New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Working(?) VFD but NO DISP Shown on LED Display  (Read 1667 times)

Offline jtwine

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • jtwine New User has no influence.
  • Geek Gamer
    • My Blog Site
Working(?) VFD but NO DISP Shown on LED Display
« on: March 25, 2021, 05:53:31 AM »
So I have been searching through both the main site and the archives and have not do not think I have stumbled upon this exact problem.  For no apparent reason, my S2000 has started showing NO DISP on the LED display and is otherwise unresponsive. 

History: my first S2000, purchased recently.  Battery corrosion arrested (hopefully), Varta battery removed, coin cell replaced with a CR2032 holder and replaceable battery.  Bought a BettorSlots TITO unit and installed it successfully, but the system seems to reject tickets.  Removed BV and cleaned heads and sensors, replaced.  Then the trouble started.

Symptoms: The VFD display appears to start up correctly and passes its self test, but then sits there for a little bit and never goes to the memory test content.  Instead, it eventually goes blank after about 20-30 seconds (it does NOT display a NETPLEX error), the BV cycles, the reels spin to the last game's positions, and then nothing except NO DISP on the LEDs, cycling between that and the number of credits last played.  BV can be heard "twitching" every few seconds.  No button deck lights.  Seems unresponsive to both the test button and the attendant key (I tried navigating the menus blind to get to auto-configuring the NETPLEX devices, but nothing seemed to happen because the BV did not cycle again.

What I have tried (which made no difference):
  • Reseating the BV
  • Removing the BV entirely
  • Reseating the Bill Box (figured, why not?)
  • Removing the Bill Box entirely
  • Reseating the Power Supply
  • Reseating the Printer
  • Removing the Printer entirely
  • Reseating the cables related to the VFD
  • Reseating the MPU board (while it is disconnected the VFD will show a NETPLEX error after the self test)
  • Tightened screws at the BV's connector because they were loose
  • Opening and closing the main door (and latching it) multiple times before and after each item above
Also note that there is no hopper in this machine.

I am going to try disconnecting the BV's connector from the harness when I get back to the machine later today, JIC something is wonky with the connector itself.

I am reluctant to try a clear key because with no display it will be difficult for me to navigate the menus.  I am also reluctant to pull the battery because if it is really not responding to the attendant key, I could be stuck at the RAM ERROR tilt and now have two problems.  I am currently looking for a replacement MPU just in case, but would appreciate any other ideas if anyone has any.

Nothing appears smoked on the MPU board, but I am going to print out some schematics and start working through the NETPLEX-related components if no other ideas come up.

Anyone got something I might have missed?

Thanks!

Peace!

-=- James.

-=- James R. Twine
Google me for more info.

Offline RB

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 351
  • RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Working(?) VFD but NO DISP Shown on LED Display
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 06:43:59 AM »
Any fault in the netplex circuit can cause the no disp on the 7 segment LCD. A faulty BV, or printer or installing one with the wrong firmware or protocol commonly causes it. How about the VFD itself and/or the controller? Try swapping those if you have any.
Quality doesn't cost. It pays.

Offline jtwine

• Geek Gamer
    • My Blog Site
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 07:04:40 AM »
Any fault in the netplex circuit can cause the no disp on the 7 segment LCD. A faulty BV, or printer or installing one with the wrong firmware or protocol commonly causes it. How about the VFD itself and/or the controller? Try swapping those if you have any.
I might not have been clear enough in my post, but everything was working correctly (read: the game ran and played, the BV accepted bills, credited appropriately, and I could cash out via ticket) prior to my cleaning the BV because it was not accepting tickets.  No components were swapped and no firmware changes were made.  I do not have any spares to swap with (yet), but I am working on that.

If any fault could could cause the NO DISP issue, what are some examples that would not have been caught in the steps I already tried?

Thanks!

Peace!

-=- James.

-=- James R. Twine
Google me for more info.

Offline Retro tech repair

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 81
  • Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 07:51:57 AM »
Depending on your sg chips No disp will not shut down the game. As stated start checking all netplex devices. Un plug printer disconnect the bill acceptor. You can try replacing the vfd or its driver if you have a 2 piece vfd. Also check the wires running to it and accost the door hinge. Just because it sees the signal from the mpu and can display data doesn’t mean its transmitting back to the mpu. If the display is saying netplex link down then the display is faulty or the harness is damaged. Netplex link down is not a machine error its a display error. That error is will show even if the display is powered up not connected to the machine.

Offline jtwine

• Geek Gamer
    • My Blog Site
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 09:14:03 AM »

... As stated start checking all netplex devices. Un plug printer disconnect the bill acceptor.  ...  Also check the wires running to it and accost the door hinge.
From the original post:
What I have tried (which made no difference):
  • Reseating the BV
  • Removing the BV entirely
  • Reseating the Bill Box (figured, why not?)
  • Removing the Bill Box entirely
  • Reseating the Power Supply
  • Reseating the Printer
  • Removing the Printer entirely
  • Reseating the cables related to the VFD
  • [/l][/l]

If the display is saying netplex link down then the display is faulty or the harness is damaged. Netplex link down is not a machine error its a display error. That error is will show even if the display is powered up not connected to the machine.

From the original post:
... Instead, it eventually goes blank after about 20-30 seconds (it does NOT display a NETPLEX error) ... Reseating the MPU board (while it is disconnected the VFD will show a NETPLEX error after the self test)

You can try replacing the vfd or its driver if you have a 2 piece vfd.

I am looking into what spares to get, thanks.

Peace!

-=- James.
[/list]
-=- James R. Twine
Google me for more info.

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 06:09:50 PM »
A bad MPU board can also cause a NO DISP error.

Offline jtwine

• Geek Gamer
    • My Blog Site
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 06:57:30 AM »
A bad MPU board can also cause a NO DISP error.

Thanks.  A replacement board is one of the things I am looking into, maybe even moving to an enhanced with a matching backplane if possible.

Peace!

-=- James.
-=- James R. Twine
Google me for more info.

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 410
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 07:05:01 AM »
This clue you pointed out...>>>"BV can be heard "twitching" every few seconds" makes me think something is wrong with the MPU board as well.

But there's no getting around that you will have to learn how to fully navigate the settings to get your machine up and running again when you replace the board and swap the chips....make sure you get a clear and key chips to help get it going.
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline jtwine

• Geek Gamer
    • My Blog Site
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 08:26:55 AM »
This clue you pointed out...>>>"BV can be heard "twitching" every few seconds" makes me think something is wrong with the MPU board as well.
But there's no getting around that you will have to learn how to fully navigate the settings to get your machine up and running again when you replace the board and swap the chips....make sure you get a clear and key chips to help get it going.
Thanks for that.  Makes me feel better about going after a replacement board. 
I have a full set of Key and Clear/IVC chips and have used both before on this machine.  I am pretty sure I can find a document somewhere that would allow me to blindly navigate the menus/process for what I need to do to recover from an RAM ERROR tilt, just in case the replacement board does not automagically detect the display on its own.

Peace!

-=- James.
-=- James R. Twine
Google me for more info.

Offline Retro tech repair

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 81
  • Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 08:35:56 AM »

clear and key should not be needed after board swap. processor board id miss match is cleared the same as ram error after changing a battery.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal