New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: S2000 Ghost in the machine! Pulsing/clicking power? Help!  (Read 6569 times)

Offline Jasonmichael

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Jasonmichael New User has no influence.
  • I have the slot sickness...
S2000 Ghost in the machine! Pulsing/clicking power? Help!
« on: August 28, 2016, 11:59:11 AM »
Hi all!  I just picked up this s2k and it has already got me running to NLG for some professional guidance.  This machine is clean - but, on fire-up, the power supply just goes click-click-click (and so on) - no fluorescent lights fire up - no nothing - just clicking.  I changed out the power supply, same issue.  I disconnected all ballasts, same problem.  I disconnected the printer, DBV, coin comparitor, et cetera - even pulled out the MPU and, still, the same clicking.  When everything is plugged in I get the MPU lights all flashing (in sync with the clicking) and the coin comparitor light doing the same.  I have a short video I can e-mail or text.  Anyone been up against something like this before? 

Thank you!

Jasonmichael
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 09:09:13 PM by Jasonmichael »

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 184
  • qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: IGT S2000 Ghost i the machine! Pulsing/clicking power? Help!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 12:27:44 PM »
Did you disconnect the ballast from the input side.
Is it a 500 series or enhanced mpu?
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Offline Jasonmichael

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 02:25:04 PM »
Disconnected the ballasts at both sides and I believe it is a 500 board.

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 02:43:22 PM »
If you plug in the ballast and remove the MPU do the florescent lights work when you power it up?
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Offline Jasonmichael

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 03:42:40 PM »
No.  Does the same thing both ways. 

Offline cowboygames

• If I'm Not Here, Check The Golf Course
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 204
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
  • You Can't Find a Better Friend Than a Dog
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 04:11:11 PM »
Is the machine equiped with coin handling? You may have got a coin(s) behind the motherboard. Or a loose screw, nut, whatever, during transport

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 04:39:16 PM »
As above check all of your connectors on the machine make sure the power supply is fully seated with no burnt spots

Online rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 05:21:24 PM »
Remove I/O cards, I've had that happen once to me.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Jasonmichael

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 05:22:46 PM »
Hadn't thought to pull the motherboard to check for loose coins.  It's coined quarter.  Thanks!

Offline Jasonmichael

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 05:24:25 PM »
Remove I/O cards, I've had that happen once to me.

What/where are the I/O cards?

Offline Jasonmichael

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 05:25:30 PM »
As above check all of your connectors on the machine make sure the power supply is fully seated with no burnt spots

Power supply looks solid and is firmly seated.

Online rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 07:10:41 PM »

Depending on your machine type there are up to 3.  One is next to the MPU tray as shown in photo.  The other One (Two depending on configuration) are on the door.  To remove them, grab the "handle" and just pull out.  Remove all enough so they don't make contact anymore and power up to see if you still have the issue.  If you don't, insert one at a time to see which one is causing the short.

If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Jasonmichael

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 08:40:29 PM »

Depending on your machine type there are up to 3.  One is next to the MPU tray as shown in photo.  The other One (Two depending on configuration) are on the door.  To remove them, grab the "handle" and just pull out.  Remove all enough so they don't make contact anymore and power up to see if you still have the issue.  If you don't, insert one at a time to see which one is causing the short.

Thank you.  I have two, removed both, same clicking.   

Offline Jasonmichael

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2016, 08:42:27 PM »
Is the machine equiped with coin handling? You may have got a coin(s) behind the motherboard. Or a loose screw, nut, whatever, during transport

Pulled the mother board completely out--never wanted to hear a coin drop so badly in my life - but. Alas,it's clear. 

Online rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 09:48:51 AM »
There is a short somewhere.  At this point, I would start by systematically pulling all molex plugs off the mother board except for power.  Then power on see if you still get the clicking, if not, then start plugging in one connector at a time (with power off every time you insert one) until you get the clicking.  Then you can trace the cable to the offending part.

Offline Jasonmichael

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 04:01:21 PM »
There is a short somewhere.  At this point, I would start by systematically pulling all molex plugs off the mother board except for power.  Then power on see if you still get the clicking, if not, then start plugging in one connector at a time (with power off every time you insert one) until you get the clicking.  Then you can trace the cable to the offending part.
Ho-ly-sh*t!!!! 

Unplugged everything and plugged things in one at a time--all fires up now, RAM ERROR, but just the pictured plug is disconnected.  Any insight on where we go from here?  Looks like the disconnected set might lead to the DBV.  THANK YOU!!!

Offline Jasonmichael

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 04:22:51 PM »
Ok so excited to be making progress.  Now I removed the stepper base chip and installed the clear 97 chip.  Two amber lights as expected.  Change out the clear chip for the stepper base chip and fire it up.  RAM ERROR.  But it does not clear with a turn of the reset key.  Tried again...perhaps the reset key was eat was disconnected?  I thought it was the DBV but it's firing up. 

Offline Jasonmichael

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 04:38:26 PM »
Correction.  It wasn't the previously pictured molex that was causing the short.  It was the one pictured below which connects the button deck!  Was able to get through key 17 change out and now have 7 Key Chip Config--just have to figure out now which button is shorting it out.  So exciting!  More to come and thanks again all!

Offline therockinelvis

• Capes are not just for Super Hero's
  • Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 173
  • therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 04:39:33 PM »
You may have a bad reset key switch. Try a couple alligator clip jumpers and touch them to simulate key turn (remove a reel for easy access). Also trace the wires from the switch down, they may be disconnected near MB
Thank Ya Thank Ya Very Much.

the rockin elvis

Offline Jasonmichael

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2016, 04:41:01 PM »
You may have a bad reset key switch. Try a couple alligator clip jumpers and touch them to simulate key turn (remove a reel for easy access). Also trace the wires from the switch down, they may be disconnected near MB

My mistake.  The first photo was the reset key connection.  I added it back in and it worked fine then I realized I'd forgotten a molex and that was the button deck molex.  Taking that apart (again) now to investigate.  More to come!

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal