New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Model 873 Blowing 110V fuses  (Read 725 times)

Offline big_e

• Contributing NLG Member
  • New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • big_e New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Model 873 Blowing 110V fuses
« on: December 22, 2019, 12:55:55 PM »
Ive got an 873 I am trying to fix for a friend.  Works great until you close the door and then the fuse on the 110 side is toast.
Obviously I went through all the wires on the hinge side of the door assuming I would find something worn through, but did not.  Its frustrating.  I think I am going to wire in a circuit breaker so I can reset it each time rather than having to replace a fuse.
In the meant time, any thoughts on the culprit?  If its door mounted it could only be fluorescents right?
ThanksE

Offline rjpohl

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 136
  • rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Model 873 Blowing 110V fuses
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 02:31:08 PM »
I had one that a wire on one light socket touched frame.  Just had to rotate it.  It was on the side opposite hinges.

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 05:22:01 PM »
Did you try insulating the wires from the door frame with some tape?
Try closing the door slowly as a reference to when the fuse blows.
With the door open physically move the wires to simulate door closure.

The wire bundle at the frame may have a bare wire or two.
Rotate the bundle as to get a good look, orange, red and lighter brown wires may appear okay.
As the copper is harder to see when exposed on these colors.

In the hinge area, these wires make a lot of movement and can wear through.
Also the 110 v transformer wiring could be effected by the door closing.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 171
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 09:46:37 PM »
if you can't find it and don't have a schematic, what's the complete model number on the plate below the handle?

many of the 873's don't have a lot of 120V circuits on the door - just the two fluorescent lamps, the starters and the ballasts for them.

the pinball guys often solder a pushbutton circuit breaker to a blown fuse.  One of these things:
https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Thermal-Overload-Protector-Circuit/dp/B07NRX34S5

if you had more time to wait for shipping, you can get them on aliexpress.com for around 0.70 each, and those vendors will have lots of amperage values so you can get a 3A, 5A, 10A, etc. assortment for a few bucks.  e.g.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/3019003

while you can solder the blown fuse directly to the breaker terminals, that may be a problem if the fuse holder is blocked by something.  I prefer to solder wires to the fuse and put 6.3mm female terminal connectors on the wires like these:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32826497604.html

that'll let you swap the breaker for whatever amperage you need.

Offline RiseLikeRa

• Reputation Power: 62
  • RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 11:10:17 PM »
Big E:

A short in the door is a perfect opportunity for my lights out short finding method.  Get the room, and the game as dark as you can and then shut the door.  Look for the small arc.  There is your problem wire.  Case Closed, pun intended.

Ra
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 07:09:29 AM by RiseLikeRa »

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 06:40:50 AM »
Good advice Ra.

Also look on the front of the reel mechanism chassis and latch handles for any burn marks.

Offline RiseLikeRa

• Reputation Power: 62
  • RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 07:15:30 AM »
David I am amazed by you and some others on this list. The way that you guys dive deep into a problem makes me look like a surfer for sure.  With no formal training or engineering background I try to stay in my lane and keep it simple.

Sometimes it works.   When it  doesn't I reach out to you big guns.  I am forever grateful.

Ra

Offline big_e

• Contributing NLG Member
  • New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • big_e New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 09:18:33 AM »
Thank you all for the advice, I will try all of these later.

I grabbed a 3A breaker from the shop where I work.  We build control panels so they are in ample supply.  I will wire that in place of the fuse so I can quickly reset.
Next Ill do some high level looks for bare wires in the bundle that goes around the hinge.  If I cant find it I will wait til its dark and slowly close door and see if it stands out.
I appreciate you all.  Merry Christmas!
E

Offline OldReno

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 75
  • OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 01:03:31 PM »
If it’s not in the door, then pull out each unit one by one & see which one blows the fuse. It may not always be a 120v short that blows the main fuse. Also unplug each of your 2 molex door plugs & see which one is making it blow.
There are some writings on checking for shorts somewhere here.
With machine unplugged check on ohms for a short to case. Machines are designed with case ground only, and no circuits connected to case. Check shorts to case especially with 20,30 and 70 wires. Or you can do it with power on if you’re comfortable with your VOM on A.C. 
We used to quickly rake a pocket screwdriver touching to case to check those 3 wires when working on the floor. The size of the spark could tell you if it was a 120,50, or 6v short.
But ya hadda be quick...lol.

The real picture of the Face on Mars.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal