New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: 3902 to 044 Conversion Monitor Questions  (Read 1009 times)

Online Ash100

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 67
  • Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!
  • NLG
3902 to 044 Conversion Monitor Questions
« on: July 10, 2020, 01:17:43 PM »
Ok, I'll explain this the best way that I can.

I've got a lot of extra 3902 cabinets with 19 pin LCD monitors in them which are in much better condition than the few 044 cabinets that I have available to me.

So what I'm doing is converting the 3902 cabinets into 044's with Flashboards, etc.

I've swapped the backplane out but used all of the original 3902 wiring. Which was wired for 19 pin monitors. The 044 cabinets all have 25 pin LCD's. So, my question is this...

Will my 19 pin LCD's work in the current configuration or will I start burning stuff up if I start my power on checks?

I'm assuming that it is recommended to use the 25 pin wiring harness for the 044 machines and not the 19 pin?

I haven't had the chance to look at the schematics yet to tell the difference between the 2, other than the extra pins.

And of course I never think about any if this stuff until I'm at work and then can't look anyway.

So, chime in with your expert advise if you know off the top of your head, but honestly I'm thinking that a rewire would need to be done to keep the 19 pin harness in the machine.

Thank you, 

Curtis ash100
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 06:10:21 PM by Ash100 »
Eat 'till you're tired, Sleep 'till you're hungry

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
Re: 3902 to 044 Conversion Monitor Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 02:01:35 PM »
The 19 pin configuration will work with 044, that is the way mine is running.  It has a 19 pin LCD monitor on it.  The only issue with some LCD's is the setting that needs to be changed for it to work right with 044.  I don't believe it applies to CRT monitors, only LCD's.  There's a thread somewhere about the ceronix LCD that displays weird colors when used with an 044 setup, and then you change a setting on the lcd menus to fix it.  In some cases, you have to flip a jumper setting on the AD board. 
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Online Ash100

• Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 02:17:34 PM »
Thanks Rick,

That makes sense, but what I was mostly concerned about was the pinout of the 044 backplane compared to the 3902.

Maybe there's not any difference and nothing needs to be changed. Like I said, I'm using the original cabinet wiring harnesses and they all plug straight into the new backplane the exact same way they did on the old one.

So that being said, it's currently wired for a 19 pin connection at the monitor, so as long as the signals coming from the 044 backplane match the signal output pins of the 3902, we should be good?

Just wanted to be sure that I didn't need yo re-pin a harness somwhere.

Curtis ash100

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 03:24:30 PM »
There is no re-pinning of anything.  I've converted two 3902 cabinets to 044.  The only issue has been the LCD monitor.  My 17" cabinet's lcd automatically detected the change.  My bartop, I had to remove the monitor to get access to the A/D board and move the jumper to get it to work right.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Online Ash100

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 05:49:20 PM »
Thanks again,

That's what I wanted to hear! Lol

Appreciate the help.

Curtis ash100

Online Ash100

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 11:49:08 AM »
Ok,

Got everything installed in the cabinet and started my power on checks.

Have a known good 19 pin monitor, same one that originally came out of this particular cabinet. Also known good Mars MEI BV, also previously installed in cabinet.

All components worked as advertised in the 3902 configuration.

Swapped over the backplane only, it was an untested unit purchased for the conversion. MPU was pulled from a donor cabinet, working fine in it.

Upon powering up, I got the standard errors, turned key etc. Now I have a Touchscreen Failure message and a Bill Validator communication error.

This is kinda what I was afraid of. It seems that I'm missing the signals to power the BV and Touch Controller.

Any inputs would be appreciated.

See photos attached. Plus all leds on MPU are illuminated, if that means anything.

I can't clear RAM and apply Keychip until the touchscreen issue is solved.

Thanks, Curtis ash100

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 12:14:11 PM »
Those are netplex devices.  Are you sure you didn't reverse the senet and netplex plugs mixed up?  One of the issues with these machines is that netplex is a single bus, and any failure along the line, brings the entire netplex bus down.  Like I mentioned before all cabinets I have transitioned never had any issues with pinouts, power, etc.  The ONLY issue is the monitor sync.  If you are having issues, you pugged in something the wrong way.  Unplug the senet and netplex plugs and make sure you have the correct connections (the connectors should be labeled with a PXX label), match those labels with your old mainboard and take note which one is senet and which one is netplex (the connectors look the same) then go back and look at your connections.  You can test the validator to see if the error goes out by removing the netplex plugs from the backplane.  The touchscreen also has it's own connector, so removing the netplex pug from the backplane should isolate just those two devices.

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 240
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 12:33:23 PM »
Reseat the 044 board, make sure it's slid in all the way. Check for bent pins.

Online Ash100

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 01:26:25 PM »
Thanks Mark and Rick.

Pulled MPU, inspected pins and verified the connections on the backplane. All Plug numbers match the Jack numbers on motherboard, so everything is plugged in correctly.

Swapped the Flashboard over to a different MPU, solved the BV and Touchscreen errors. Machine hangs up at verify all options box once it booted.

Checked items in the menu that I could access without a keychip process. Got a BV CRC Mismatch that I couldn't clear. Restarted the machines and now it's hung up on Initializing the Sysyem.

Been that way for 10 minutes.

I'll keep at it.

Thanks again.

Curtis ash100

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 01:33:13 PM »
If you swapped mpu's you need to re-key and clear.  Also clearing BV CRC's is done through the peripheral menu, there should be a clear crc in the bv settings.

Online Ash100

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 02:09:44 PM »
Oh boy, I've about had it with this thing today!

Put in the Keychip, now the touchscreen won't work again.

Uggh.

Update, even tried a different monitor.
What's up with that? Is it too hot maybe? I'm in my shop in Georgia, and there's no A/C.

Curtis ash100
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 02:33:09 PM by Ash100 »

Offline RB

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 351
  • RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2020, 02:42:28 PM »
Be sure your MPU fan is working. 044 boards will get hot quick without the fan. There's no need to remove the boot to key chip it if you use a 39 boot.
Quality doesn't cost. It pays.

Online Ash100

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2020, 02:52:24 PM »
Tried 2 MPUs, Boot 39 and Key28,
Can get to the menu, but touchscreen won't respond.

Can't RAM clear and start anything if that's not working.

Checked all fans, they're spinning freely.

Completely at a loss at this point.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Curtis ash100

Offline wizeone

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • wizeone New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2020, 06:18:56 AM »
same or different backplane?

have you also removed the green battery and u24 (if US software) http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=4092.0

Online Ash100

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 06:09:51 PM »
Finally got the machine cleared and set up.

Apparently it was a heat issue? Was working on it out in my shop, which is not air conditioned, so I moved the machine inside and let everything cool down. Touchscreen came back and works now.

Georgia heat in the summertime sucks!

Thanks for all of the great advice.

Curtis ash100

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal