New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Replaced the battery - but still no joy  (Read 801 times)

Offline skacey

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • skacey New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Replaced the battery - but still no joy
« on: July 13, 2020, 04:37:21 PM »
I've got a GK that about six months ago quit working with the Low Battery Error. From my understanding it's a 4.x (GME1 & GME2 = G0001777)

I got a new battery, but life got in the way for a few months. Today I replaced that battery, but I've still got an error:

"Main Battery Low Options Verification Required"

I'm thinking at this point I have three options:

1. The battery is fine, but needs to build up a charge - I'm going to leave it running overnight to see if I get lucky

2. The battery is not fine and I have to replace it again

3. I did something wrong and need help (thus I'm here)

I've also entertained the option to upgrade to the 044 versions but I'm just not sure how much that would cost or where to get all of the parts. It's a bit overkill for a battery, but would give us more to play.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: Replaced the battery - but still no joy
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 07:22:50 PM »
2 or 3. 

The main battery is not a rechargeable battery and the MPU doesn't have any circuitry that would charge it.  Check the battery voltage with a multimeter.  It should read at least 3 volts with a new battery.  Did you solder the battery in or did your MPU already have a battery holder installed? 

Factory original required the battery to be soldered on, but many have been replaced with battery holders that allow easier changes in the future.  Some are CR2032, some CR2354. Some people do a good job soldering, others create more problems trying to do it.  Maybe post some pics.  They have to be under 1MB in size.

Offline skacey

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 07:34:11 AM »
Got it - I will pull the board tonight, test and take pictures.

Offline skacey

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 03:16:05 PM »
Ok, I'm going to post my journey just in case it helps someone else.

I desoldered the battery and re-cleaned the lands and the board. I spent some time with a tester to figure out where on the board I could measure the battery connections.

For the positive side I found that both R13 and R22 closest to the battery had continuity.

For the negative side I found that C20 farthest from the battery had continuity.

That suggests that a good solder should show about 3v between R13/R22 and C20 (indicating that the battery was actually feeding power to the components)

I tested the new battery and got 2.98v (close enough)

I decided to bend the battery pins down this time and soldered both to the back of the board. Testing R13 to C20 got 2.83v

I put the board back and got a fault screen. Turn the key and got the reset screen. Reset the board and IT WORKED  :yes:

These were my worst looking solders, but if it works I'll take it.

Here is a pic showing were to test and my terrible solder job: https://i.imgur.com/ptQ4Ksa.jpg

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 08:59:44 AM »
I was reading this thread and liked it.

Good job guys.  :cool_thumb_up:

I'd like to add a question to it.

At what point of battery drain voltage under 3V, does the MPU display "Low Battery"? :scratch-head_2:
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal