New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Double Diamond - Newbie Help - Error code 21  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Dalbok

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Dalbok New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Double Diamond - Newbie Help - Error code 21
« on: April 26, 2020, 06:24:02 PM »
Hello, I’m new to these forums and new to slot machines.  I purchased a working Double Diamond for mother to be able to play.   It was working when I first set it up save for the fact that it started showing an Error Code 21.  We could open / reclose the door to reset and clear the error.  Sometimes it would go for an hour and sometimes it would only go for a couple of games before getting a 21 error again.  I left and my mother played it for an hour before it got the 21 error code and opening / closing the door wouldn’t reset it (besides the fact that she wasn’t comfortable opening/closing the door). 

In any case, I had been reading up on error code 21 and the optics.   I spent several hours tonight figuring out how to get the comparator out (much easier than I expected, popping right out) and removing the optic board.  I used qtips & water to clean the optics, put everything back together and powered the machine back on and the 21 error came back on after a game or 2. 

Next I got into test mode and tested 13 (which I believe is the door optic) and that tested out fine.  I was thinking there may have been something with that since opening/closing the door seemed to resolve it. 

In any case, I ended up cycling up through all of the test codes using the JP reset key until is cycled back to the beginning.  I was about to test codes 10, 11 and 12 to test the coin optics and I don’t know exactly what I did but I powered the machine off and powered it back on and it wouldn’t come on all of the way. 

The reels didn’t spin, the insert coin light didn’t come on.  All backglass lights came on and the 25¢ light came on and a 0 appeared coins played area and the bottom candle light just blinks fast.  Putting coins in would just drop straight through.

I checked all of the wire connections that I had been messing with and they were all snug. 

Any ideas on what I could have done?

I’ve attached a picture for what it looks like although the 0 didn’t appear in the picture for coins played it is lit up. 

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 08:27:34 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline Dalbok

• NLG
Re: Double Diamond - Newbie Help
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 06:26:06 PM »
I forgot to mention that you can hear the bill validator cycle-up when it turns on, so I think they parts ok and I looked in the belly door and couldn’t find a switch in that door.

Offline Dalbok

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 06:33:33 PM »
And this machine may be an S+ vs an S2000.  I didn’t realize the difference before I just read a thread about the difference (s2000 having text errors vs S+ having codes).  If that’s the case, feel free to move this to the correct forum.

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 241
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 06:49:41 PM »
You may still be in test mode.  Open the door and press the white test button next to power switch until it cycles all the way thru, then close the door and wait for reels to spin.

Offline Dalbok

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 06:55:14 PM »
You may still be in test mode.  Open the door and press the white test button next to power switch until it cycles all the way thru, then close the door and wait for reels to spin.

Thanks sixcardmark.  I did try pressing the test button again but it didn’t appear to do anything.  No test codes would come up in the display any longer. 

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 11:49:01 PM »
You have an IGT S+ upright slot machine.

Your current issue is likely the power connection between the power supply and the fixed motherboard in the bottom of the machine. Turn your machine's power off and then take a look at this thread for information: http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=14163.0
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline Dalbok

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 04:40:37 AM »

Thanks knagl.  I will head back over there this week and take a look.  If there’s anything else you all think I’d should look for while I’m there, I’ll try that too.   I found another post suggest the door optics may get misaligned and the machine doesn’t think the door is closed so I’ll look at that as well. 

Your current issue is likely the power connection between the power supply and the fixed motherboard in the bottom of the machine. Turn your machine's power off and then take a look at this thread for information: http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=14163.0

Offline Dalbok

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 07:39:26 AM »

Ok, I got over there this morning and took a look at that connection and it didn’t look burnt.  I took some pictures of the MPU as well.   There was a wire back that there that wasn’t connected to anything but I didn’t see a place for it to connect (so I’m guessing it was already that way).  I had never removed the hopper before this.

I did find a loose wire to the speaker on the coin tray that I reconnected.  Not sure if that’s the only speaker but sound was working fine and I had never removed the coin tray before either so I was surprised to see that off.

And the reels seemed loose to me.  I could spin them. There was some tension from the slots they clicked in to but didn’t take any effort to turn them.  I’ve seen that discussed on other threads so it seemed relevant to include although I’m not 100% certain what’s considered loose to turn. 

Offline Dalbok

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 08:06:58 AM »
I just realized the speaker in the coin tray isn’t connected to anything, so not sure what the purpose of that is. I see a speaker in the belly door that I assume is the one I’ve been hearing.

Also, there are 3 loose connectors hanging in the belly door, two are cable-tied but I don’t see anything for any of them to connect to, so I assume they aren’t related to the issue since it was working fine.  Picture attached. 

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 300
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 08:47:38 AM »
The reels have to be locked into place, this has to be determined before you go any farther.  if you can take one finger and spin the reel and it spins freely, then it is not locked into position,  if you need to use more than one finger and need to apply force and it moves one or two positions at a time, then it is locked in place.

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline Dalbok

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 09:00:03 AM »

Thanks for the clarification Jim.  I am definitely able to move the reel with one finger.  I assume that wasn’t the case yesterday before this all started. 

The reels have to be locked into place, this has to be determined before you go any farther.  if you can take one finger and spin the reel and it spins freely, then it is not locked into position,  if you need to use more than one finger and need to apply force and it moves one or two positions at a time, then it is locked in place.

Jim

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 387
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 09:00:20 AM »
Also did you remove this connector and look at the backside?  That's usually where it's usually burnt.

Offline Dalbok

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 09:10:23 AM »

Thanks Tilt.  I hadn’t done that, but sounds like a common sense thing to do after I read your reply.  So I just disconnected and took a look and it looks clean to me and the pins look clean.  New pictures attached. 

Also did you remove this connector and look at the backside?  That's usually where it's usually burnt.

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2020, 09:11:59 AM »
put the board back in the machine, power it up, leave the hopper out,  with the machine on,  reach in and wiggle that connector, you may have to raise it  slowly while wiggling, while doing this observe the reels ,you will see them lock into place when power is restored.  if this fails then you might have an intermittent fuse cap problem.  the main cause for the reels not being held in place is a power problem.

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 241
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2020, 09:14:22 AM »
And the reels seemed loose to me.  I could spin them. There was some tension from the slots they clicked in to but didn’t take any effort to turn them.  I’ve seen that discussed on other threads so it seemed relevant to include although I’m not 100% certain what’s considered loose to turn. 

Sounds like the reels are getting power.(stiff)

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2020, 09:24:13 AM »
I can see that you have one of the pins in your connector has unreasonable distance in comparison to the other five, you can see this yourself, the distance of the metal connector toward the side of the connector, ( second pin)   you can pull out that one pin out and clean and reshape it.

Jim

Signature:

Offline Dalbok

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2020, 09:37:10 AM »

I got the impression from Jim’s description that the reel was loose.  I could move it with a single finger.  I can just feel the grooves in the wheel that the reel slots into as it turns.  That was the only tension I could detect. 

Sounds like the reels are getting power.(stiff)

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 447
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2020, 09:42:11 AM »
If you have a speaker in your coin tray, the coin tray is from an S2000, whoever had it before probably couldn't source an S+ tray, but they are the same size, so the speaker will just sit there.

What we mean when the reels are stiff is what you describe.  You feel "steps" as you move it, also if you try to manually spin the reel by giving it a flick, when they are loose, they will freely spin and eventually stop due to just plain friction like a wheel on a skateboard.  If they are stiff, they will immediately stop.  It sounds from your description that the reels are getting power.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Dalbok

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2020, 09:52:57 AM »

I still need to try your other suggestion as well (I just left there).  Just to be clear on the what you were referring to here, your talking about the connector in the attached picture?

I can see that you have one of the pins in your connector has unreasonable distance in comparison to the other five, you can see this yourself, the distance of the metal connector toward the side of the connector, ( second pin)   you can pull out that one pin out and clean and reshape it.

Jim

Offline Dalbok

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2020, 10:16:34 AM »

Thanks for that explanation.  Makes sense about the tray. 

As for the reels, thanks for that explanation.  I was thinking those steps were grooves in the wheel/rod that it’s spinning on.  I will reconfirm again when I get back there but sounds like that’s a good think if power is getting to the reels.

If you have a speaker in your coin tray, the coin tray is from an S2000, whoever had it before probably couldn't source an S+ tray, but they are the same size, so the speaker will just sit there.

What we mean when the reels are stiff is what you describe.  You feel "steps" as you move it, also if you try to manually spin the reel by giving it a flick, when they are loose, they will freely spin and eventually stop due to just plain friction like a wheel on a skateboard.  If they are stiff, they will immediately stop.  It sounds from your description that the reels are getting power.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal