New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: WOF Topper Question  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Phan000

• NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 73
  • Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
WOF Topper Question
« on: October 14, 2023, 06:27:15 AM »
I’m finish my up a 1996 WOF I game.  It has this amazing topper.

The molex connections are obvious, but this rubber tubing has two wires inside.  Thinking this may be for the fiber optic lighting?

Does anyone recognize this connection?  Looks like it was just cut clean.

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: WOF Topper Question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2023, 08:42:04 AM »
I would remove that packing tape to expose what kind of splice someone did.
That type of tape is incorrect to use for electrical connections....it's waayy too thin.
It's better to use heat shrink tubing or electrical tape.

Where does the two wires from the spliced connection go to?...or come from?
It looks like what we call a "rat's nest"?
The cheap fiber optic lighting with that flexible yellow tubing that people buy online is usually 12 VDC.
I don't know if that's what's being used in this thing?

The Red wires would be the positive (+) 12 volts DC, while the black wires would be the ground negative (-) wires.
Do not use 115VAC power from a wall outlet unless you have a 12VDC transformer in between!!
I just did a search and found that Amazon sells yellow flexible optic lighting like this but it uses 110VAC power??
I would wait until you get some sort verifiction on what power is needed from someone that actually has a topper like that or has wiring schematics of the topper connections.

Somebody cut the wires inside the Molex housings....I don't like this mod :no:
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 08:46:01 AM »
I think you're right, it's for the fiber optic lighting.  Shine a flashlight on it from the bottom there and see if it lights up anything.

Offline Phan000

• Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2023, 06:03:32 PM »
I cracked open the topper.

Fiber optic light strip for the main image lighting.

I could not get into the metal case to see where the other wires go.

One is clearly for the candle,  other looks like it’s for the rod lights.

My cabinet has a candle connection and the florescent light,  but no other connections.

Not really sure what the rod lights should connect to?    Might be easier to replace the Fiber optics with some led strips?

Photos attached.

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2023, 06:17:05 PM »
That looks a lot different on the inside than what I thought it would.  I'm really not sure how that fiber optic tubing would illuminate the other rods coming out of the top since they're not physically connected.  Maybe it wasn't intended for that, but if not, what purpose did it serve? 

You may be better off going the LED strip route.  Most of those have a remote and you can changed the colors/patterns too.  Just make sure you get on that operates on 12V.

Offline Phan000

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2023, 06:21:08 PM »
That looks a lot different on the inside than what I thought it would.  I'm really not sure how that fiber optic tubing would illuminate the other rods coming out of the top since they're not physically connected.  Maybe it wasn't intended for that, but if not, what purpose did it serve? 

You may be better off going the LED strip route.  Most of those have a remote and you can changed the colors/patterns too.  Just make sure you get on that operates on 12V.

I think the rods are lit separately from a source behind the metal casing.  The candle and a separate 12v wire go into there.  I don’t see any way to access it, without removing the rods, and I’m worried they’ll snap.

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2023, 06:39:17 PM »
Ah ok.  The other holes I saw must be ventilation holes then.  I thought the rods went through them.   If there's another light source for the rods behind the metal enclosure then I wonder what the fiber tube did?  Maybe illuminate the front of the sign or is there a florescent lamp for that?

• Sr NLG Member
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2023, 05:05:17 AM »
Glad you removed that packing tape.
Now we see what's under it.
I would get a 12VDC adapter, send 12 volts down the red wire as positive wire,  black being the negative wire, and see what lights up.
Clearly someone spliced it already once before, to fit some adapter.
At least you'll know if someone already burned out the LED rope or not.
I have that same LED rope hanging somewhere in storage...I can dig it out and see what voltage it uses for you?
I was going to make a lighted tube using a red PEX hot water tube using the LED rope inside to light it up.
I wanted to fix it to light up whenever a machine went into hand pay mode. lol
I think you'll be safe to test yours with 12 VDC.

Note.
The tail end of that rope was cut, and they put a plastic cap on the end of it.
Like Tilt said, if you shine a flashlight or something thru it, it will light up the entire rope light.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 05:26:53 AM by Stayouttadabunker »

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Phan000

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2023, 08:02:40 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.

I think they cut the adaptor off that end because it would not fit through the small cabinet opening.

I think led light or rope is definitely the way to go.  Looks like there was fluorescent instead of fiber optic at some point.  The mounts for a round florescent are still there.

Is it possible (or wise) to splice off the candle wire, to power the other two 12v lights that will be up top?

Also a few medium deep scratches on the face of the front.  I was thinking of west sanding and buffing like a car headlight.  Would hate to ruin it though.

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2023, 05:00:16 PM »
Is it possible (or wise) to splice off the candle wire, to power the other two 12v lights that will be up top?

No...the candle lamps only come on during certain "events".
You'd want the display to be on whenever your machine is powered up.
You need to obtain a power adapter to energize the LED ropes.

I thinking using sandpaper is a bad idea on a topper.
Wait until lighting up the topper to see the scratches...you may not need to do anything once the topbox display is lit up.

Offline Phan000

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2023, 05:53:28 PM »
12v adaptor worked with the rod lighting.  Rainbow waves go back and forth across the top.

Pretty spectacular:)

Would this cabinet have some 12v to tie into anywhere reliably, of just use the 110v & adaptors?

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2023, 08:40:50 PM »
I'd stay with the adapter...easier on your power supply.
What is wrong with your monitor?
The picture appears to be cut off

Offline Phan000

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2023, 08:55:03 AM »
Almost done.

Looking nice and bright now!

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal