New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: 873 overflow diverter issue  (Read 935 times)

Offline Phan000

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 73
  • Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
873 overflow diverter issue
« on: June 08, 2020, 02:21:18 PM »
Hello,

I bought an 873 yesterday.  It is in fantastic shape.  Everything seems to work, but I have 2 minor issues:

There is a constant buzzing from the overflow diverter in the door. If I put weight on the hopper it
Stops, but the coins get sent to the hole instead of the hopper.

[size=78%]Also,  I’ve not heard the bell Yet.  Only minor payouts so far,  no[/size]

[size=78%]Jackpots.  Is this normal? [/size]

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 241
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: 873 overflow diverter issue
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 03:19:49 PM »
Unless you plan on using the overflow, I would de-solder or snip the wires going to the diverter coil that is buzzing,  No more buzz, no more overflow.

Offline off-track

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • off-track New User barely matters.off-track New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 04:26:06 PM »
I'd try grabbing the diverter coil and moving it a little to see of the buzzing stops or changes.  Buzzing coils on my em's are usually due to a loose mount or worn stop.

I've only ever heard the bell on three 7's.

Offline rdaniel

• Reputation Power: 27
  • rdaniel New User barely matters.rdaniel New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 08:32:08 PM »
The buzzing should stop when the diverter coil is de-energized, which causes coins to go into the cash box. You have the new style hopper, called a snow hopper. There is a switch at the bottom of the hopper which de-engages the coil when the  the coins in hopper reach a certain weight.   The problem might be the armature which the coil pulls in when energized. It could not be making good contact which will cause buzzing. Over the years the energized metal coil contacts wear a pattern into the back of the armature which impacts the contact. I suggest two things:  place a strip of electrical tape over the worn section of the armature, or take steel wool or light sand paper and sand down the wear marks to a smooth finish or both.

Offline RiseLikeRa

• Reputation Power: 62
  • RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 11:03:16 PM »

Phan:

Congratulations on your new purchase.  Now you just have to get one in each denomination from 5 cents to silver dollar. :rotfl:

As usual rdaniel is spot on with his history and information about the fix.  FIRST decide if you are going to actually mount the game on a table or stand with a hole in it to accept the overflow.  If not you can use the snip method that six card suggested. 

As an alternative to the snip/invasive surgery, may I suggest just tracing the wires from the coil back to the molex plug in the door.  Simply remove from the plug and tape the offending wires with electrical tape.  This way you can simply snap the wires back into the plug if you want to restore your machine to original condition.  Removing the barbed terminals is a bit of a challenge without and EXTREMELY fine screwdriver OR a terminal remover tool that I purchased from the since defunct Radio Shack.

As usual my advice is free and worth every penny
Ra

Offline rdaniel

• Reputation Power: 27
  • rdaniel New User barely matters.rdaniel New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 02:39:50 PM »
Ra,  when you speak of snipping wires on the machine do you suggest that Phan000 give the machine a vasectomy?

Offline RiseLikeRa

• RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 02:50:38 PM »
RD:

That was NOT my idea,  six card is the one who suggested the elective snip surgery.  I put forward a more homeopathic solution. :propeller:

Ra

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 05:34:07 PM »
I have found that if you use a finger nail file/emery board that you can buy at a dollar store work good for cleaning up the surfaces of the coil and diverter. Put the emery board between the 2 surfaces and file away. I have also found that the tension springs get soft. So I will cut 1 or 2 loops off that spring, then rebend a spring loop and reinstall. Do the finger test on the area where the spring connects before you do any cutting. I do the same thing to the scavenger coil behind the coin mech.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 01:30:55 PM »
Clean the coil surface and the plate. Test plate alignment and free movement.
Activate and observe the armature using the hopper switch.

Caution, disabling the mechanism may cause overflow / damaged.

Offline essmeier

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • essmeier New User has no influence.
  • CTE
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 01:36:34 PM »
I've only ever heard the bell on three 7's.
Mine rings on three sevens (or it did the one time I got that combination in the 12 years I've owned it) and mine also rings for three bars, which is a not-terribly-rare win combination.

Offline RiseLikeRa

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2020, 04:48:29 AM »
I have 3 of them now.  ALL of them ring with the same hits as Essmeier.  That adds to the excitement.  I like the bells.  As I said before, I thing that the 873 Fruit machine is the King of the non exotic EM's!

My opinion is free and worth every penny.

Ra

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal