New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally 5500 doesn't accept money  (Read 1152 times)

Offline SteveP

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • SteveP New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Bally 5500 doesn't accept money
« on: March 20, 2021, 07:30:44 PM »
Hey all, first off, I posted this in the V5500 forum and didn't realize it.... not knowing how to move it to the appropriate location, I'm double posting. I have done a lot more testing and such, which I'll indicate here. I didn't get much of a response to my problem in that other forum, so here I go

I recently acquired a Bally S5500 slot machine. Typically I mess with IGT's and this is my first Bally. I picked up the machine and after a good cleaning, I powered it up. It had credits and allowed me to play until the credits ran out. Now the machine won't let me add any credits to it via quarters or the bill validator.

Here's a list of what I've done thus far..... numbered to make it easy to refer to:

#1, I have tried both positions of the “Coin Mech” switch. Off restricts bills from entering the bill acceptor and in the on position, the bills accept but reject after fully entering

#2 The coin comparator has a quarter properly installed and green light is on, however when the door is shut, the power to the comparator goes away unless the "Coin Mech" switch is down (off). The power wire (blue) to the comparator was tested with a multimeter and the door switch pressed to get this finding.

#3 The coin optic below the comparator has a yellow light on, has been cleaned and appears to be working. The chip was removed and replaced as I read that worked for another member.

#4 When pressing the button on the optic or the psudo coin on the board, the machine registers credit and allows me to press the spin button for testing

#5 The bill validator (DBV-145-SH v 3.30-4)  It will take a bill, then spit it out. The bill acceptor test was completed and shows 8B rejected by bill acceptor for a ton of different bills (old and new styles) including $1's 5's 10's and 20's

#6 Machine options were checked and "Bet Mode 27" was changed and tested in every option available.

#7 A Ram clear using the J10 jumper was completed multiple times and didn't change the status

#8 coin acceptor test was completed, coin went through the comparator, hit the rake and bypassed the optic and hopper. No error or acceptance was displayed on the readout. (light was green, rake never moved from the bypass position)

#9 The JW3 dip switch is 1 off, 2 off, 3 on, 4 off, 5 off, 6 on, 7 on, 8 on

#10 If I bypass the coin comparator, (pin the rake open) the coin falls through the optic, in to the hopper and no credit is added. If I keep the coin in the optic for any length of time, it'll trigger a coin jam, thus I think the optic is good.

#11 The comparator has been swapped with a known good one in an IGT and found to operate the same. The one from the Bally works as it should in the IGT S+

#12  If I bypass the comparator, pinning the rake open, coins pass through the optical (yellow light quickly flashes as the coin passes the internal optics) and the coin passes through without registering a credit.

#13 Knowing these machines have odd issues, I rebuilt the power supply with a PT-65B as described in the sticky. After which I performed RAM clears using the J10 jumper successfully. No change in any of the above or current issue.

The lack of power getting to the comparator when the door is shut is concerning. I've probed the 3 wires to the comparator and none have power when the door is shut and the coin mech switch on. The blue wire appears to be the incoming 25v, and I've traced it all the way to the optic with no issue.

It seems the optic board is sending opposite commands to the coin comparator vs the coin mech switch by cutting power to the blue power wire. I'm curious if there is supposed to be any jumper on the optical board as it appears there are 4 locations possible (J1-J4).

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 09:08:24 PM by SteveP »

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 167
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: Bally 5500 doesn't accept money
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 05:17:21 AM »
Door switch wired wrong? It's wired N.C. ? And should be N.O.

Offline SteveP

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 08:23:37 AM »
I tested the switch and found it to be functioning as it should with wiring correctly placed. Further testing, I found no matter what position the switch is in, if the green light is on, on the comparator, the coin rake doesn't lift. If I bypass the rake, the coin won't register.

A couple more tests while I was at it. I found the "Insert coin" light blinks when door is shut and the coin mech switch in the up position. With either the door open, or the coin mech switch down/off, the light shuts off. Even with the rake shimmed open, the coin doesn't register, but simply dumps in to the hopper.

Offline SteveP

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 10:02:49 AM »
Some more testing complete.... and results... I think it's a transistor on the optic board. I was able to get it to discharge and when it did, the coin comparator lit up and it accepted a coin! Now time to find an optic board or the MPS6727 transistor that I think has failed.

Offline SteveP

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 10:20:23 PM »
FIXED.... finally got in a new optic board and the coin in works as it should. The bill validator isn't accepting bills, but I think the head is bad.... really though, I wanted the coin mech to work and it does again

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 167
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 03:51:09 AM »
Thanks for letting us know what the problem was!! Did you try cleaning the optics in the bill head?

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 08:10:21 AM »
There is also a sticky in the S5500 section on how to defeat the bill validator door switches.

You could update the Bill Validator to a DBV200 head,IDO44/45 V2.70 is the latest version and it will take he new $20.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal