New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Sound Issues... round 2  (Read 4781 times)

Offline SilverFerret

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • SilverFerret New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Sound Issues... round 2
« on: April 24, 2014, 08:11:30 AM »
Some of you may recall that I've had some weird sound issues on my Game Maker where some of the sounds are present and some have disappeared. For instance, when I make a bet, I hear a ding (as I should) but when the cards where dealt (in video poker) I wouldn't hear the dealing cards sound. In keno as the numbers are drawn I would hear nothing but when a chosen number was hit, I would hear the ding that I was supposed to....
On to round 2...
Same issue but now some of the sounds that were missing last time are back and other sounds that were there are now missing. For instance I hear the card dealing sound but no longer hear the sound when a chosen keno number is hit.
It was working fine for a few month and I'm not sure what I did to fixed it last time. I did clean whatever contacts I could and tried to move the EPROMs a bit to hopefully scrape off any build up that may be making a contact issue.
I'll try the same thing but does anyone have an idea about this that I haven't tried?
Thanks, Jim
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 04:57:47 AM by Ron (r273) »

Offline dextrose42

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • dextrose42 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: Sound Issues... round 2
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 08:28:28 AM »
Does the rom check pass in the diagnostic menu?  That might track down which chip isn't talking correctly.  Could be bad /dirty chip sockets or chip legs.  If the legs are black they would need cleaned.     

Offline SilverFerret

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 11:51:53 AM »
Everything seems to pass the test but the sounds. I did the Eprom test and the mains and games all passed. Only when I go to the sound test and touch each of the sounds, only some make sound. The ones that don't are:
Button
Service
Tilt
Reel Spin
Number Match
Number Pick and
Tone
I lifted and replaced all the game Eproms and the mains but no change.
Thanks, Jim

Offline dextrose42

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 12:06:18 PM »
Did it take a lot of force to get the chips out of the socket?  If you can pull the chips out with just your fingers, the sockets are "bad".  I've  also seen legs getting folded over or missing the socket entirely when people reseat them.

Offline SilverFerret

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 03:32:57 PM »
IMO all the sockets seem fine and hold the EProms snug as they should be and all the legs are fine. It's odd because the sound issues span multiple games, not just any one in particular.
Thanks, Jim

Offline SilverFerret

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 07:25:07 PM »
Okay, apparently it must have something to do with the mains. I had cleared the machine, lifted and pressed down the game chips and the mains with no results. I even changed a couple of games that I thought might be suspect and nothing. It wasn't until I lifted the mains all the way out and sprayed contact cleaner in the sockets that the issue was corrected. This is the second time I've had this issue and I don't understand why all of a sudden after owning the machine for about four years without issue.
Hope it helps someone.
Thanks, Jim

Offline SilverFerret

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 05:58:53 PM »
After much trial and error, I may have  zeroed it in a little closer but not sure. Anyone know what this chip does? Seems every time I turn on the machine, I have to pull this chip and spray contact cleaner in the socket to get the sounds back. I'm stumped but it seems the mains aren't the issue at this point.
Thanks, Jim

Offline dextrose42

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 07:25:42 AM »
Thats your sound generator.  The tones / music it makes is code stored in the mains.  You are looking at either a bad chip or bad socket -- I'm leaning toward bad socket, especially if it works part of the time.

More info at:
http://cube.gfxile.net/t/index.php?page=journal&journal=YM2149F
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Instrument_AY-3-8910

Offline SilverFerret

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 08:08:25 AM »
Okay, if that's narrowed down, the next question is... how does a socket go bad? I had never touched the chip until having the sound issues. Would it be worth replacing the chip first to see if the chip is the issue or are they expensive and hard to find. If the socket is bad, does it mean replacing the whole board?
Thanks, Jim

Offline dextrose42

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 08:55:41 AM »
Depending on the type of socket the socket pins lose tension, the solder is cracking on the board that holds the socket in place, or there is contamination in the socket pins -- the metal oxidizes and then gets bad connection and the contact cleaner may only be partially removing the oxidation. 

Check for cracked solder, replace just the socket, try putting mounting the chip in a new machine pin socket and putting that into the current socket to see if it grips any better.

There is a chance that the pins on the chip are damaged and that would go back to either replace the chip or put it into a machine pin socket and solder it together to act as a carrier....

I quick search for that part number makes it look like it may not be trivial to track down a replacement.  There are some random arcade parts houses that may have them, but I think the last time I had to replace one I ended up having to find a different video game board to steal one off of....

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 305
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 06:01:40 PM »
A AY38910 will also work.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline SilverFerret

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 06:11:24 PM »
I looked at the board and don't see any issue with the socket but it's probably something the eye can't see. I'm more willing to try to replace a chip before trying to replace a socket or lastly the board. I'll post in the classifieds for those chips and see what responses I get.
Thanks dextrose42 and Badbaud,
Jim

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 305
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 06:24:00 PM »
Usually removing the chip from the socket and cleaning it's legs with a pink eraser will also clean the socket when the chip is reinserted and let the chip work.

In most cases you don't have to remove the IC completely.

Raising up a IC partially out of a socket, first on one end, then back in, then on the other end, then back in, has got a board to work for me many times.

There is a term called "dissimilar metal contact" when you have tin legs plugged into a socket the metal contacting area tends to oxidize and eventually cause a electrically bad connection.

Moving the IC up and down in the socket usually fixes the problem.

I hate the tooled sockets that Bally used, just trying to get the IC pins back into the socket holes is a PITA.

Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline SilverFerret

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 11:46:54 AM »
Believe me, I've done all that. I have a new chip on the way to try that first and I'll keep trying to get this one to work until the new one arrives.
Thanks, Jim

Offline SilverFerret

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 06:07:51 PM »
Not quite sure if I'm ready to write this off as topic solved (I will anyway) but I received a new sound chip today and replaced the existing one and everything seems to be working properly.
Thanks, Jim

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal