New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: IGT S Plus handle coil not working and no reel stop sound  (Read 1151 times)

Offline newkid3

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 37
  • newkid3 Is working their way up.newkid3 Is working their way up.newkid3 Is working their way up.
  • NLG
IGT S Plus handle coil not working and no reel stop sound
« on: February 09, 2024, 06:34:42 PM »
I have a IGT S Plus Haywire that I have got everything working on it and bill validator updated. I just realized the reel stop sound from the handle coil does not work. Also when I push bet one credit I can not pull the handle. The spin button does work.
I can get in there manually and pull the coil in and the handle pulls good and smooth.
Any ideas of what all could make this coil not work?
I did look at the coil and it looks like plugs are on coil. Those wires go down to a plug pretty close to it and it is plugged in.

Thanks

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: IGT S Plus handle coil not working and no reel stop sound
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2024, 06:42:52 PM »
Make sure the dips on the MPU 1-4 are ON, 5-8 OFF.
Dip #3 actually is for the sound generator.
A chip labeled "AY" something is needed in a socket on the MPU I believe...I could be wrong on that.

Also, go to Input Tests on the Flip cards 16_0.
The tests will activate the solenoid.
If not, disconnect plug up near solenoid, put a multimeter on the harness and activate [16-00 again to see if any juice is getting thru the harness.
You can download the diagnostic flipcards from here...>>>

« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 07:25:15 PM by Stayouttadabunker »
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline newkid3

• newkid3 Is working their way up.newkid3 Is working their way up.newkid3 Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2024, 06:55:51 PM »
Sorry I should have said I did go to input test 16_0. When I hit the spin button it would change to 16_1. It would not let me pull the handle to test that switch. Would the dip switches on MPU keep it from activating the handle solenoid in test mode?

Thanks

• Topic Moderator
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2024, 07:23:19 PM »
No...dip switch #3 being on just kicks the on solenoid to make a stopping noise when the reels stop.

Look...>>>

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline RB

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 351
  • RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2024, 07:25:29 PM »
Be sure the lower spring isn't broken on the solenoid. You can examine it better by removing it.
It can be done without removing the handle mech on a S Plus machine.
Quality doesn't cost. It pays.

Offline newkid3

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2024, 08:24:06 PM »
RB, any tricks or info on getting the coil out of the S Plus machines?

Thanks

Offline newkid3

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2024, 09:50:54 PM »
If that spring is missing will it keep the coil from releasing to let handle pull down?

Offline newkid3

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2024, 09:24:44 AM »
Both springs are still on the coil. Can I unplug the coil harness and check for voltage there close to the coil? Should there be voltage there all of the time and the MPU sends a ground signal to activate it or is it the opposite and the MPU sends voltage to it when it is called for? What is the best way to test for voltage on the coil? Also what should the voltage be there? If I can get this one thing it will be 100%.

Thanks

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 301
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2024, 11:30:41 AM »
24vac,  unplug and test using test 16,  if voltage is present and the coil doesn't energize, then the rectifier on the coil is probably bad.

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline newkid3

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2024, 07:55:42 PM »
Is all you have to do to take the handle coil off is take the three nuts off and it will come off?
I have the three nuts circled in red. It's not real easy to get back there and undo the connector to take a voltage reading.
So I  think it would be easier to take the coil off and unplug the connectors from it to get a reading. That way if I have to do something with it the coil will already be off.

Thanks

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2024, 08:27:30 PM »
You might want to look at this sheet I've attached to this Reply.
It's right there in the NLG File System, if you look for it...>>>

Offline newkid3

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2024, 12:56:26 AM »
Stayouttadabunker, I had seen that file. From me looking at the setup in the machine in person it looks to me like the drawing is missing a bolt stud, 2 nuts and the lines to show where those two studs go to. That was why I asked the question. I have drawn in kinda the missing bolt stud the two nuts and the lines to where the studs go. I might be totally wrong but it was confusing to me. Like it might be to a different setup. I have never messed with a handke setup in a S Plus machine so I wanted to make sure before I messed something up.

Thanks

Offline newkid3

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2024, 01:11:04 AM »
Actually after studying the drawing closer and thinking that the bottom bolt stud can not go all the way thru there because then the latch part could not move back and forth. I realized the bottom stud is on the outer plate. All that is missing in the drawing is the two nuts and the lines to show where those 2 studs go. I am learning.

Thanks

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2024, 07:14:21 AM »
Oh...them drawings are never perfect....it's just to help you a little.
I've found mistakes with diagrams and schematics all the time.

I hate trying to work around corners...that whole cashbox and validator unit is in the way.
I just take out the bill validator unit, then remove the handle & mech to work on 'em.
Not hard to do if you've done it a milllion times.
It's basically remove 3 Philips screws, about 7 nuts, disconnect the vaildator, power supply harnesses, and it's outta there.

To take out the handle mech, undo the Allen key bolt, pull off the handle shaft, 3 nuts/bolts with the round plate, and IGT cover.
Then disconnect the lockout, and microswitch plugs.

However, that's a lotta work when Jim only asked you to check the voltage coming out of the lockout solenoid harness.   :rotfl:
To do that, just un-clip the 2-pin harness from the solenoid plug, stick your probes onto those two pins, and run the 16-0 test.
If you have 24vac? (Page.40 of the Electronic Repair Manual)  coming out, then you gotta get out that handle lockout solenoid, and get it functional.  :cool_thumb_up:

When you did the [16-0] test, the solenoid didn't move?
You should hear it clicking at least - in attempts to move?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 07:48:10 AM by Stayouttadabunker »

Offline newkid3

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2024, 09:12:01 AM »
Ok I finally was able to have the time to get the coil out and take a good reading with the machine in 16-0 test. The coil was very easy to remove. Take 3 nuts off and pull coil off. I  get no voltage at the coil with the machine in 16-0 input test.  Well 1.2 volts AC. Both the spin button and pulling the handle since there is no mechanism there to stop it makes the 0 change to 1. I did check all of the main fuses with a meter and they are good.
What do I need to check since I have no voltage at the coil?

Thanks

Offline newkid3

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2024, 06:43:35 PM »
Could it be a connection somewhere back to the CPU or the CPU itself?   Thanks

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2024, 07:17:23 AM »
If the coil shorted out, that could of had harmful effects back to the MPU.
Check the harness for continuity and the coil for operation.
Pg.34 in the S+ Electronic Repair Manual is where you want to look...>>>

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 301
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2024, 06:43:18 PM »
substitute a known good board, if it still doesn't work, then probably the motherboard is bad.  the cpu board puts a 24vac return voltage out to the coil, the 24vac hot runs through the motherboard and D-3 which is a Fuse, you can check the voltage there, on one side of D-3, if it is there and not on the other side, either the fuse is bad, or broken from the motherboard.

Hope this helps

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline newkid3

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2024, 02:02:07 PM »
The only working S Plus board I have is in a slant top machine. Can I use that board? If I can do I just put the upright board chips in the slant top board or what? What chips would I have to transfer? I dont want to mess something up.  How do you check the board for voltages since it has to be installed for it to get power?

Ok I just reread the post. So the fuse is at D-3 on the motherboard. So are you saying it is probably the Motherboard and not the CPU board.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 02:18:06 PM by newkid3 »

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 240
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2024, 02:38:20 PM »
Yes you can use that board but the tray is different.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal