New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Fooler or no Fooler???  (Read 400 times)

Offline Pinaddicted

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 17
  • Pinaddicted New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Fooler or no Fooler???
« on: March 07, 2024, 09:17:06 PM »
Hi All

I’m just trying to be able to play games that are looking for a Top Box.  A friend has a BB2e w/emotive controller and WMS logo topper that plays all those games. He does not have a fooler board!!!

My cabinet used to be a BB2e, but someone decided to rob it of the top screen trim w/light and the emotive controller. I have those 2 pieces ordered along with a WMS logo topper. It does have the bottom light, emotive controller harness, and all the CAT5 cables though.

From what I see in pictures it looks like there are 3 connections on those toppers, I assume they are the candle, center WMS light, and outer ring of lights. (mine hasn’t been delivered yet)

The Million Dollar question is…. What parts in the BB2e is fooling the CPU into thinking it has a Top Box???  Nobody seems to be able to answer that question definitively. (in a way that I understand anyway)

The more I investigate this subject, I’m thinking maybe the USB between the emotive controller and the CPU is the magic combination, (just a guess) or does that just control the emotive lights?

I did go ahead and pay the ridiculous ($180) price for a fooler board, but I don’t have it yet.

Can someone clarify all this topper/fooler stuff for me?

Thanks!!!

Mark

Offline Ash100

• NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 67
  • Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!
  • NLG
Re: Fooler or no Fooler???
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2024, 04:13:54 AM »
Hello,

I'll see if I can help you out some by answering your questions, but first, I'd like to know what game(s) you are trying to play that give you a Top Box error.

If it's Wizard of Oz, Ruby Slippers, then that one does not require a Fooler Board, but the Top Box must be disabled in the initial set up process. As the original game used both monitors and a special Light Box that surrounded the upper LCD. That's the part that's considered a Top Box.

There are other WMS games that used only a special Top Box without an additional LCD. The game was played on a single monitor (the Main lower LCD). Those games would require the use of a Fooler Board ot TSE TSE Board as they're commonly called.

The TSE TSE will have it's own CF Card that will emulate the Top Box being present for the game to function properly. It basically fools the machine into thinking that all of the required equipment is in place.

Most times, the seller of the software will inform you if that game requires a Fooler Card, and will include it in the package. Therefore you'll receive 3 CF Cards with the purchase. A Game Card, an OS Card and  a Fooler Card.

I hope this helps you out some.

The Emotive Lighting System will consist of the upper and lower Lighted Shroud Assemblies, 4 Cat5 Cables, a Controller, a USB Cable and a Power Cable. It sounds like you've got a handle on that.

As far as the Topper is concerned,  I can't really say. I've never installed one on a Bluebird cabinet.

Curtis ash100
Eat 'till you're tired, Sleep 'till you're hungry

Offline Pinaddicted

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2024, 07:23:14 AM »
Thanks for the info Ash

I'm aware of the special setting for WOZ ruby slippers, that's not the issue.

One game for example that I'm referring to is Lord of the Rings - Mordor. (transmissive) The machine is looking for a Top Box in setup and won't load completely. I can't remember the exact error... something about top box communication or something similar to that. The friend with a BB2e and WMS topper can load and play that game, and similar ones with no issues.

Is there something in a BB2e that bypasses that error?

Thanks

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2024, 08:00:57 AM »
That game you're talking about is looking for a lightbox, as in the 1st photo below.
It may also belooking for a progressive display as well? I'm not sure.
It's too bad you didn't tell us what part #'s are on your CF game card...and your OS card.
Members would be able to tell you for sure what you can do with your software.
If it's not a WAP game card, then your friend's BB2e machine probably has a Tsetse board in it with the appropiate fooler CF card.
Without the appropiate fooler programmed card, the Tsetse board won't help.

A BB2e has two LED lights...one on top and bottom of the machine.
It cannot do what a Tsetse board does.

The 2nd photo below is a picture of two bluebird machines.
One of them is a BB2, and the other one is a BB2e...the "e" on the end of BB2 stands for "Emotive Lighting"...>>>
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Pinaddicted

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2024, 09:07:39 AM »
That game you're talking about is looking for a lightbox, as in the 1st photo below.
It may also belooking for a progressive display as well? I'm not sure.
It's too bad you didn't tell us what part #'s are on your CF game card...and your OS card.
Members would be able to tell you for sure what you can do with your software.
If it's not a WAP game card, then your friend's BB2e machine probably has a Tsetse board in it with the appropiate fooler CF card.
Without the appropiate fooler programmed card, the Tsetse board won't help.

A BB2e has two LED lights...one on top and bottom of the machine.
It cannot do what a Tsetse board does.

The 2nd photo below is a picture of two bluebird machines.
One of them is a BB2, and the other one is a BB2e...the "e" on the end of BB2 stands for "Emotive Lighting"...>>>

The game card/dongle is S7F5  OS: 13.37

The exact (and only) error in the attendant menu during setup reads... "Top box lost communication"  The friend thinks there's something in his topper acting as a fooler, but it's a stock WMS BB2e topper. There's no Tsetse in his machine.

I know the difference between a BB2 and BB2e

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2024, 09:16:39 AM »
BB2 wms toppers have not foolers on them, unless you have on of the "star" toppers that were used on some transmissive slot games.  Standard toppers don't have any hardware other than leds and supporting circuitry.  The topper has no interaction with the game.  Your friend probably has a fooler board somewhere.  The newer foolers are relatively small (about 2x4 inches) and typically have a 6 pin power and 24 pin molex connector for data.  You can't run the LOTR game depicted without a fooler as far as I know.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Pinaddicted

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2024, 10:12:56 AM »
BB2 wms toppers have not foolers on them, unless you have on of the "star" toppers that were used on some transmissive slot games.  Standard toppers don't have any hardware other than leds and supporting circuitry.

Rick

You may have answered the "Million Dollar Question" Do you take Monopoly money???   :24:

His BB2e was originally a transmissive machine, it has the pull handle on the side. He must have one of the "STAR" toppers that you mentioned.

The mystery may have been solved...  :yes:

Offline Pinaddicted

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2024, 06:33:55 PM »
BB2 wms toppers have not foolers on them, unless you have on of the "star" toppers that were used on some transmissive slot games.  Standard toppers don't have any hardware other than leds and supporting circuitry.  The topper has no interaction with the game.  Your friend probably has a fooler board somewhere.  The newer foolers are relatively small (about 2x4 inches) and typically have a 6 pin power and 24 pin molex connector for data.  You can't run the LOTR game depicted without a fooler as far as I know.

Rick

The "star" topper that you mentioned... is it named for its physical shape or another reason?

The topper that I was referencing earlier looks like a standard WMS oval topper, except is has a circuit board inside marked "RGB Marquee Controller"

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal