New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: model s all reels sputter during reel test  (Read 1248 times)

Offline puckhead

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
model s all reels sputter during reel test
« on: February 18, 2020, 08:48:37 AM »
model s, mpu on cabinet side, no BV. it presented with a code 47, which isnt even listed. reels spin freely when off, and all stiffen up and have that stepper feel when on.  i did a ram clear and all goes well until you hold down the test button a few seconds to get the reels to spin.  they never spin up. they all move about one symbol, stop, move another symbol, stop.  this happens a few times till it throws a reel code. could be 41, 42, or 43. havent seen the code 47 since i cleared it.  moving the reels around was no help. reseated all connections, battery strong at 3.6v.   lifting the handle three times starts a new reel test every time , same result. once in a while they spin for a second or so at the correct speed,looks like its on its way,  then stop and sputter as above. thats about 1 out of 10-15 times. no loose coins or mouse piss.  im stumped. ps- game chip is 731

thanks

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 300
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: model s all reels sputter during reel test
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 09:00:09 AM »
If the mpu is mounted on the side, then you could have an early S+ machine, the S model had the board mounted in the back and had three connectors going to it.  check the flags on the reel baskets,  make sure there isn't one that is broken off.  the flags are the plastic cut outs that go between the optics on the reel assembly,  the machine uses these flags to know where the reel is physically.

pictures would help id your machine! 

if you can get into the test diagnostics you can get to test #4, this will test the reels, also an individual test for the reel optics.

JIm

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 410
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 10:51:50 AM »
I just wanted to say that your description of "...and have that stepper feel when on...." is the best description of what I'm trying to find out from beginners when they have problems with their machines!  :applause:

oh...and error code [47] is definitely a reel error code - it refers to intermittent and/or insufficient power amperage going to the reels.
Usually the cause is a bad ground coming from the PS harness towards the bottom backplane/motherboard.

Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline puckhead

• puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 10:52:32 AM »
here is video of the reel spin   
<a href="http://youtu.be/S6KfAqwlrRo" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtu.be/S6KfAqwlrRo</a>

pic attached.

no broken tabs/flags on the reels.  i noticed in the video the zero in coins played seems to blink in sequence with the reel sputter.

thanks
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 04:13:12 PM by shortrackskater »

• Topic Moderator
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 10:58:18 AM »
I just watched your video....can you turn off the power and remove the MPU?
I suspect that your MPU is a 16Mhz using 10Mhz chips.
That's what causes the reels to act like that.

Need a good picture of your chips in the two sockets [Reel] and [Game]
I want to see the jumpers next to the sockets too
You have an early S+.

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline puckhead

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 10:59:39 AM »
interesting. i'll pull the board and take a pic. anything i can see to determine this??

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 11:03:05 AM »
Yes...see if you can see what the writing on the chips are.
I want to see their sizes.
We may have to switch the socket jumpers.
But do NOT switch the jumpers until I get to see the chip sizes or you'll ruin them.

Can I ask? Did this just start recently?
I need some history.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 11:58:10 AM by Stayouttadabunker »

Offline puckhead

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 11:22:44 AM »
game prom 27c512
reel prom 2764A

no history.  was given to the owner. has a sticker on it from coinopwarehouse.

thanks

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 11:49:38 AM »
OMG! Do NOT put that board back in!
Wrong chip near the dip switches!!!!!

The paper is all browning out under the writing of "SS4252 SP0932"
Can you peel off the paper?
We NEED to see what the heck chip is under that!

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 241
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 11:53:14 AM »
OMG! Do NOT put that board back in!
Wrong chip near the dip switches!!!!!
I saw that!  :Scratch-Head:  Remove that label and see what chip that is!

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2020, 11:56:21 AM »
Yes ...that socket [U49] should have an "AY38912/P" sound chip!

The numbers don't have to be exactly the same but it MUST begin with "AY"

Also, turn on the 4th dip switch....better for home play and use.
1,2,3 and 4 should be "On"

Offline puckhead

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 12:11:53 PM »
thats what it has

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 12:23:56 PM »
Press the white button until you get a 4 in coins played (about 11x)  Post what 4 digit numbers are flashing in credit and winner paid windows.  That will be the SS and SP numbers installed.

Offline puckhead

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2020, 12:46:49 PM »
731   3634

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2020, 01:01:03 PM »
At this point, the best thing to do is to send that board out to sixcardmark for inspection of the reel driver chips onboard.
Some IC has went outta specs.
Could be something as simple as a triac or diode.

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2020, 01:17:10 PM »
Yes, those two chips should run fine together.

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2020, 01:49:04 PM »
At least his chips are for a 10Mhz MPU - which he has.
I still suspect either bad reel drivers or faulty chip data.
If you get it in your shop Six, would you let us know what it was?  :thank_you:
I wanna see how far I'm off...haha

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 300
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2020, 02:10:12 PM »
Since you can get into the test mode, go back to test#4  and press the spin button, it should spin the reels and stop on the jackpot symbols.  you can also go to the input tests  (#1 in the coins played window)  use the change button to advance through the until you get to 40_X, this is the reel input number one to the cpu, move the #1 reel basket in either direction, eventually you will see the number toggle to either a zero or a one, if it does this as you rotate the basket,  then go to 41_x and repeat, then do 42_x and repeat, this will check reels 2 and 3.  this will test the reel optic and wiring back to the cpu.

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=18866.0

see the flip card diagnostic cards, see card #5   input tests.

with a 731 chip you can scroll through the menu using the bet 1 button and the bet max button (also explained in the cards)  once you get to a menu, use the change button to scroll through that menu. 

you can test every feature of this machine using those tests, plus it explains all the settings etc.

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline puckhead

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2020, 10:08:06 AM »
i got lucky and bought another s plus. installing those reels in the troublesome game got it working. i thought i could swap them out one at a time to find the bad one, but there might be more than one.   my head spins when ever i look at those flip cards for testing.  is it possible to make one reel at a time spin in test mode? also, i see you can move the reels by hand and observe the optics changing.  its possible the the reels plugs arent in the correct reels, thought i think they are.  if anyone can give me the prees button info for the above tests, it would be a big help. then i could also look back at the flip cards and get the hang of how they work. its a 731 chip
thanks

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2020, 08:30:14 PM »
Keep fooling around with the cards...after a while you won't even need 'em and no...there's isn't a test to spin only a single reel...only to check the optics...

The longest one with mostly red wires go to the far right reel on the harness...otherwise known as Reel #3,

The one with mostly brown wires goes to the middle reel ( Known as Reel #2) and I'll let you guess where the other one goes....lol

I'm a smartass sometimes.  :duh: :Crazy: :Tongue_Out:

Hey, did you try the good reels from the new machine in the problem cabinet?
If they still go "chitty, chitty, bang, bang"with the good reels...then I"ll bet you a quarter it's the reel drivers on the problem MPU.

Wait ......I said that before? feels like deja vu lol

Congrats on getting a new baby brother for that S+! They're known to  multiply at night if you shut off the lights somehow!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 11:36:21 PM by Stayouttadabunker »

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal