New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally E series not working  (Read 3303 times)

Offline rjpohl

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 137
  • rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Bally E series not working
« on: December 17, 2018, 09:54:28 AM »
The slot powers up but does not accept coins.  The display on the door has a "0" in the second from left, the rest of the display is blank.  I've checked all fuses, the display does not respond to pressing the test or reset buttons on hopper.  If I cycle on/off every now and then the coin diverter will pull in for a split second and then drop out. 
I've also pulled all eproms and re-seated them.

thanks
Bob

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 300
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Bally E series not working
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 10:28:00 AM »
Bob,   is this a 1000 or a 2000 mpu,  if it is a 1000 and has the piggy back memory board, I would start there, provided all the three essential voltages are present.  place a piece of cardboard between the board and the metal sidewall (act as an insulator) push in on the piggy back board and wiggle it around, as you do this monitor the display, if it changes and you can get the machine to work, then you have to replace the two connectors on the piggy back board, usually will correct the problem.

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline rjpohl

• Sr NLG Member
  • rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 11:49:58 AM »
Jim, I had a seceond MPU board (I swapped eproms) and installed it.  The display then showed "6" in the far right column.  I wiggled the small piggy back board and display flickered and then ended with the 50 code.  I closed door and inserted coin, it accepted it and played.  It even paid off.  After playing for several minuted the display went back too "6".  I had to move the small board around and finally went back to working.  Is this caused by dirty pins connections or do the connectors on piggy back board need replacing??
thanks
Bob

Offline rjpohl

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 07:07:02 AM »
I have 2 MPU boards and 3 RAM boards, I have tried each RAM with each MPU and basically I get the same results, it will work for a bit and then stop.  If I wiggle the ram board enough it will work again. 
I have ordered a ram board from K-LAR. 
I'll let you know if the new board solves problem.
Bob

Offline rjpohl

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 08:07:45 AM »
Forgot to ask if the battery on the ram board is needed or can it be removed?  Ii seem to remember that it wasn't needed.
thanks
Bob

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 10:55:10 AM »
You might want to remove the ram board and try cleaning those mounting header pins with a pink eraser. I have a large one I use. I just had a E-1000 Series here that had a 6 code. Once I cleaned those pins it went away. Another main cause for a 6 code is the power supply is failing or has bad connections on the 20 pin plug. I would also recommend checking the solder joints for cracks on the back of the PS Boards header pins and on the MPU ram header pins.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline rjpohl

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 01:55:04 PM »
Update:
Sent all boards/power supply out for repair and just received them back today.  Did not send hopper board.

Machine powers up, coin diverter does not pull in, insert coin and coin accepted lights are off, checked all fuses (good).  The display has a 0 in the 5th column (2nd from right).  Pressing reset or test buttons have no affect.  I installed a new hopper board from Fox Slots but nothing changed.

Where to start??

Offline Amechanic

• Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 08:37:20 PM »
If your boards tested good then I would assume the problem is with a Boards edge connector. I’ve had bad plug crimp connectors on the MPU and in the Power Supply’s plug. One other thing to check is the fuse block assembly. Those Bally fuse holders break inside and fail. I recently had a repair where I had two bad fuse holders causing most of the problems. Remove the fuse block and use a meter to check each fuse holder with the fuses inside of them.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 09:00:44 PM »
I had another customer who had his boards worked on and he contacted me saying they did not work.
The boards were fixed and tested good on my Bally E-Series tester.
His problem immediately told me he had a bad power supply connector, he sent me a picture and you could clearly see burnt and corroded pins.
After he cleaned the pins, spread them out, reinserted them the game came up and played, if he moved the power supply connector slightly the game would stop working.
I recommended he REPLACE all of the pins in the connector, currently sending him 6" pieces of wire with a fresh pin crimped to the end of each wire.
Remove a pin from the connector, cut it off, wire nut the 6" wire to the existing wire the pin was cut off from and insert the pin into the connector.
99% of the time this fixes the problem, the other 1% is usually broken fuse holders, corroded I/O board connectors, or bad ribbon cables.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline rjpohl

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 01:01:30 PM »
I'm pretty certain Badbaud is dead on with the power supply plug being the problem.  I can wiggle the connector around and get it to work somewhat but not for long.  I put a new power supply in from Fox and had the same problems so the pins on the power supply is not the problem.  Badbaud is sending me a set of new wires w/connectors that I can splice in to the existing wiring.
Pretty sure this will solve problems.  Thanks to everyone one for your help so far.  Seems like every one I work on has a different problem!
Thanks
Bob

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 02:30:40 PM »
This is a very common problem with these E-Series Bally machines. The tin plated crimp connectors tarnish and loose there spring tension with the heat cycles of power supply. The original style crimp connectors only make contact on one side of the header pins. There is a newer style out that contacts 3 sides of the header pins for a better connection.
And remember...

Offline rjpohl

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 07:19:37 PM »
Machine is working!!!

Alan at K-Lar helped me out with the connectors for the power supply.  Installed new connectors and Power supply now has good connection, slot is working fine. 

Thanks guys
Bob

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 07:24:59 PM »
Nice work Bob.  :applause:
And remember...

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 07:52:40 PM »
Mic drop.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal