New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: SRAM error.  (Read 3207 times)

Offline Radmaggot

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Radmaggot New User has no influence.
  • NLG
SRAM error.
« on: April 26, 2018, 04:47:57 AM »
Hi. I am getting SRAM error on boot. Which is causing a “startup tests failed. Machine locked” and halting boot. From what I can tell the board is an MKV S2. I’ve pulled the Board out and looks ok but don’t know what’s what. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline MrKarter77

• MrKarter77 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: SRAM error.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 02:51:52 PM »
Post some pics of your setup and the error, will help to identify the machine and then fault find.

I think you can do a ram clear with a set chip

Offline Radmaggot

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 03:19:41 PM »
Thank you that would be great. Ive attached some pics hope they help.

Offline MrKarter77

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 03:24:34 PM »
http://slot-tech.com/interesting_stuff/aristocrat/MVPOperatingManual.pdf i have that which i bi believe you use a set chip to go to the clear ram function.

Could also be possible by removing the batteries but id wait for someone with some more knowledge to chime in.

Offline Radmaggot

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 03:28:52 PM »
Great! thanks for that. I will look through and give it a try. I also notice a lot of corrosion around the lithium batteries but doesnt seem to be effecting it at this stage. Can these be replaced easily?

Offline MrKarter77

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 03:30:20 PM »
That could be your issue, id swap them out asap.

Offline Radmaggot

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 03:34:14 PM »
OK thanks ill get on to that first and see if it makes a difference. Appreciate the help.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 03:59:21 PM »
Great! thanks for that. I will look through and give it a try. I also notice a lot of corrosion around the lithium batteries but doesnt seem to be effecting it at this stage. Can these be replaced easily?

Looks like maybe the batteries are install in battery holders, with plastic ties to hold them in place. So replacement is easy. Just cut the plastic ties, remove batteries and replace. I'd clean up that battery leakage or whatever it is, that stuff can eventually eat thru the board traces/copper circuit pathways.

If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Radmaggot

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 04:42:19 PM »
Thanks. Hoping Jaycar has the batteries and its just a matter of a quick clean and swap.

Offline Radmaggot

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 05:02:20 AM »
OK replaced the batteries and cleaned up all the connectors. Unfortunately I am still getting the SRAM error :( I cant see a way to reset this error so if anyone has any further information id really appreciate it.

*EDIT.
OK i think i may have found the problem. There looks to be a component blown at the end of one of what i believe to be the SRAM chips. Would anyone know if this can be fixed or this component replaced? See pic.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 06:24:35 AM by Radmaggot »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 07:58:45 AM »
Hard to see it clearly but it resembles a surface-mount capacitor. You can see similar parts nearby, in the same position next to the other ic's. Maybe you can read the markings on the nearby parts. But the board marking for a capacitor is typically "C" and a number, for this part the board marking (ref designator) is "CD38" so I'm not sure. You can see capacitors in your photo to the upper left area that have board markings with a "C74", "C14", etc and not "CD".

A lot of time an ic will have a small value bypass capacitor near it, to remove transients that might be on the power supply connection to the ic. Just part of a good design. Normally if the bypass capacitor is removed the equipment will still operate. But if the part is damaged it might be causing a problem by being shorted, you could try to remove the remaining parts and see if that gets rid of the SRAM error. Someone with soldering skills can help with that.

I don't know if that's what this broken part is, I'm not familiar with your memory board. Does it look broken, or does it look burned, like it shorted or got hot? If the board has a part number perhaps you can get one from a place that sells Aristocrat parts?
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Radmaggot

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 05:09:12 PM »
Thansks rokgpsman. Going to take it in to a local circuit board guy today and see what he can do. My soldering skills aren’t too bad but don’t mind paying if someone can do it better than me.

Offline Heihachi_73

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Heihachi_73 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 11:51:11 PM »
CD38 is a capacitor, it's probably prefixed "CD" on the board due to being tied to the nearby chips, it's still numbered in the capacitor range (e.g. C35 is near the heat sink of the top middle mosfet/voltage regulator, C39 is just above the chip with the blown CD38 cap, and I can't find any other capacitor numbered in the 36/37/38 range). If you have a way of measuring capacitance, check the values of CD37 and CD36 to make sure you have the right replacement (note that an ESR meter like the ESR70 won't show capacitance below 1µF as it is designed specifically for electrolytic caps).

Going by the three batteries, is this a Queensland or Victorian machine? A NSW MK5 usually only has 1 battery. If the EPROMs aren't NSW versions (or non-USA overseas chips) they will most likely not be usable without having the external comms (QCOM or VLC) hooked up e.g. it will say GAME DISABLED on screen and not take coins or anything.

Offline dave2228

• Reputation Power: 3
  • dave2228 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 11:58:50 PM »
Hey mate I’ll be able to help u inbox me

Offline Radmaggot

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 03:24:44 AM »
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I don’t have an instrument to measure capacitance. It’s a QLD machine I believe, does his mean it’s useless? I thought because of the age it may. It have had those features to disable it. What other options do I have for it? How hard is it to do a MAME install?

Offline Radmaggot

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 03:25:34 AM »
Hey mate I’ll be able to help u inbox me

Have pm’d you :)

Offline Heihachi_73

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Heihachi_73 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 01:56:00 PM »
You should be able to convert it to a NSW machine by adding a LAB comms board and swapping the EPROMs with NSW versions - AFAIK NSW games don't care about the extra batteries. Without a way to hook up or fake the comms a Queensland game will never run by itself. There used to be an ancient DOS (or Win9x?) program which emulated the QCOM protocol but it's probably impossible to find these days, and if it needed a serial or parallel port you would need an equally ancient PC to run it too.

Offline Radmaggot

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018, 10:20:16 PM »
Yeah thanks. I think ill try just get another board and replace the one thats in it or just put it back in storage.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal