New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Can't clear Main Battery Low message  (Read 318 times)

Offline knutt185

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • knutt185 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Can't clear Main Battery Low message
« on: February 19, 2024, 02:04:30 PM »
Hello,
I have searched the forum and still cant figure out the problem I'm having with my IGT Game King.  It has the 044 board.  I got the main battery low message so I pulled the board and replaced the battery.  I tested the battery that was originally in the board and it was at 3 volts.  The new battery tested at 3.1 volts. I also cleaned the battery holder.  Restarted the machine and still had the message.  I tried the clearing the message with the attendant switch on the side and also the reset button on the front of the board holder.  Nothing.  When i hit the reset switch or turn the attendant switch it takes me to the attendant menu and shows the main battery low message in pending tilts.  I tried a ram clear with the Key28 chip and when that didn't work I used the Key28 chip again and cleared everything and set the machine up again.  I still get the same Main Battery Low message.

If anyone has any suggestions for me I would be extremely happy.

Thanks
Ken
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 02:25:51 PM by Tilt »

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: Can't clear Main Battery Low message
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 02:41:27 PM »
 :NLG_WELCOME:

Clearing, resetting, etc isn't going to help you with a battery low error.  It'll only clear when the machine sees battery voltage in the proper range. 

Check the battery voltage with the battery installed.  Put the + on the top of the battery holder and the - to the metal tray.  Note that voltage.  Then move the + lead to U65 pin 8 (it's about an inch from the battery) and see what you read there.  Then get back with the results.

Offline knutt185

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2024, 04:59:59 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Tilt.

Voltage at the battery is 3.1.  I do not get any voltage reading on pin 8 on U65.  I do get 3.1 volts on pins 1 and 5 though.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2024, 05:59:05 PM »
I think that you may have got the IC pin numbering off a little.  I attached a picture of how it's numbered just FYI, but your battery connection is good to have battery voltage at that point and that's what I needed to know. 

Since you have good battery connections and voltage I think you have a problem with a voltage divider network that's used to set the reference voltages the machine looks at to determine when the battery is low.  I've fixed a couple of 3902 MPUs that had the same problem and they had resistors in a divider network that drifted way out of tolerance and caused the machine to think the battery was low when it wasn't, which is what yours is doing.  I've never had a problem like it my 044s, but it's a similar circuit to the 3902s.

I don't know if you have the tools to replace SMD resistors or not, but here's the schematic for that network.  Check the resistor values in the red box and make sure they're what they should be.  If you find one or more out of tolerance replace it and that should solve the problem.  If you don't have the tools or don't want to mess with it I'd contact member Lookes and see if he can take a look at it for you.  It should be a pretty easy fix.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2024, 06:23:20 PM »
I forgot to mention that some of those resistors may be on backside of the MPU board.  If so, you'll need to remove the MPU board from the tray to get to them.  1/2 the battle is just locating these little components on the board!

Offline knutt185

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2024, 05:22:02 PM »
Thanks again for the help Tito.  I did get the pin number off a bit.  I found the resistors in the schematic you sent.  Of course they were on the back side of the circuit board.  Dang they are tiny.  Nothing like the resistors I worked with when I was younger.  I did measure the values and attached a sheet with the results.  I tested with the battery in and battery removed from the board.  The one resistor, R392, I couldn't get a reading on when the battery was in since the meter was jumping all over the place but I was able to get a reading with the battery removed.  This is supposed to be a refurbished board.  I had the same issue a couple months ago and took it to my slot guy.  He said the other board was bad and needed to be sent in to be repaired.  I got this board back and within a few days ended up with the same low battery message.  It makes me wonder if some of the resistors are bad if there is something else going on with the machine that is causing issues with this board.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2024, 05:53:21 PM »
Yeah, they're pretty tiny aren't they?  R392 and R393 are reading too low, but you may need to remove them in order to get an accurate measurement.  Other than the resistors U26 is the only semiconductor in the chain that could possibly be bad.  My experience has been resistors though. 

It's hard to say what may have been done to the board while it was out of your hands or even if you got the same board back.  Marking it or recording the serial number is really the only way to know if it was the same or different. 

If you have the equipment/skills to remove and check those give it a shot and see what they read.  If not, well I guess you could try your slot guy again or contact lookes and see if he'll take a look at it for you.  I doubt there's anything else outside the MPU board that would cause this problem.  Personally I'd check with lookes, he has a good reputation for doing good work.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal