New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: IGT s2000 running WITHOUT any batteries  (Read 1913 times)

Offline ItsaSlotMachine

• It's A Slot Machine
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • ItsaSlotMachine Is working their way up.ItsaSlotMachine Is working their way up.ItsaSlotMachine Is working their way up.
  • I'm a slot machine
    • Atypical Girl
IGT s2000 running WITHOUT any batteries
« on: February 28, 2020, 03:02:37 PM »
Note: I am unsure what the appropriate thread is for this topic

I just saw a video of a person playing their s2000 and then when they pulled out the MPU board it didn’t have the green Verta or coin battery. I was pretty surprised and wondering how one might do this?

https://youtu.be/YCcpvlTM77E
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 09:31:01 AM by shortrackskater »
Slot Machines and more slot machines! Instagram: @itsaslotmachine

My latest adventure:
https://m.facebook.com/AnAtypicalGirl/

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
Re: IGT s2000 running WITHOUT any batteries
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 03:12:00 PM »
The battery is installed under the mpu.  It would have been all over the tech slot forums if he had really found a way.

The varta battery is not needed and most of use remove the battery as part of our machine restoration steps to avoid future damage to the mpu.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline pinshoppe

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • pinshoppe New User has no influence.
  • NLG
    • The Pinball Shoppe
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 03:40:54 PM »
That is very curious.  I did notice that where the coin cell was, the solder joints were filled.  Call me skeptical but im wondering if there isnt a battery soldered on the underside of the board and hes pulling our leg. :Scratch-Head:

Online lookes

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 27
  • lookes New User barely matters.lookes New User barely matters.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 04:20:27 PM »
RAM chips replaced with NVRAM chips?
I Repair IGT 50X, 1270, 039, 044, and S+ MPU's. Contact me at slots@lookelectronics.com for more information.

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 240
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 04:41:34 PM »
The battery is installed under the mpu.  It would have been all over the tech slot forums if he had really found a way.

The varta battery is not needed and most of use remove the battery as part of our machine restoration steps to avoid future damage to the mpu.
:I_agree_1: :yes:  :agreepost:

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 05:43:46 PM »

NVRAM chips is what all these machines use, that is why they require batteries to make them "NON-Volatile". Flash nands are also "NVRAM" by the very definition but it's not like you can just replace the older style battery backed ram with newer style nvram without support circuitry and logic to manage it.  The plain simple fact is that there is probably a battery soldered on the other side of the mpu board that is not visible. 
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Retro tech repair

• Reputation Power: 81
  • Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 08:30:30 PM »
That is my video there is an un populated diode and resistor that if you populate it bypasses the error you have to do the ram clear every time you boot the machine tho.

• Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 08:31:59 PM »
The parts are listed as optional on the 50x schematic.

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 08:36:04 PM »

NVRAM chips is what all these machines use, that is why they require batteries to make them "NON-Volatile". Flash nands are also "NVRAM" by the very definition but it's not like you can just replace the older style battery backed ram with newer style nvram without support circuitry and logic to manage it.  The plain simple fact is that there is probably a battery soldered on the other side of the mpu board that is not visible.

Nvram do not need batteries. S2000 uses an sram or static ram.

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 08:58:05 PM »
That's awesome vtyler!  :cool_thumb_up:
Could you explain how we could do this mod?
It could be a sticky on which IC's we need to solder in.
I like messing around with my stuff!! lol

When you said "50x", did you mean it as like a 504 MPU for example?
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 09:05:58 PM »
That's awesome vtyler!  :cool_thumb_up:
Could you explain how we could do this mod?
I like messing around with my stuff!! lol

The mpu schematics available in the download section says exactly what parts to put where its not a mod its a option that was never populated on the boards. I originally posted this on the old .net site but everyone deemed it useless I haven’t built a board with these populated in a long time most my customers didn’t want to go through the process every time they turned it on just wanted to replace a battery every so often.

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 09:09:03 PM »
50x refers to all the 500 boards 501-504 I think the only difference is on the 504 boards igt fixed there faulty grounding issues for the on board sound amp “what causes the hum in the pre 504 boards”.

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2020, 07:44:57 AM »
vtyler,
Could you figure out a way we could use a rechargeable lithium cell?
Or could this be a bad idea due to non-existent charging unit and charging shut-off components?

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2020, 07:50:54 AM »
vtyler,
Could you figure out a way we could use a rechargeable lithium cell?
Or could this be a bad idea due to non-existent charging unit and charging shut-off components?

I actually was working on that before i quit working on slots. It should be possible using a third party charge controller for the battery. using a super capacitor may also be an option similar to what they are doing to old pinball machines. Sadly after closing my slot shop I rarely get time to tinker on the slots much.

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2020, 08:55:24 AM »
Oh okay thanks.
Maybe I'll figure out a way.
Tinkering is what I do best... :rotfl:

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2020, 09:18:17 AM »
Oh okay thanks.
Yep thats the main reason i got into slot work. I have over 60 s2ks, one of them i have booting off a sound simm.

Offline ItsaSlotMachine

• It's A Slot Machine
  • ItsaSlotMachine Is working their way up.ItsaSlotMachine Is working their way up.ItsaSlotMachine Is working their way up.
  • I'm a slot machine
    • Atypical Girl
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2020, 11:08:30 PM »
Oh okay thanks.
Yep thats the main reason i got into slot work. I have over 60 s2ks, one of them i have booting off a sound simm.

That is so impressive! I saw your video on YouTube and I’m Space Cadet Wannabe. You really do have some amazing technical skills, Where did you learn how to do all this? I would love to learn because I am starting to get into circuitry since I do follow the STEM community on Twitter. 

My latest adventure:

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2020, 10:10:14 AM »
Oh okay thanks.

That is so impressive! I saw your video on YouTube and I’m Space Cadet Wannabe. You really do have some amazing technical skills, Where did you learn how to do all this? I would love to learn because I am starting to get into circuitry since I do follow the STEM community on Twitter.

I don’t consider myself that highly skilled there are a lot of intelligent people on this form i have learned a lot from different members. I actually don’t have any official training after a us high school diploma. Most of my knowledge with electronics came because i used to work for an ewaste facility the owner would let me take certain things home(servers, computers, game consoles, and old arcade games). Most the time these items were none functional so i had to fix them. If the parts we too expensive I decided to try and fix the parts i had. Because of this i spent a lot of time reading service manuals, chip documentation, and when available board schematics. Now i watch a lot of YouTube repair videos.

Offline ItsaSlotMachine

• It's A Slot Machine
  • I'm a slot machine
    • Atypical Girl
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2020, 01:50:42 PM »
What a neat hobby that you fixed up old electronics. There must have been a few slot machines in the E-waste pile at some point lol. You are smart to read service Manuel’s and watch YouTube videos. I might start doing that if I do stumble across some old electronics to tinker with

My latest adventure:

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2020, 05:33:28 AM »
I stand corrected!  Learned something new today !

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal