New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: My First EM  (Read 3166 times)

Offline RobinAK

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • RobinAK New User barely matters.RobinAK New User barely matters.
  • NLG
My First EM
« on: March 09, 2021, 08:52:42 PM »
Okay I got me my first EM machine. :dancing_2: Need help ID machine. No tag on the side.  :Scratch-Head: Aprox year made? Model? The coins on the top glass are all dated 1980. Also need hopper motor. Also seller modified the power switch for outside access.  :duh: I'll be fixing that. Any photo of what the power switch should look like?  Also how do I remove top trim/glass? Here are pics. Why does is always turn them sideways??

Thanks! :thank_you:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 07:26:52 AM by wolftalk »

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: My First EM
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 09:05:57 PM »
Congratulations on your purchase RobinAK!  :applause:

Could you please try to turn all your nice pictures over to the right a little?

SOMEWHERE around 90 degrees would be just jim dandy.... :Tongue_Out:
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline RobinAK

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 09:17:05 PM »
finally got it.  here is another pic

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 11:23:02 PM »
the cabinet style is 808/809/831/873 and a few other more obscure models.  However, the upper compartment was there to house units needed for those games.  Most were multiple coin machines - either pay multiplier or multiple line. 

got a pic behind the upper glass?  If there's a stuff in there with anything except a lamp panel or a flourescent light, pics of that.

the slotted metal index discs next to each reel have numbers/codes stamped into the left sides.  What do yours say?

the m-645-118 payout counter disc was commonly used in 809 models ... but right-left pay didn't show up until model 847.

I'd guess you have a very good remanufactured game.  Look for black sharpie-like writing on the units and whatever is behind the top glass.

Offline RobinAK

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 06:18:38 AM »
the cabinet style is 808/809/831/873 and a few other more obscure models.  However, the upper compartment was there to house units needed for those games.  Most were multiple coin machines - either pay multiplier or multiple line. 

got a pic behind the upper glass?  If there's a stuff in there with anything except a lamp panel or a flourescent light, pics of that.

the slotted metal index discs next to each reel have numbers/codes stamped into the left sides.  What do yours say?

the m-645-118 payout counter disc was commonly used in 809 models ... but right-left pay didn't show up until model 847.

I'd guess you have a very good remanufactured game.  Look for black sharpie-like writing on the units and whatever is behind the top glass.

Thanks for some good information. I'll take a look at the reel disc's and see what the numbers say. The chrome trim seems to overlap the top glass. I was afraid to go further with out knowing how it comes off. Ill take another look. Any idea what hopper motor I need? Or where I may find one? I was gonna ask on the classifieds but I was trying to figure out what I was needing before posting an ad.

Offline RobinAK

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 07:40:07 AM »
Okay I figured out the top glass removal :duh: . Not much up inside.  Looked around for writing. Nothing found. Got numbers off the reel index disc's.
I got 684-305S, 684-305S & 684-307S. Looked a little closer at the hopper motor. Got a number on it. E-119-344. Also had a date on it.. I could read 1974.

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 08:10:42 AM »
Look on either side of the circuit boards (commonly called wiper boards) behind the reels.
There’s a chance that the model number is handwritten on the board or a little white tag
has been applied.
Lots of times the model number is marked on the components by machine mechanics.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 09:57:00 AM »
I don't think bally made machines in that era with plastic zip ties on the wire bundles ... davidlee has seen a lot more game guts tho.

the p-684-[305, 306, 307] index discs were most commonly used in 1090 machines (3 coin multiplier), but those used a m-645-369 payout counter, had wide reel strips and a different cabinet style.

I'd bet that bally didn't make the machine, so there isn't a bally model number.  Circuit-wise it'll be similar to a 1090 if you erased the coin unit stuff.

one sanity check is look at the wire colors on the hopper plug and the reel plug.  The wires on the numbered traces on the payout counter disc should go directly to the reel wiper boards.  If the wires change color at plug connections, that's a big clue the game is a mashup of different machine parts.

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 10:11:10 AM »

Bally machine that has some modifications, wires re-wrapped and custom top glass.

The hopper and payout step up unit are exactly like a 831 machine in my shop.

Offline RobinAK

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 02:51:43 PM »
Okay well thanks for all the great information. The wiper boards have no numbers other than #1,2 & 3. Wish it was a true unmodified machine but I still like it enough I may keep it. So the hopper motor... any leads on where to go? Ive posted in the classifieds here. Been looking on the web. No luck yet. thinking I might have to have it repaired. Any suggestions on where to look for one?
Thanks!
Robert
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 03:57:35 PM by RobinAK »

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2021, 03:04:25 PM »
does the motor work?    Someone could have overheated the solder lug and melted it off, then did a clumsy splice onto the stator coil wire.   You could tidy it with some heat shrink tube and don't worry about wrapping the coil with anything.

Offline RobinAK

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2021, 03:42:00 PM »
does the motor work?    Someone could have overheated the solder lug and melted it off, then did a clumsy splice onto the stator coil wire.   You could tidy it with some heat shrink tube and don't worry about wrapping the coil with anything.
Well the seller insisted on showing me how it had a hopper issue...even though I kept telling him no worries its okay.  He made it stop on a payout. The hopper then started to function.. he had no coins in it at the time. He then says huh it was not doing that before...He then did something to make it stop.. I forget what exactly he did.. pulled the hopper  or restarted the machine maybe... anyways he then makes it stop on a payout again and the hopper was trying to work...that's when I said well its smoking now.. lets unplug it.

I have not messed with the motor yet. I just assumed its no good anymore. Maybe I should try it and see. Maybe I'll remove it fro the hopper so no load is on it and go from there. The windings seem like they got pretty hot though so i assume its shorted now.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2021, 04:49:43 PM »
the winding can handle letting a little smoke out.

your best best is to take the hopper apart, clean out all the old grease and crud, re-greasing with a synthetic grease and seeing how it goes.  Also remove the stator and clean off the rotor/armature drum and the stator hole ... there's very little clearance and junk in there can bind the rotor. 

a major place for dirt to accumulate is behind the pinwheel at the bottom, and I'd also remove the pinwheel shaft and clean that too.

as an experiment which I've never tried and if you want a relative idea if whether cleaning/greasing made a difference ... and you have a drill with a adjustable torque chuck: empty the hopper, attach the chuck directly to the motor rotor and set the chuck to slip at minimum torque.  Keep upping the torque until you get the pinwheel to rotate a few times.

clean/grease the hopper and do it again to see if it requires less torque to spin the pinwheel

the gearbox has a huge torque multiplying affect, so you may not see a difference. 

« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 05:36:23 PM by wolftalk »

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2021, 05:16:50 PM »
Apparently the hopper did work. It probably started to heat up during the payout.
Most likely he tripped the coin in wire to stop the motor.

Like Wolftalk said clean the hopper. You may find debris in the bottom, sometimes small screws or washers get lodged.
The saw tooth gears can be turned by hand. There hard to move, but it can be done.

I’m not recommending this, but the hopper motor could be wired directly to 110ac for testing only.

This is done with EXTREME CAUTION !!!

Offline RobinAK

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2021, 08:46:55 PM »
Well the motor is toast. I removed it form the hopper. Patched it up and ran it unloaded. Still smokes after a few seconds. It looks like crap. The gear box is fine as i can spin the motor easily. Hopper seems fine also. Maybe a prior issue and it just now gave up. Seems like the wiring connections have be tampered with prior. So i know its 110v 50/60 hz. what is RPM, HP? trying to find a replacement. Im finding similar looking ones made by dayton on ebay. 

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2021, 09:22:09 PM »
tmi? :-)

Offline RobinAK

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2021, 09:26:00 PM »
tmi? :-)
wow awesome! Was this in the DL section? I never thought to look.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2021, 09:46:00 PM »
not on the nlg site anywhere.  Just one of the bally internal documents I got from a slot operator/designer/field ref/refurb guy in nevada.

if you have the patience to put 460 turns of 25 gauge magnet wire onto your stator, you can rewind the coil.  I don't know if the stator comes apart so you could easily wind the wire around the bobbin. 

If it doesn't, you're faced with trying to calculate how long the wire needs to be and threading it through the gap between the bobbin abd stator for every turn ... I'd guess the wire is at least 150', but winding it on gets easier as you go :-)

there must be some bad motors with good stators around for a reasonable price - usually it's the first gear in the gearbox that wears out.  Did you try some of the slot parts companies?

I'm going to the pacific pinball warehouse tomorrow and will look in a box of bingo parts I brought back from nevada.  I'll also email a guy I know there and see what he has.

btw, the motor used on the new style/snow hopper is different and has different part numbers for the stator, so they probably won't work.  The snow hopper has the motor turning the pinwheel directly, while your hopper has the motor off to the side and gears connecting the motor to the pinwheel.  There's a hopper from a series E game on ebay ... the motor from it won't work.

Offline RobinAK

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2021, 04:55:21 AM »
not on the nlg site anywhere.  Just one of the bally internal documents I got from a slot operator/designer/field ref/refurb guy in nevada.

if you have the patience to put 460 turns of 25 gauge magnet wire onto your stator, you can rewind the coil.  I don't know if the stator comes apart so you could easily wind the wire around the bobbin. 

If it doesn't, you're faced with trying to calculate how long the wire needs to be and threading it through the gap between the bobbin abd stator for every turn ... I'd guess the wire is at least 150', but winding it on gets easier as you go :-)

there must be some bad motors with good stators around for a reasonable price - usually it's the first gear in the gearbox that wears out.  Did you try some of the slot parts companies?

I'm going to the pacific pinball warehouse tomorrow and will look in a box of bingo parts I brought back from nevada.  I'll also email a guy I know there and see what he has.

btw, the motor used on the new style/snow hopper is different and has different part numbers for the stator, so they probably won't work.  The snow hopper has the motor turning the pinwheel directly, while your hopper has the motor off to the side and gears connecting the motor to the pinwheel.  There's a hopper from a series E game on ebay ... the motor from it won't work.

Yeah I looked at the DL page after I posted that and did not see it. But I can say when I looked at that last night  I immediately downloaded it and backed it up as I knew that was a rare find lol. Thank you so much for your efforts. Yeah looking at the motor Ive thought about rewinding it. Looks like a pain if I cant get it apart. If i get time today I might stop at a local electric motor re builder and see what they say. I saw that hopper and thought maybe if the stator could swap over. But probably not. All the Dayton motors don't match up either. If you find one please PM me as obviously I'll take it lol. 
Thank You!
Robert

Offline RobinAK

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2021, 07:48:49 AM »
Okay I got it apart!  :dancing_2: I'll  am going to rewind it myself. Ordering wire today! Thank you so much for that information without that I would not be able to attempt this.  :thank_you:
Robert

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal