New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: S Plus Motherboard Resistor Question.  (Read 3631 times)

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 411
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: S Plus Motherboard Resistor Question.
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2019, 07:08:59 PM »
I don't know if this will help you or not as far as diagnosing...blow it up and you can try some of the stuff on it.

The document shows some tests you can try on the bottom...>>>

Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Eddie

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Eddie New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2019, 05:06:06 AM »
I don't know if this will help you or not as far as diagnosing...blow it up and you can try some of the stuff on it.

The document shows some tests you can try on the bottom...>>>

Wow Thanks ! This may help alot. I wont be able to test anything however until the resistor arrives.

I want to reinstall the boards after that is done, then power up the machine to see if it would work.

I leaning towards a failed chip because I dont understand how the Hopper motor is energized and doesnt stop rotating on power up.

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2019, 06:31:18 AM »
Next step may be to run a clear chip.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Topic Moderator
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2019, 08:58:25 AM »
A runaway hopper can be that there's some credits it's trying to pay out/ pay off but the hopper optics aren't counting.
I agree with Badbaud, after you either fix that motherboard or swap it with a new one, clear the RAM and start anew.

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Eddie

• NLG
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2019, 11:19:06 AM »
Thanks so much guys lets see what happens when I get the resistor and boards reinstalled.

Offline Eddie

• NLG
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2019, 06:33:39 PM »
Hey guys the resistor finally came in and after I installed it nothing changed. Here is a video of the problem.

<a href="http://youtu.be/QzUhYxm6YdU" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtu.be/QzUhYxm6YdU</a>
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 04:18:03 PM by knagl »

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 241
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2019, 06:45:04 PM »
The coin comparitor should not be lit when door is open.  Did you clear machine?

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2019, 06:50:56 PM »
I agree, the comparator should be off with the door open.
Wonder if the door detect circuit on the MPU board is bad, maybe a reset is not possible because a closed door is never detected?
Definitely running a clear chip would be the next step but door detect may be a related problem.

Offline Eddie

• NLG
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2019, 07:02:22 PM »
The coin comparitor should not be lit when door is open.  Did you clear machine?

When you say clear the machine do you mean with the cylinder key? There are no displays so I cant tell what its doing.

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2019, 07:19:55 PM »
You need to get a clear chip that plugs into the SP chip's socket and clears the RAM on the MPU board and the EEPROM on the backplane board.
Many people on this forum sell them including instructions.

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2019, 04:22:06 PM »
I don't think a clear chip is going to do it -- there's some kind of a short going on.  Normally the lights including the candle lights would not all be on steady like that, nor would the hopper run continuously.  It would be a good idea to make sure there aren't any stray coins, washers, etc. stuck under the motherboard (the fixed circuit board in the bottom of the machine that the MPU board plugs into).  If you power the machine on without the MPU board plugged in, does anything unusual happen?

I would consider trying a known good MPU board in there once you've verified that you don't have any stray coins laying around in the machine.  I suspect that your current MPU board has some issues.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline Eddie

• NLG
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2019, 06:59:22 AM »
There is nothing under the mother board. I removed it for rework and cleaned the entire area inside the machine. I wouldnt want t have to order a new boardset if it might not be that, or if I couldnt fix the boards I have.

If I power up the machine without the MPU what should I expect to see as far as things getting powered up?

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2019, 09:09:23 AM »
If I power up the machine without the MPU what should I expect to see as far as things getting powered up?
If you start up the machine without an MPU....>>>

1). The 25cent display lamp should on but nothing will be showing in the [Winner Paid], [Credits], or [Coins Played] displays.
2). All the fluorescent lighting should be on. (Belly, Reel glass, and Topbox)
3). The topbox candle should be off.
4). The reels will NOT be energized or "stiff".
5). Any fans will be on.
6). The hopper should be off.

Offline Eddie

• NLG
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2019, 07:42:37 PM »
If you start up the machine without an MPU....>>>

1). The 25cent display lamp should on but nothing will be showing in the [Winner Paid], [Credits], or [Coins Played] displays.
2). All the fluorescent lighting should be on. (Belly, Reel glass, and Topbox)
3). The topbox candle should be off.
4). The reels will NOT be energized or "stiff".
5). Any fans will be on.
6). The hopper should be off.

I powered up the machine without the MPU board and it did exactly what you wrote and the coin mech LED was off too!

If this is a chip issue any ideas which chip it could be?

Turns out my chip tester is too small for the socketed chips on the MPU

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 387
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2019, 08:07:12 PM »
Time to buy a working MPU board or send yours off for repair.  Badbaud works at K-lar and it is the only place I know of that can still repair them. 

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2019, 09:33:35 PM »
I agree with Tilt...plus you'll have a spare board to swap with later on.

Can you check a couple of things for me?
Slowly...and I mean slowly remove your chips from their sockets.
I'm suspecting a folded -under chip leg.
Also, carefully check ALL the pins on the bottom of your MPU....none are touching?

Be honest here...did you EVER remove or install the MPU with the power accidentally "ON"?
Did you hear anything make a slightly "crackle" or "Pop" sound?
How about smoke? Does anything smell burnt?

Offline Eddie

• NLG
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2019, 05:10:43 AM »
I removed the chips during my initial board inspection and cleaning.

No pins were damaged there are no burns on the board at all it looks pristine.

The caps all look fine no apparent leaks.

The transistors test fine no shorts.

I reworked all of the pins on the board and any possible cracked solder joints.

I Never remove boards with the power on.

The machine was working perfectly until power up last week when the issue was just there.

I reworked the Mother board cleaned it reworked all of the pins, ( Desolderd ,Cleaned ,Resoldered then cleaned again)

The only thing that was burned was on the Mother board resistor R3 which was toast but I replaced that.

Also the area of one pin, on its housing on the mother board connector, was slightly brown, Not the pin just the housing over its area. but I

replaced all pins in that housing.

I restore and Repair Pinball machines so I have do board work all of the time so if I have to remove a soldered chip or Cap its no problem just need to know which.

One

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2019, 10:43:30 AM »
Good...sounds like you can work with electronics okay.
Well...it won't hurt to have a spare board to compare with that's for sure.

It sounds like the motherboard is pushing all the other voltages thru....you're just not getting any logic signals from the MPU other than "stiff" reels.
Also, you're getting weird logic signals that are making the candle act weird as well as lighting up the coin comparitor light when it's not supposed to.
Other thing are wrong as well, hopper energized, door optics probably out, etc.

Signals are crossed somewhere on the MPU making everything screwed up logically.

Offline Eddie

• NLG
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2019, 11:49:09 AM »
Good...sounds like you can work with electronics okay.
Well...it won't hurt to have a spare board to compare with that's for sure.

It sounds like the motherboard is pushing all the other voltages thru....you're just not getting any logic signals from the MPU other than "stiff" reels.
Also, you're getting weird logic signals that are making the candle act weird as well as lighting up the coin comparitor light when it's not supposed to.
Other thing are wrong as well, hopper energized, door optics probably out, etc.

Signals are crossed somewhere on the MPU making everything screwed up logically.

If I were to get a new replacement board is it possible that one of the Chips (Game,Sound etc is corrupt and the issue would just carry over to the new board and possibly damaging it?) Would I have to order replacement chips as well to be on the safe side?

I really dont know anything about how these boards work and the common issues.

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 300
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2019, 12:20:31 PM »
Send me the boards to test!  I have a S+ tester,  and a test machine to put the mother board in.  I won't attempt to repair the board, for me its not worth the time versus the cost of a replacement board. 

At least you will know where you stand.  you will be out 28.70,  2 way shipping, USPS medium flat rate box.

I can also test your chips in a board I have.

let me know

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal