New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Haywire S+ random stopping  (Read 643 times)

Offline haywire64

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • haywire64 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Haywire S+ random stopping
« on: March 06, 2024, 06:08:40 PM »
I have a Haywire S+ 25 cent machine that had been sitting a while. When I turned it on the lights wouldn't come on and it wouldn't go through the complete start up sequence. I changed all the lights and starters which didn't help. I then after watching some videos and reading forums realised that one of the wiring harnesses had a brown spot so I ordered a new one and then I got a code 61. I ordered a new battery, installed it, pressed the reset button and turned the key once and everything came on. The bill validator isn't working great, sometimes it works and sometimes the bill gets stuck but I am able to get credits if I'm persistent. I can use coins to get credits too. My main problem is I can play the machine once I get credits in and everything seems to be working fine. Then it will just stop, reels don't spin, some lights don't work, I can push the buttons but the only thing that happens is the light behind the 25 cent glass goes dim. Then after 10 or so seconds, it continues on like nothing is wrong. Has this happened to anyone else? I haven't found anything on line. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 301
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Haywire S+ random stopping
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 06:20:04 PM »
That denom lamp is run by 7vac , going dim would indicate that new connector is not making a good connection at the motherboard, the pins probably have some corrosion or oxidation, clean them very well, see if that doesn't cure the problem.

do this with the power off, remove the hopper so you have a good work area.

Hope this helps

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline haywire64

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 06:25:17 PM »
Jim, thanks for the reply. I did what you said and here's what I found. The new cord I purchased off EBay already has started to turn brown on the same pin as the old one. I had originally spend a fair amount of time cleaning the pins the first time. Looking at the new harness the connector that is turning brown seems to not be as tight as the other slots of the plug like the brass is pushed away. Could this be a bad harness or could there be something I may be missing. There was already more build up on the previously cleaned pin. Is there a trick or procedure to cleaning them? Thanks for all the help!
Eric

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2024, 07:07:22 AM »
It would not hurt to spray some deoxidization cleaner on the male pins of the motherboard, or the female pins in the power harness housing.
I use this stuff from an auto parts store...>>>

https://www.autozone.com/miscellaneous-cleaners-and-degreasers/electrical-parts-cleaner/p/crc-qd-electronic-cleaner-11oz/128435_0_0?searchText=electronics+cleaner

There's also De-Oxit contact cleaner.
All you need is a drop on each pin.

If you're good at soldering, you could tin the male pins with a fresh solder?
However, normally the problem is the weakened female pins not grasping the male pins tightly anymore.
I like changing out the female pins entirely with brand new ones.
They're only .14 cents each.
Here's where I get them...>>>

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/08-50-0032?qs=K8BHR703ZXiD8qx3EifaeQ%3D%3D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 12:06:03 PM by Stayouttadabunker »
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline haywire64

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2024, 11:23:17 AM »
This helps a lot thanks! I give it a try and let you know how things go. I appreciate all the help!!!

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 86
  • Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.
  • Power Supply and other electronics repair and help
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2024, 04:51:45 PM »
Haywire64,
 I sell the cables and motherboard connector here, and on ebay.  I'm curious if the one you purchased on ebay was from me, I go by trisailtony on ebay. I haven't received any feedback on problems with the cables, they do have the Trifurcon contacts Slay- pictured above. If you would like, or need another one , PM me and I will send you one, even if you just want it for future or be sure it's not the problem. Your explanation of your issue(s) sound like power cable is the culprit.

https://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=32733.msg173795#msg173795
Tony

You can fix almost any electronic device by replacing the aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

Offline haywire64

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2024, 06:18:16 PM »
Trisail, the original one wasn't from you but I did just purchase one from you last night. Thanks for the help!

• Topic Moderator
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2024, 07:23:14 AM »
Those trifurcon contact pins are better than the stock pins.

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline haywire64

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2024, 10:14:04 AM »
Update, I changed the power cord to the motherboard and installed new male pins on the motherboard. I also used the spray recommended but am still having the same issue. I am attaching the pics of my machine and will post a video next showing what it is doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2024, 10:44:00 AM »
It looks like you have the denomination light on only.
If that is the case, I would say you don't have power to the motherboard. You can remove the hopper and use your meter to check the pins and see if power is present. Raise the connector a bit if you need to. I will assume fuses are good... check for bent/missing pins on the mpu board.
Recheck all the motherboard connectors are correct and plugged in.
Tony

You can fix almost any electronic device by replacing the aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 301
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2024, 11:18:45 AM »
sounds like a intermittent fuse cap, have seen alot of those on S plus machines, even though the fuse is good, the spring in the fuse cap has lost its tinsel strength.  wiggle the top fuses on the power supply module and see if you duplicate your issue.

Hope this helps

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline haywire64

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2024, 11:37:15 AM »
Trisail, I tested the power on the cable and I get Orange-10V, Orange/green 10V, Brown/blue 5v, Blue 4V, Green 0v, Green 0v, done with my digital meter. Also noted that when I push the play 2 credit button the bill acceptor light comes on and the denomination light gets brighter.
Jim, I will try wiggling the fuse caps too.
Thanks guys!

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2024, 12:22:51 PM »
Here are pictures of the original power connector in a machine. Also the pinout schematic for the connector.

You should measure AC voltage from either of the green wires on the right of the connector to the other 4 wires.

Green (1 or 2) to blue (3)= 7vac
Green (1 or 2 to brown/blue (4) = 8vac
Green (1 or 2) to orange/green (5) = 12vac or maybe 24vac
Green (1 or 2) to orange (6) = 12vac or 0vac
Been a while on the last 2 readings. When I know for sure I will correct the post.

You can unplug the connector and do the readings in the straight 6 pin connector to see if something is loading down the voltage. A comparison plugged on motherboard and unplugged may give us more information.
Tony

Offline haywire64

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2024, 03:39:44 PM »
Trisail, here's what I found. with the plug on the board
Green 1 or 2 to blue = 6vac
Green 1or 2 to brown/blue = 7vac
Green 1 or 2 to orange/green = 12vac
Green 1 or 2 to orange = 12vac
Plug off the board
Green 1 to blue = 13vac
Green 1 to brown/blue =12vac
Green 1 to orange/green = 12vac
Green 1 to orange = 12vac
Green 2 to blue = 8vac
Green 2 to brown/blue = 9vac
Green 2 to orange and green = 10vac
Green 2 to orange = 14vac
Totally different readings. I also played the machine for probably 15 minutes using the add 1 credit button and the spin reels button and it only stopped once. However it stated to smell like burnt electric so I stopped and opened the machine and found the one wire had basically melted. I then pulled off the board to look it over and found this underneath. Could this be my issue or possibly something else?

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2024, 03:51:20 PM »
That is probably the problem. You started with a burnt pin here already.
I would like you to check the cable below and compare it with the one I sent to be sure I wired it correct.

Let's sanity check and see what we have.
Tony

Offline haywire64

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2024, 04:18:54 PM »
Trisail, looks like it's the same. Where would I go to get a new board, or are they available? I'm assuming I should start there first.
Thanks

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2024, 04:26:46 PM »
Check with Jim Midwest slots or maybe Chism he does WMS. Place a want ad if you can.
Tony

Offline haywire64

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2024, 06:26:07 PM »
What is this board called? I have a manual but can't find the exact name so I can start asking around. Sorry, new to this.
Thanks!

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2024, 07:37:35 PM »
The long circuit board attached to the floor of an S+ cabinet...we call it the...>>> "IGT S+ Motherboard."

Click on photo below to enlarge if needed...>>>

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal