my least favorite.  My new one stays in the garage until my least favorite sells.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2024, 03:45:15 PM »
Usually when you see distorted graphics and colors it's a CGF card, but not always as you've found out. 

The other one sounds like it has a comm issue. 

Luckily for you 3902 boards are plentiful and cheap, at least for now.

Offline Tbone_josh

• Reputation Power: 2
  • Tbone_josh New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2024, 09:52:59 PM »
The door and glass look like there in great shape.  Nice machine! 
IGT Game King 17"
IGT S2000 5 Reel
IGT AVP G20
Sigma UV1700
Sigma SG-50

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal