New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Newbie with a sound eprom question.  (Read 968 times)

Offline The_Smokin_Eagle

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • The_Smokin_Eagle New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Newbie with a sound eprom question.
« on: April 05, 2020, 03:46:39 PM »
     Hi all, picked up my first slot machine it is built as a "Triple Cherries" game, round top- I believe built around 92.   I would actually like to replace the sound eprom it is currently using a 8953-0005 ( whoosh reel spin ) which is a little lackluster and am interested in trying some other versions that make a little more noise but unsure how feasible this is.

I've also never worked with eprom so any tips would be appreciated-  I'd just like to know all I can before I decide to take the hopper out to get at the MPU.  If anyone knows where to find some of the older distinctive sound libraries that would be appreciated as well- or what would be required to create a custom sound effect library?

The MPU pcb is a 8116-A3

Machine eprom 8933
Machine eprom version 0041
Game eprom 9052
Game eprom ver 0002

Would this be able to run any of the 8116 sound eproms as it is a newer A3 board or just select ones?

Oh and thanks in advance.

Offline The_Smokin_Eagle

• NLG
Re: Newbie with a sound eprom question.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 06:07:19 PM »
So I didn't want to add a reply to Uniman's post regarding known information about Universal sound eeprom but I guess my question pertains to that information.

For example he mentions "the sound file must be compatible to the machine chip."  Would that be the "Machine eeprom" (Test #9 data 1 ) the "machine eeprom version" (Test#9 data 2) or both?   Do those seem to dictate which Main Master sound chip version is usable?

Out of the 8953 /0001-0008 does anyone have any notes or opinions about which has the most enjoyable spin sound?  Seems like that is what I would first be trying.

Sorry if this question muddles things up even more.  Trying to jump into things can make things confusing I guess.

Online UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 137
  • UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 09:29:23 AM »

Good questions, let's see if I can help.
First of all I no longer have slots, working off of memory. But I do have a collection of sound files!

Never found any documentation for sound chip compatibility, learned through trial and error. What I did find is that the newer the Machine Chip, 8933-0041 in your case, the more sound chips that work. Even wrote a few custom of my own back in the day, can't remember what they sound like??
Your game and machine chip should be able to use most all sound chips available.

Now comes the "fun" part, writing the eproms.
First you need an eprom reader/writer that can write to a 24-pin 2732 eprom. (ebay)
Second you need an eprom eraser. (little ultra-violet light box) (ebay)
Third you need to find 2732 chips! And BE CAREFUL, there were some 2732's my old eprom reader/writer would NOT write to. Believe it was Texas Instrument brand.
You could use 2764 chips, 24-pin. You would have to double the file-copy it twice to the chip.(I see some ST brand 2732's on Ebay, I THINK those work)
Forth you should get some sort of eprom remover, (IC chip extractor) (ebay)

You erase the chips first by exposing the little glass window on the chips to a specific ultra-violet light, usually about 20 minutes.
The you set your reader/writer to your chip size and read it. The chip readout is Hexidecimal format. An erased chip is all FF's which in binary is all 1's. Your reader will show a zero content reading so you don't have to check the entire file!
You then upload the file you want to write to the reader/writer and write it. Your reader/writer will say file written or failed to write.
Your machine sound has two 2732 chips. Your current sound main master is the 8953-0003. You could MAYBE use the 8953-0022 master. Believe so.
I really liked the Main Master 8953-0022 with the 8953-0050 Data chip. Nice spin sound.

IF you go through the trouble of acquiring the devices above I would be happy to share my sound files (.bin) with you.
Let me know.

Another thing, make little labels for your chips as you create them!

Jim

Offline The_Smokin_Eagle

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 04:37:19 PM »
     Excellent tips and answers thank you, looks like I have some shopping to do.  Hopefully in a bit I can be bugging you for those .bin files  :hail:

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal