New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Need advice changing to LED lighting  (Read 1083 times)

Offline dailey

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
Need advice changing to LED lighting
« on: December 30, 2019, 02:47:13 PM »

I want to switch my machine to LED lighting for the reel glass, top and belly glass, but I'm not sure which is the best bulb for each location.

I tried some LED bulbs from SuzoHapp  P/N 70-0533-00 (18" 24vdc 6w). Comes with lead wires and connector. Simply unplug power to the ballast and connect to bulb leads. This bulb seems to work best in the top box. The original fluorescent seemed too dim. The top box wasn't bright enough. This LED provides just the right amount of lighting and is evenly distributed. In the belly glass it seems the bulb is too directional with very uneven lighting. For the reel glass it is too bright. I need sunglasses to play the machine.

I would like to draw on other peoples experience. What is the best LED tube for the reel glass and what works best for the belly glass ?  Where can I find them ?  SuzoHapp doesn't list any other choices.

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Need advice changing to LED lighting
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 03:06:48 PM »
I don't know what LED lighting works best but I know one thing....if they're too bright, you'll fade out all the graphics to pink and purple like the junky glass kits they're trying to sell on ebay... :duh:

I just use regular "Cool" white fluorescent tubes.  :cool_thumb_up:

Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 184
  • qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 03:45:03 PM »
The LEDS don't fade strips to my knowledge but those fluorescent tubes will cool white or not.

The end caps come off on those LEDS just rotate them until you get the brightness you want. I find this a must do step for the reel lights especially.
Rich
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Offline dailey

• dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 03:49:14 PM »
My original intent was to change to LED for the reel glass only because the fluorescent light (regular cool white) makes the reel strips appear dull and yellowing. In regular ambient light they are like new. Bright and crisp with white whites.
Would a new fluorescent bulb make a difference ?

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 03:56:19 PM »
I would not use fluorescent bulbs especially on the reel glass they will fade the strips eventually.
I would still try turning the tubes till you get what looks best. If the strips are yellow there is not a lot you can do. You can try to gently clean them but some are not washable read the posts on cleaning strips. BE CAREFUL DO NOT RUIN YOUR STRIPS.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Offline erbs

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 76
  • erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 04:02:41 PM »
Yes florescent bulbs WILL fade the strips and glass in time. LED is the way to go.

Offline dailey

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 04:03:56 PM »
The strips are not yellow. They are like new but just appear yellow under this fluorescent light.  Do fluorescent bulbs change wavelength as they age ??

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 04:04:48 PM »
Okay...good to know guys...I must have indestructible strips then!  :rotfl:
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 04:06:50 PM »
What color are they under the LED lights?

Offline dailey

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 04:27:50 PM »

The reel strips colors and whites appear true under the LED light.

I'll follow the advice on rotating the tube. I discovered that if you firmly grip an end cap and apply torque, it rotates and clicks as it turns. These bulbs didn't come with any instructions. Who would have known ?

Offline erbs

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 76
  • erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 04:49:53 PM »
Be careful when twisting the bulbs. If they are like the ones I have the little prongs sticking out on the end can break very easy I found out.

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2019, 05:30:39 PM »
The end caps should just pull off and you can then easily reposition them.

Offline dailey

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2019, 07:39:27 PM »

I just learned something new. The quality of fluorescent light does change over time and turns yellowish. This happens because the phosphor coating on the inside of fluorescent tubes deteriorates with age. This explains why a couple of my machines seem to have yellowish reel strips (under this light) but my other machines with the same type fluorescent bulb look fine.

It looks like there are two options here if you are this critical like me. Replace the fluorescent tubes with new tubes or convert to LED.  I'm going with LED.

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2019, 07:45:17 PM »
Interesting.
Good choice on LEDs they run cooler, use less energy and don't fade colors as bad.

Offline dailey

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2019, 02:10:27 PM »

I installed the SuzoHapp LED light tubes in my Super Mag 7 top box, reel and belly glass. With some adjustments it came out pretty well and I'm satisfied. The reel strips look much better now with no yellowing. I think I'll do the same with my other machines.

The reel light which was much too bright improved greatly with a little rotation of the tube towards the glass. The belly light which was uneven with a hot spot in the bottom area became more even with some tube rotation aiming upwards. The hot spot is gone but the overall brightness of the belly glass is kind of high. Guess I can live with it, or possibly an inline PWM trimmer to tone it down ?

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2019, 07:39:46 PM »
You can put a piece of paper in front of the glass the dampen the light, or wrap it around the led tube.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline dailey

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2019, 07:51:02 PM »

Does anyone know anything about these small inline LED dimmers ?  I wonder if it would work on these LED tubes ? It would be easy to splice one in line. They sell for less than $3.00

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Low-profile-Inline-Controller-Dimmer-Switch-for-LED-Strip-Light-Bare-Wire-/163700315475?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 240
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2019, 08:59:16 PM »
Electrical tape on the led tube works great. Cover as many leds as you want/need.

Offline dailey

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2020, 04:20:18 PM »
I did some more tinkering with my LED lighting and here is an update.

I found some older style LED tubes on ebay and tried one out for the reel glass. The light output is way less than the Suzohapp 70-0533-00 bulb. This lower output seems just right for the reels. No fussing with rotating and aiming the bulb. No excessive glare. The bulb is clear though with no diffuser so it is a little spotty. Not a problem as far as I'm concerned. This is the older model bulb used on IGT S2000, P/N 91-1017-00.

For the top glass is the Happ 70-0533-00 bulb. Seems perfect so I didn't modify it. The belly glass was noticeably brighter than the top glass so I spliced in an inline LED dimmer and toned it down a bit. Note that these LED tubes are dimmable. I think either bulb will work fine for the reel glass but a dimmer will help to tame the brighter bulb.

Just out of curiosity I measured the temperature of the 70-0533 bulb operating at full brightness. It measured 129°F.  Dimmed down to the level I have it the temperature was only 88°F.

Attached is a comparison of the reel strips under each light. An old fluorescent bulb which has degraded compared to LED.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 04:56:42 PM by dailey »

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal