New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: 044 Screen getting cut off Or positioning problem  (Read 986 times)

Offline marcdavis

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • marcdavis New User has no influence.
  • NLG
044 Screen getting cut off Or positioning problem
« on: August 13, 2020, 10:28:25 AM »
I am working on a friends 17” 044 GameKing. Put in a new lcd (hp) and the screen is getting cut off at the bottom. See pics. I have tried auto-adjust on the panel and manually adjusting the vertical position but no luck. He also has a 3902 with the same lcd and the display is perfect. Swapping the displays didn’t fix it. Does the 044 expect a different kind of display? These panels are 5x4 aspect ratio 17” vga. Would 4x3 be better?

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
Re: 044 Screen getting cut off Or positioning problem
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 10:53:42 AM »
You need 4x3. 
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline marcdavis

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 11:02:56 AM »
You need 4x3.

So 3902s are 5x4 and 044s are 4x3?

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 02:38:53 PM »
They are all 4x3's. But 3902's use a different sync line that 044's.  On some monitors a jumper needs to be moved in order of the monitor to work right on an 044 platform, on my 17" cabinet the LCD has an option in the setup menu to select between IGT 039, IGT 044, and IGT AVP.  You can't just measure the outside of the monitor to determine aspect ratio.  You hit the menu button on the monitor to see what resolution is being displayed.  both 3902 and 044 use 640x480.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline marcdavis

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 03:05:15 PM »
The monitors I’m using are generic/branded panels, hp, Dell, etc. no setting for Igt types on those. They are all 5:4. But I can get 4:3 if those will work better.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 04:52:52 PM »
Do the monitors have some sort of overscan setting?  The only reason why the video would be chopped off is because it is stretching a 640 x 480 image to fit horizontally.  Is there a "stretch to fit," or fill option on the menus that can be disabled on the monitor"  These are just 640x480 images, ANY monitor should be able to display that without problems.

Offline marcdavis

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 06:32:09 PM »
I agree - any of the monitors I am using should be able to display 640x480 VGA; I am beginning to think the problem may be in the vga breakout box I am using to connect the monitor to the 19-pin connector. Further investigation is necessary. Thanks for the input guys - I will post my results after I experiment more.

MD

Offline marcdavis

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 06:02:44 PM »

:EmoticonHelp4:   :banghead:

Ok – after testing I am still at a loss. Here is the equipment and the issue:

Machine 1: 17” IGT GameKing; 3902 MPU, 19 Pin monitor harness; Monitor: HP L1710* LCD, VGA
Machine 2: 17” IGT GameKing; 044 MPU, 19 pin monitor harness; Monitor: HP L1710* LCD, VGA
Machine 3: 19” IGT GameKing; 044 MPU, 25 pin monitor harness; Monitor: HP L1710* LCD, VGA (for testing, has a working 19” Kortek normally)

* same monitor used on all three for testing purposes; also tested with a Dell 19” LCD; same behaviors
Machine 2 is the troublemaker. Here is what I am seeing:

Machine 1; works normally with HP LCD – picture is perfect; vertical and horizontal spacing are normal; entire screen is visible; horizontal and vertical controls on monitor work as expected

Machine 3; works normally with HP LCD – picture is perfect; vertical and horizontal spacing are normal; entire screen is visible; horizontal and vertical controls on monitor work as expected

Machine 2: with HP LCD - Picture quality is fine – but vertical positioning is off; the vertical position is about a half-inch too low – so the bottom row of text and most of the on-screen buttons are below the monitor’s physical screen area. The monitor’s OSD controls for vertical and horizontal positioning do not appear to work when this monitor is connected to machine 2 – meaning when I adjust them there is no visible change to the display or maybe just a 1-pixel difference (they work perfectly on machines 1,3 and when connected to a laptop). Auto-adjust attempts to reposition the screen but it always falls below the visible boundary of the lcd panel. This panel does not have IGT preferences in the OSD or any jumpers to switch – as these are commodity panels.

I’ve gone over the wiring diagrams for the 17” and 19” cabinets – not seeing anything that would lead me in a new direction for troubleshooting.

So – can someone help me understand what is going wrong here? This is just supposed to be 640x480 VGA RGBHV + ground; is there some weird compatibility issue with the 044 platform when using a 19-pin harness? I read somewhere on NLG (can’t find the thread at the moment) that there is some different sync signal with the 044 – is this true and what does that mean relative to what I am seeing?

Appreciate the help as always!

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 07:03:06 PM »
Swap the 044 MPU board between machine #2 and machine #3 and see if the problem follows the MPU board.  3902 boards had a couple of different video FPGA configuration PROMs and would cause the screen to shift swapping one with another.  Haven't heard of the same thing with 044 MPU's, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  U78 on the 044 board is the configuration PROM for the video FPGA and mine doesn't have any program version information on it which the 3902's do.
The only difference between 19 and 25 pin monitors is that they added separate grounds for the RGB signals with 25 pin version.

Offline marcdavis

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 07:18:55 PM »
Swap the 044 MPU board between machine #2 and machine #3 and see if the problem follows the MPU board.  3902 boards had a couple of different video FPGA configuration PROMs and would cause the screen to shift swapping one with another.  Haven't heard of the same thing with 044 MPU's, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  U78 on the 044 board is the configuration PROM for the video FPGA and mine doesn't have any program version information on it which the 3902's do.
The only difference between 19 and 25 pin monitors is that they added separate grounds for the RGB signals with 25 pin version.

Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately Machine 2 is not in the same physical location as machines 1 and 3 so swapping the MPUs is problematic. I am really hoping it is not the MPU or backplane... those things are like hens teeth to find (at a reasonable price). What keeps bugging me is why the OSD vertical and horizontal controls have little effect on machine 2 but behave normally on 1 and 3.

Question: I keep reading that the resolution is different on the 3902 vs the 044; And the 044 visibly has a better picture so I am guessing the resolution is higher. Do you happen to know what resolutions and frequencies the 3902 and the 044 output? I can't find that info anywhere.

Thx

Marc
[size=78%] [/size]

Offline marcdavis

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 08:17:24 PM »
They are all 4x3's. But 3902's use a different sync line that 044's.  On some monitors a jumper needs to be moved in order of the monitor to work right on an 044 platform, on my 17" cabinet the LCD has an option in the setup menu to select between IGT 039, IGT 044, and IGT AVP.  You can't just measure the outside of the monitor to determine aspect ratio.  You hit the menu button on the monitor to see what resolution is being displayed.  both 3902 and 044 use 640x480.

Hi rickhunter - can you elaborate on that different sync line? The cabling is RGBHV + Ground; so horizontal and vertical sync. I have tested the same monitor on a 039, 19 pin, and 044 19 pin and an 044 25 pin. The picture looks fine on the 039-19 and the 044-25 - so I don't see how the HV sync could be different; it only doesn't display properly on the 044-19.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2020, 04:05:15 PM »
Most of the literature refer to switching the H/V Sync.  Here's a doc from ceronix.  On monitors meant for gaming, their firmware includes this menu option.  Since you are trying to adapt a pc monitor to it, I don't know what you would need to do.

Offline marcdavis

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2020, 04:22:01 PM »
I saw that - are they implying the h and v sync wires are flipped and the (ceronix) monitor needs to switch those signals (internally) to make it work? I can certainly test switching the H & V pins on my vga connector by way of an adapter - but if this was the case I would think the monitor would not display anything at all as the sync signal would be out of range for what it was expecting - but will give it a try. Thx!

Marc

Offline marcdavis

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2020, 11:10:56 AM »
Ok - So it seems the problem must have been in the two HP panels I used; I built another 17" touchscreen using a Viewsonic panel and was able to use the Horizontal and Vertical screen controls to properly center the display on the 044 19-pin GameKing. The HP Panels would not adjust themselves using the On Screen Controls. It is still odd that those controls work when not connected to the GK but I will leave that to a glitch in the Matrix.

So - if anyone wants to repro it - the final touchscreen was a ViewSonic VA705-LED 17" panel mated to a 3M 17-9391-204-01 capacitive touchscreen. I 3D printed clips to mount the panel to the door - if anyone would like the file I will be happy to share it. I also have clips for the HP panels.

Marc

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal