New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: williams 40x jackpot stampede deluxe dot failure  (Read 3216 times)

Offline scottG

• Contributing NLG Member
  • New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • scottG New User has no influence.
  • NLG
williams 40x jackpot stampede deluxe dot failure
« on: April 14, 2018, 02:32:06 PM »
hi
first post here.just picked up a jackpot stampede deluxe machine locally.it needed a battery so i replaced it. first time you turn the machine on it comes up with a ronn 2 error.turn it off then turn it back on it goes through startup one bong , the reels spin and it says dot init then after 5 or 6 seconds it gives a small buzz and says dot fail.
the dotmation screen does initialize and says williams but never goes beyond that...i have an electronics background so the machine seems to have all the right voltages coming from the lower power supply and i def have 12volts on the upper power supply...
i have no access to game software so not sure if eeproms are an issue. any thought?

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: williams 40x jackpot stampede deluxe dot failure
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 03:45:16 PM »
Well, that's promising that the Dotmation screen lights up -- typically "dot fail" is from a dead power supply for the Dotmation display.

Are the correct software EPROMs installed on the board inside the Dotmation box?
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline scottG

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 04:15:34 PM »
im not sure because the game eeproms on the cpu are not labeled...
is there any other way to tell?
any place i can get a full set of roms?
the game came with a clear ram chip but I'm not sure of the denomination..
i was told this was specific to each rom?
i appreciate any help

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 04:25:13 PM »
The only "eeprom" in the machine is on the backplane board. All the software chips on the cpu board and inside the dot matrix assembly are "eproms".

With the machine powered on and the main door open look at the card cage just below the shelf that holds the reels. The upper board is the I/O board, on its front edge there is a group of 5 red LED's on the right side of the board and a single red LED on the left side. The single LED should be OFF, the group of 5 LED's should all 5 be ON. If they don't match this description then that's a fail and is usually caused by the lower power supply (the large gray box with the red power switch on the front, mounted on the left wall in lower part of machine, not far from the coin hopper).

If you suspect game software in the eproms on the cpu board they can be replaced or checked. When the machine is powered-up it will do a selftest, if the eproms are ok then the machine will give a single loud "bong" sound. If this happens, and the I/O board LED's are correct then that's a good sign. To check the eproms you'd have to install them into another working machine and see if they work, or you can check them with an eprom programmer to verify their checksums.

These machines are normally reliable other than the power supplies. The dot matrix enclosure (metal box) in the upper part of the machine contains 2 circuit boards. The board on the right side is the 12 volt power supply that operates the dot matrix controller board beside, and the dot matrix display. When you turn the machine on the dot matrix display should light up and show "Williams" and then it displays that it is checking the 2 eproms up there. If that happens then stuff up there is probably ok.

If you need a set of eproms you can pm me about that, but I'd check everything else first. Unless someone messed around with the eproms they are likely ok.

If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline scottG

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 04:36:30 PM »
Yes all the leds on the right are lit with the left led is off.
The top display does come on and display willians then counts the roms..
I don’t know where to go from here..
Not sure if the EPROMs are all the same or not..
Any other suggestions?

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 04:39:20 PM »
im not sure because the game eeproms on the cpu are not labeled...
is there any other way to tell?
any place i can get a full set of roms?
the game came with a clear ram chip but I'm not sure of the denomination..
i was told this was specific to each rom?
i appreciate any help

The CLEAR chip was made for the particular coin denomination of the machine, it is usually a 25 cent CLEAR chip but there are others. The "ronn 2" error refers to "rom 2", which is the DATA eprom at location XU2 or XU3 on the cpu board,  I forget which one it is. You can remove XU2 and XU3 and look them over, make sure they don't have any bent or broken legs on the chips. XU2 and XU3 are over on the side of the board in sockets, they contain the main game software. The 4 sockets in the center of the board are for the game sound eproms.

-EDIT- I checked the manual, the data eprom is XU3.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline scottG

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 04:42:07 PM »
I already have ..
Everything looks good
Any other suggestions?

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 04:44:01 PM »
.....Not sure if the EPROMs are all the same or not..

What do you mean by this??

Offline scottG

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 04:46:58 PM »
Like I said I bought this machine and I think someone may have
Monkeyed with it..
The EPROMs look like they were a copy and not sure if the ones in the cou match the ones in the display unit

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 04:56:48 PM »
well, that makes the eproms an unknown, but not necessarily bad. Like I said earlier you can verify an eprom if you have an eprom programmer ("burner"). Or you can buy a set of eproms for the machine. But these machines are older now, it's not unusual to see non-original eproms in them, lots of people "burn" their own eproms and install them. So the fact that the eproms don't have labels doesn't mean they are bad. But the "rom 2" error you are getting does point to that. But the machine getting thru the initial selftest says the eproms are ok.

The JP Stampede Deluxe machine uses 8 eproms total (5 on cpu board and 3 on the dot controller board located behind the dot matrix screen). Contact me by pm if you want to try a new set of eprom, or just try another XU2 and XU2. I'm not sure that is the problem but if the power supplies (upper and lower) are ok, if there is no battery leakage damage to the cpu board, there are no bent pins on the cpu board edge connectors, there is no water damage to the card cage boards and backplane board, there is no mice-chewed wiring harnesses, and various other things then replacing the eproms might be what is needed.

Did the previous owner give any information, like it was working one day and then died? Did he say if he or someone else tried to repair it? Any clues from the previous owner would help to diagnose the problem. I hesitate to just throw parts into a machine blindly.

Offline scottG

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 05:02:16 PM »
The women I got the machine from said it was just working which I know is false now
So I ha e nothing to go on.
I am interested in getting a set if you have one for sale

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 05:10:29 PM »

pm sent, check your NLG inbox.

Offline playklax01

• Reputation Power: 6
  • playklax01 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 08:01:07 AM »
Have you checked the serial connector going from the backplane to the top logic box?  That is the communication between the game and the dotmation screen.  If that cable is loose or disconnected, it would throw a Dot Fail message.

Offline scottG

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2018, 01:58:40 PM »
hi
i am still having issues with this machine.
i have replaced all of the rams in the machine just to be sure it wasn't programming.
i have checked continuity between the serial cable.checked all connections to dotmation board.
replaced upper power supply no difference.the dotmation screen does light up when it first comes on and says williams and counts roms.
all cables have been checked...
would anyone have a dotmation controller board for sale?
thats the only other thing i think it could be???
any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Online tollguy316

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • tollguy316 New User barely matters.tollguy316 New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2018, 02:57:33 PM »
I have one. Bill

Offline scottG

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2018, 03:09:16 PM »
how much?

Offline playklax01

• Reputation Power: 6
  • playklax01 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 04:58:30 PM »
hi
i am still having issues with this machine.
i have replaced all of the rams in the machine just to be sure it wasn't programming.
i have checked continuity between the serial cable.checked all connections to dotmation board.
replaced upper power supply no difference.the dotmation screen does light up when it first comes on and says williams and counts roms.
all cables have been checked...
would anyone have a dotmation controller board for sale?
thats the only other thing i think it could be???
any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Have you tried plugging the serial cable into the other port on the dotmation board?  There should be 2 ports, either one would work. 

Online tollguy316

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • tollguy316 New User barely matters.tollguy316 New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2018, 09:50:09 AM »
Trying to send you a message but your NLG inbox is full

Offline scottG

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2018, 09:54:00 AM »
Ok all set you can send

Offline cdbypd

• Reputation Power: 0
  • cdbypd New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2019, 04:00:12 PM »
Hello I am having a similar issue did you ever resolve this?

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal