New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Error Code [61]  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 410
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Error Code [61]
« on: December 05, 2019, 03:01:57 PM »
This is a 1st....lol

I have an S+ 3cm Black Tie game.
Walked up to it and it had a [61] on the display.
I opened the door and held the test button for 3 seconds....nothing happening.
I held it longer, still nothing.

Put the MPU in another known good cabinet/motherboard, still stuck on the [61]
Threw in a Clear chip in the Game PROM socket and I get a bell sound and two zeros in the display as normal when Clear chipping an S+, but the test button doesn't start the Clear program.

I then threw the chips into another MPU and it worked fine...will also Clear when I tried it too.
Sooo, I installed everything back into the problem board and the problem persists.

No bent pins, I de-oxidized all pins, battery checks out good, chips check out good. Even switched MPU trays. :cool_thumb_up:
What is going on with this board - I cannot figure it out? :scratch-head_2:
I've NEVER had this problem before - like I said, it's a 1st! lol

« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 11:55:12 AM by Stayouttadabunker »
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 268
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Error Code [61]
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 04:19:53 PM »
And you're the resident PRO here on the S plus! You been drinkin" ??  :vodka:  :bottles2:
Anything on the actual MPU contacts, where it plugs in?
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

• Topic Moderator
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 05:39:55 PM »
haha...haven't had a drink in 20 yrs but this one might get me started again!  :rotfl:
I have to peruse some schematics for sure and see if I can trace the problem.
I'm sure some IC component went out of specs or there's a weak link in a trace.

MPU will NOT respond to the test button switch.
I have to check along those traces for a possible broken one back from the motherboard connection pins to an onboard component.

I have some drawings spread out in front me...lol
Watching a hockey game at the same time...multi-tasking
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 07:01:29 PM by Stayouttadabunker »

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 09:39:34 AM »
 :Eating_Popcorn:

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 12:29:33 PM »
okay...inspecting traces and stuff on this board, I realize that this MPU board is a different version from the one in the schematics.
I have the newer version.

I had to follow/trace the test switch harness wire (Yellow w/grey stripe) back to thru the motherboard pins into the MPU.
This is where it becomes different.

On the schematics, the [19b] pin shows running  trace to the RP5 DIP Net resistor chip's #8 leg.
Of course, my MPU version has it running to an entirely different [RPxx] chip.
The downloaded Marshall Fey (Liberty Bell) schematics in the NLG File System are pretty much useless, unless you're using only the oldest S+ MPU versions.
There is another diagnostic manual/schematic that I have but that also only has the oldest S+ MPU drawings in it also.

What I need to do now I suppose, is find a drawing of the questionable [RPxx] chip and see what I need to do to check it to see if it's any good before I decide to cut it off the board and micro-solder in another one in its place.

That's ONLY the beginning of this part of digging around....I'm sure there's much more to check into AFTER the RP chip.
I wish I had access to an igt s+ tester unit to see if it's capable of pinpointing a problem IC component along the this line.
As far as I can tell (by using my multi-meter to check for continuity), all on-board traces seem to been intact (no breaks or open lines).
It does appear to me that the problem lies with an stuck/out of spec IC component....but to figure out which one it would be is quite a mind-boggling task without a MPU tester I would think.
If anyone has any suggestion as how to figure out which IC could be bad, or which direction I should take, I'm all ears.

I did find this in the other S+ manual which may help...>>>

« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 04:49:08 PM by Stayouttadabunker »

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 05:13:15 PM »
Bad test switch??
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 08:04:29 AM »
Bad test switch??

I put the problem MPU into a different cabinet and it doesn't work in there either.

Only when I swap the chips [SP & SS] onto a different MPU, does everything work.

The momentary test switch opens/closes fine in both cabinets, according to multi-meter.

This pinpoints the problem laying on this MPU somewhere.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 09:51:18 AM »
Alan has an S plus tester. Can you make a quick run to Las Vegas?

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 11:08:42 AM »
I'm jumping on the plane in the morning!  :rotfl:

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 03:13:45 PM »
What does the +Vb read? Run some jumpers from the MPU board +Vb to a meter then plug in MPU board and read voltage.
Also check for a hair line crack in the SIP resistor PAK.

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 08:46:11 AM »
All the chips look okay physically (on the outside of the devices) in that area where the test switch enters the MPU from the motherboard @19b actually - I don't see any cracks when looking under magnifying lamp.

Not knowing anything about the CTS9650's, I'm guessing the red trace is running to the 8th or 14th leg on RP3? ( I  googled this chip package...seems like it's obselete)

I'm not clear on what you mean by "SIP" components Badbaud.

I'm guessing you might mean the yellow ones @ locations RP1, RP7, and RP8 next to the R1-R9 bank of reel resistors?

I think SIP means "single inline package" as compared to DIP's?

Or the aqua ones [CTS9650] at locations RP2-RP5? I think these are DIP's though.

Anyhow, I don't see any cracks in them.

Checking for Vb is a mystery...I don't what voltage I'm looking for and where.
I should just send this board off to ya....haha
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 07:34:05 PM by Stayouttadabunker »

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 03:09:51 PM »
Yes, the yellow ones. Pin 1 is common (small dot) on a SIP.
The +Vb tranzorb on the MPU board is marked "+Vb"on one leg and "Vb gnd" on the other leg.
The Tranzorb is a over voltage protection device that looks like a large black diode.

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 05:30:39 PM »
Okay thanks...I soldered back on the battery and threw in a couple of chips.
There's diodes all around the 4 main caps but only one that has anything remotely to "+Vb".

The diode at location [D2] has "BGND" etched onto the circuit board at the cathode end of it in the photo below.

I get roughly 9.8Vdc when powered up using my multi-meter grounded to the hopper pad

The other diode at Location D3 has zero volts on either leg...nada

As far as SIP's....there's 8 of them on the board.
Each one has the small square imprinted on them at one end which I can assume is common.
I will await your advice on how to check them later.

Click on photo below to enlarge if needed...>>>

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 06:10:00 PM »
Vb uses chassis ground, the other diode uses logic ground and is the Tranzorb to protect the 5V logic regulator.
If you put your leads across the 5V Tranzorb you should read 5VDC.
Your +Vb is fine, was hoping it read low.
Not sure the schematic you provided matches the board components.
What is the part number of your board?

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 06:22:33 PM »
ASSY NO. 7550570
Schematics are older than dirt.... :rotfl: Was grounding multi-meter on chassis...
I will read [D3] diode and see what I get.  :scratch-head_2:

:sherlock: Okay just tried it.

I got 4.92Vdc with (-) probe between battery ground and
the (+) of multi-meter is on the anode (striped) leg of [D3] "tranzsorb".

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2019, 06:58:03 PM »
I'll check my master stack of schematics tomorrow at the shop.

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2019, 03:17:01 PM »
Here is the schematic for your board.
If the 1M resistor in RP5 is not open (Ohmmeter across RP5 pins 8 & 6) then the input port on U6 pin 14 may be bad and U6 may be bad.

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2019, 03:21:24 PM »
Awesome...I knew I was poking around in the right area....lol thanks man!  :yourock:

ugh....the trace from the 19b leg doesn't go to RP5....it goes directly to leg 8 of RP3.
You'll see it in my photo in Reply #10.

Just for kicks, I checked out pin19a....this trace is the right-most trace of three traces that runs under the middle of RP4.
 I think you and I have the same other schematics (June 18, 1993) I didn't post here.

I think I'm just gunna start cutting off RP4-5 and U6 and replace them with others from a part board.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 03:47:04 PM by Stayouttadabunker »

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2019, 06:59:39 PM »
Fingers crossed, do the IC before killing a R PAK.

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2019, 08:24:01 PM »
I didn't rip off anything yet but instead pulled out my multi-meter again.

I get a reading of 1.226 Ohms steady resistance across legs 8 (negative probe) and leg 6(positive probe) on RP3 on this board without machine power nor onboard battery - it's not closed.

From there, at leg 6, continuity runs out to leg 14 on U6.
The old schematics we're using shows the same leg 14 being traced to on U6.
It also shows U6 utilizing only 14 legs out of a possible 16....lol

Can you advise me on how to test this chip? (MC14021BCP  FWU9650)
I think it's an 8-bit PDIP ....>>> https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/308/mc14014b-d-1192999.pdf
All I know is VDD goes in at pin 16...bottom left leg in photo below.
I'm sticking a logic probe on another known good MPU and see if I can get some comparison readings when hitting the Test SW.  :sherlock:

Below is updated continuity drawing from Reply #10.
Click on photo to enlarge if needed...>>>
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 10:17:03 PM by Stayouttadabunker »

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal