New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: SIGMA B9 - Power to ballast issues  (Read 2829 times)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 266
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
SIGMA B9 - Power to ballast issues
« on: April 25, 2019, 09:29:18 AM »
Ok time to post this...
I have a Sigma B9 video poker game. When I got the game, the top fluorescent light worked fine; and one tube for the belly glass flickered while the other didn't work at all. After some fiddling around, started and tube replacing, the both worked. I powered the game off to check something (I don't even remember now, it's been months) and back on and BOTH lower bulbs were out. Just to make sure I replaced/switched the starters and bulbs again with no change. The top still works.
I don't see how both ballasts go "go out" but does anyone know how I can check this damn wiring? I would think the power supply is ok since the top works but I can't trace this, for the life of me. The wiring just vanishes into a mass bundle. Do the lower ballasts get their input voltage from the top down?
How the hell does the ballast, tube and starter work? Are they in parallel?  :hissyfit:
This stuff shows my limits as a technician...  hence the reason I stay more behind the scenes here!
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: SIGMA B9 - Power to ballast issues
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 12:37:55 PM »
I had the same problems with my Sigma 150-B Treasure Tunnel....it's a PITA for sure!  :banghead:

I haven't turned it on in awhile....I'm afraid to  :24:
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 02:59:11 PM »
 :bump_2:

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 09:04:54 AM »
Well after just looking more closely I WAS able to follow the wires from the lower ballasts to the bundle and finally out of the bundle to a plug on the power distribution/supply board (if that's what it's called). So, both ballasts ARE supplied by one AC line at that plug.
I guess I can remove that board but it's going to be a pain.
It would be GREAT if anyone had a wiring diagram for that board. I can't believe no one on this forum has any knowledge of this seemingly common Sigma!

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 08:55:40 AM »
I removed the power distribution board and found that plug CN14 gets one line from the transformer 110v (there's 4 on it I think). The other side goes to these circled parts. Gary said the TSS1G41 is a bridge rectifier. I'm not sure what SK2 is.
I'd guess that when I was fussing around with bulbs I may have accidentally shorted something and blew the rectifier?
But does anyone know what the "SK" is?
I'm assuming I can test the rectifier like a diode or diodes with my meter on diode setting? I do have another one to compare it to. But logically should I test the transformer first? I highly doubt it's bad though since everything else including the top fluorescent light works.
Any comments to my slight confusion? Click on the first photo for a closer look at the two parts in question.

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 305
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 03:48:47 PM »
See attached on how a tube is lit up.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 04:17:39 PM by shortrackskater »
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 305
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 03:53:09 PM »
I removed the power distribution board and found that plug CN14 gets one line from the transformer 110v (there's 4 on it I think). The other side goes to these circled parts. Gary said the TSS1G41 is a bridge rectifier. I'm not sure what SK2 is.
I'd guess that when I was fussing around with bulbs I may have accidentally shorted something and blew the rectifier?
But does anyone know what the "SK" is?
I'm assuming I can test the rectifier like a diode or diodes with my meter on diode setting? I do have another one to compare it to. But logically should I test the transformer first? I highly doubt it's bad though since everything else including the top fluorescent light works.
Any comments to my slight confusion? Click on the first photo for a closer look at the two parts in question.
Those are used for line noise suppression and don't usually go bad.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 04:18:46 PM »
I'll check the transformer then. I've never had one go bad.
Gary suggested "borrowing" from the top ballast to test the lowers so I might try hot-wiring that to see if the bulbs light up.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 09:30:09 AM »
The transformer tap is providing voltage to each ballast. Both have an output of 100V (or close). Last night I checked everything again. I've replaced the tubes but I tired another new one. The tube flickered and went OUT.
So I removed the top housing, removed the working tube and tried the three other tubes there. NONE worked. So for some odd reason, I'm blowing out tubes in the lower part.
Lost.  :Scratch-Head:
Can both ballasts be doing this?

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 11:00:25 AM »
I have had ballast just die. I’ve seen these small ballast do to different things when they go bad. First is that they are very slow to light the bulb, and the second is as your describing by blowing out the new bulb.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline Amechanic

• Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 11:22:33 AM »
Just found this on YouTube. Explains how the florescent bulb and ballast work together.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z55566ep0Hg
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 03:26:08 PM »
Thanks... and did you remember you posted this a couple years ago?
http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=15241.0

I'm going to some more continuity checking including resistance on the ballasts. If it ends up being those, I think Home Depot has a universal that would work for both I think.

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 03:58:50 PM »
Yea that 5500 was a pain in my butt, it was at a new car dealership about 8 miles from my house.. Owner took them in on a trade in..  Stupid Bally crimp connectors were just a little bit Smaller. Its a good thing I had about 6 of those size connectors.. So I would look over those bulbs sockets for anything possible causing a short. If they look good then it's time for new ballast.. Granger, HD, Lowe's, or a lighting store should have those parts..

And remember...

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2019, 09:46:02 AM »
Two ballasts ordered...

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2019, 10:13:38 AM »
I don’t want to play I told you so card, but I will..🤨😵
And remember...

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2019, 09:06:28 AM »
Well whattya know... it was BOTH ballasts. It still bothers me why two went bad but I'm guessing it happened long before I had it.
(this is my other Sigma B9, not to be confused with the one I posted recently in "before and after.")
Still when I first replaced the two starters, and then put in the first tube, it DID stay on but perhaps that bulb was just hearty enough to last until I shut the power off to adjust the lower sockets before installing in the second bulb?  :Scratch-Head:
Well anyway... they BOTH work now with the new ballasts.

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2019, 09:44:20 AM »
Nice job. Had a feeling it was the ballast.
And remember...

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal